OneWest Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 20, 2017

1.0
Ellen Alemany

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment in my department (in 10 reviews)

• Nice work-life balance, no micromanagment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are people in Manager or upper management roles that shouldn't be in those roles (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management was knowledgeable but not great leaders (in 9 reviews)

1. "Relationship Center Operations Manager"

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

Salaries are ok for new employees. Willing to make exceptions on CD account rate increase

Cons

Employees that have been there for many years are underpaid. Incentive program not good. Too difficult to get paid out. There are people in Manager or upper management roles that shouldn't be in those roles. Operations in the branches set employees for failure. Unnecessary sales pressure for deposits to branch staff.

Advice to Management

Review and revise incentive program (pay per product), and management personnel. Listen and act on employee concerns and complaints, to avoid turn over. Align operations policies and procedures to processes set in place in the branches and reduce the amount of paperwork, to digital form to save time and money.

2. "Vice President"

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

Branch hours and clients are the only pros at this company.

Cons

Horrible leadership. Regionals are not able to support their branches and unqualified for the position. Staffing is horrible.

3. "Unimpressive"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hmm, can't think of any.

Cons

If you want to be part of a cookie cutter company, be my guest. I am referring to the bank branches. Some offices make their goals easily, the money walks in the door with little or no effort on the part of the employees. Other offices work their tail off for every single penny and the reward is a higher goal. The correct term should be quota. Yup, sell what gets you to your quota and ignore the customers needs. Business as usual. Work, life balance, what is that???

Advice to Management

Get lost, you don't know what you are doing.

4. "Terrible company"

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

hours are great compared to other banks

Cons

Everything about this company is terrible! I have never worked at a more unorganized bank before. Branches were constantly running off of 3 maybe 4 people, always short staffed. Quarterly bonuses were a joke. The way this company is going, I wouldn't be surprised if it completely shut down in a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Hire management that actually knows what they are talking about when it comes to banking and operations. Buy new equipment, so we are not constantly depending on old and slow systems.

5. "Do not apply"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say about the company

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for their employees... no support from management or back office. Turn over is insane in this company. 12 employees quit in a matter of 3 months in a single district which says a lot

6. "Manager"

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

It is a great place to develop client relationships however the products offered limits how deep when can develop that relationship

Cons

Senior management is terrible, especially RMs. They don't care about the challenges that happen on the front lines and there is a constant demonstration of favoritism. RM is not consistent in messages with the team causing confusion and frustration. Branch teams are not happy and looking to leave company. HR does not listen nor care about concerns of the team employees, even when there is clear and evident harassment. Not a good place to work

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don't push people out if they have valid concerns. HR do something about the issues that are happening.

7. "Retail Banking"

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

None since merger which happened summer 2015

Cons

Goals are un realistic and compensation structure is terrible, too many people leave and the recruitment process to replace them is non existent

"rcm"

Current Employee - RCM
    Current Employee - RCM

Pros

The customers are very loyal since they are from First Federal and hard working employees from teller to manager.

Cons

no recognition and always being talked down to

Advice to Management

get rid of the bullies

"Relationship Associate"

Current Employee - Relationship Associate
    Current Employee - Relationship Associate

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training, the learning and development dept do an exceptional job of training its employees. Higher pay for the title however much higher workload for the pay.

Cons

No work life balance , unorganized institution , not getting paid on time , not getting paid for certain hours due to management and the companies inability to organize itself. The systems are outdated, the computers are extremely slow. We outsource all of our business referrals. Our HR dept consist of one individual per district sometimes it takes a week to talk to someone. I do not recommend this company at all. Coming from a much larger bank this was a culture shock and it just got worse and worse. The pay is above average for a personal banker but the work load is 5x's more then a top bank Wells Fargo , BOFA, chase etc. we have endless paperwork to complete on a daily basis . Horrible incentive plan

Advice to Management

Pay employees on time , expand the HR dept , update the systems , have less paperwork to do when opening a simple deposit account.

"Little Opportunity for Advancment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leander, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leander, TX

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Physical facilities were safe and provided nice on-site amenities.

Cons

Little room for career advancement.