OneWest Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

OneWest Bank Reviews

Updated February 27, 2017

Pros
  • Great work environment in my department (in 10 reviews)

• Decent pay, good benefits and a comfortable work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No technology and poor leadership and upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for growth once you are a VP as there aren't many opening at the next level (in 4 reviews)

1. "OneWest is a good company to learn the ins and outs of the retail banking industry."

Current Employee - Relationship Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company matches your 401(k) contributions 100% up to 4%. The company is relatively small which offers a lot of opportunity to get recognized.

Cons

The company places too much emphasis on sales campaigns as opposed to the deepening of client relationships. The latter is stated to be their primary motivation, but weekly prospect and sales goals tend to overwhelm and override this as a realistic endeavor.

Advice to Management

Less emphasis on campaigns and more on deepening meaningful relationships. Quarterly growth measures stellar short-term performance, but offering more products, especially on the mortgage and business side which are currently lacking, will ensure long-term durability for the bank, prolonged customer satisfaction, and a more diverse work environment for retail employees.

2. "Good company to gain experience"

Former Employee - Foreclosure Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at OneWest Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to gain default mortgage industry experience for those new to the industry.
    I found it quite easy, at the time, to progress in a career path at OWB.

Cons

Uncertain future throughout the sale process.

Advice to Management

Management has changed at this point, so I can't offer anything particularly useful.

3. "Escalation Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The people I worked with where driven to succeed. They were very helpful and we always looked out for each other. This made work enjoyable

Cons

Being laid off. Well I actually wasnt laid off but I was contract. My renew also were only one month at a time due to company wide lay offs.

Advice to Management

Learn how to interact with other departments. If you don't the company will continue to stay on the same path.

5. "Branch / Relationship Center Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President/Relationship Center Manager in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President/Relationship Center Manager in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at OneWest Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for entry into banking or banking management. The people are generally nice to work with. Better culture than the big banks.

Cons

Some of the systems, technologies and processes are antiquated. A constant challenge is staffing. The company constantly struggled to have the right branch staffing which would impact the client experience and the employee experience as meal break were difficult to manage with short staffing issues. Limited room for growth once you are a VP as there aren't many opening at the next level.

Advice to Management

Place a greater value on employee satisfaction. Empower the branches to hire the right staffing needs ad measure against a true P&L versus a scorecard that doesn't paint a clear picture of profitability.

"Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OWB gave me great opportunity to grow as an individual by allowing me to take on new projects. I was surrounded by a great team where we all helped each other.

Cons

Started off with a great culture but towards the end of the merger, the team fell apart and great people started leaving or were let go. Things may change perhaps after the merger.

Advice to Management

Its understandable that a business is there to make money but senior management could make the effort to spend more time to get to know individuals. You can also make your company grow if you send employees off to training.

"Ive worked here twice."

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Great pay. Really good set schedule, good vacation and sick time. Pretty nice facilities. The first time i worked here the enviornment was better especially the management. There was a layoff and i got rehired and ever since the company went smaller its horrible.

Cons

Managment always gives you conflicting information. Everyone is never on the same page. If you have an escalated issue management never wants to assit you. They dont give any coaching advice in where you can improve.

Advice to Management

Know the job of those under you. The reason why your in management is to assist us with necessary escalations or situations in general

8. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, a lot of things to learn.

Cons

Low salaries, a bit of micromanagement, employees seemed defensive within the company, maybe these are the nature of a bank.

"This company is great for someone that is willing to stay in their position till retirement."

Current Employee - Relationship Associate
    Current Employee - Relationship Associate

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good hours, good training, company cares a lot for customers and its primary focus is growing the relationship.

Cons

Pay is not that great, no advancement opportunities, always short staffed, and products aren't that great so sales can be a little hard to achieve.

Advice to Management

We need more tellers, need more staff in our branches, and also promote the employees that deserve the positions and not let it take 4 months to get approved. Thank you.

"Manager"

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time

Pros

Small Bank not your Big Bank lines, customers or headaches. Newer Leadership staff and the company is soon to be merged.

Cons

Company has the worst hiring process. It took me over 2 months thru a series of interviews. Talked to a Personal Banker it took her 3 months to get hired.

Advice to Management

Talking points thru a merger would be great. Having associates wing it thru a conversation isn't the best thing when trying to retain clients.

11. "Mostly Positive"

Pros

Benefits are good for the most part

Cons

Little advancement opportunity since layoffs