Online Business Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen

Pros
  • Professional development budget and time off (in 19 reviews)

• Good company that is eager to grow with strong emphasis on teamwork and work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes you can feel a bit disconnected from Online when you're on a client site for long engagements (in 6 reviews)

• Not necessarily a con but folks who work here must be adaptable (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Looking forward to many more great years at Online"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst, Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst, Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management are incredibly supportive and willing to discuss anything and everything. They don't just "talk the talk" they "walk the walk". The culture is fantastic. I have never worked with such high level practitioners that are extremely strong in their fields but also have fantastic personalities. I know I can trust and rely on my co-workers which isn't something I could not always have said in past work environments. We work hard and play hard which is exactly what drives me. I am given the opportunity to try new things and to grow my career. Professional development is a huge benefit that I have used to obtain many certifications, grow my network and to stay on top of best practices.

Cons

There are very few negative things I can say about Online. One of the areas that has been a bit of a challenge is ensuring I put enough away in RRSP. A matching program would be great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to grow the company while maintaining our culture. I know we will continue to attract and retain the best consultants.

Mar 8, 2017 – Director, People Care

Thanks for the amazing feedback. We like to think our culture is unique and what sets us apart from others, but it is gratifying when our team members validate those sentiments. We believe in hiring ... More

2. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture, invests in their people (training, career development), management listens and acts on your ideas and suggestions.

Cons

No significant cons to mention.

Advice to Management

Don't let your success be your downfall. Bigger is not always better. Reme,ber what made you successful.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, People Care

We appreciate the feedback. We know that to be a truly great company, you must listen to your team and continually evolve to retain great people. This is one facet of what contributes to a great ... More

3. "Great Company. Great Culture."

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Online are the best I have worked with. They are smart, lifelong learners, hard workers, team players and know how to have fun. I believe the leadership team at Online really cares about the people who work there. They promote development of their people and encourage new thinking and initiatives. They have created an environment where Onliners can thrive. Opportunities are there for those who want them.

Cons

I really can't think of anything. We are undergoing a period of growth and transformation. There are bound to be some growing pains, but the leadership team is very cognizant of this and is clearly working hard to ensure a bright future for Onliners.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the culture that has made you great. This is a differentiator.

Nov 10, 2016 – Director, People Care

Thanks for the feedback. We agree that we have some of the most amazing people. Although many say that, it becomes clear when you are assigned to an Online project team, that Onliners are of a ... More

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Loved working at Online Business Systems. Worked out of the Portland office. Everybody there was very personable and cared deeply about me as a person and my personal career development.

Cons

It is consulting, so you have to be flexible about where you are going to be working. If you're willing to be adaptable to opportunities presented, this is a great opportunity to learn about a lot of different industries.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and focus. My time at Online Business Systems was greatly influenced by the positive, caring leadership that was demonstrated.

Oct 23, 2015 – Director, People Care

Thanks for providing feedback. We appreciate it. We also feel that we have some of the best people and strongest teams. The people you work with are an integral component in one's happiness in a role ... More

6. "Business Team"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Mgmt. team here really cares about it's people and tries to do the right thing. They have to balance this with the client need's and an eye to being a profitable company, but I believe the balance between the 3 is strong. Hence the reference to the "3 legged stool" .
    Onliners are some of the best and brightest I have worked with. They are collaborative and have a strong work ethic. Egos are far and few between. They try and screen those out before someone gets in the door.
    With about 300 Onliners, it's big enough that there is infrastructure in place, and yet small enough that you feel like it's family and you can count on others to help you out.
    While there are peaks and valleys insofar as workload, most Onliners would say that the work/life balance is good.
    You can drive your own personal growth here. Not only is there a generous allocation of professional development $$ and days, but for those who have initiative and good ideas there are opportunities to assume more responsibility.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but folks who work here must be adaptable. Projects and project teams change so people who like to work on a variety of things with a variety of people will thrive here. Those who like to do the same thing every day with the same people will not.

Advice to Management

It appears there is more and more opportunity for growth . I am glad the management team is thinking about how we will scale up.

"Best organization I've ever worked for - balancing business success, customer service and employee growth."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OBS is an organization where you will quickly become very proud and very grateful for the company you work for. Proud of the way every single person cares so much about clients. Grateful for the team you get to rub shoulders with and the career (and personal) growth you'll experience.

Cons

In the City where I work, OBS is not a 'household name' (for the want of a better term). Hopefully as business continues to grow we will become as well-known as we are in other locations.

Advice to Management

The first 25 years delivered outstanding results. I can see that happening again as we close in on the end of the next 5-year period. Let’s keep it going!

May 6, 2015 – Director, People Care

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We strive to hire people who are a strong cultural fit and who work well with both our clients and our own team of Onliners. Our consultants are very ... More

"Great colleagues and good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Online Business Systems has a knack for attracting motivated and smart professionals that are a pleasure to work with - at each of our geographical locations. There is a strong culture of collaboration and work ethics, making sure we deliver high quality work for our clients. It is a small enough company for management to have a good connection with each of the consultants, while it is big enough to have a solid infrastructure in place for pay roll, helpdesk, HR, mentor program etc.
    There is a lot of room for personal growth. Consultants are encouraged to expand their knowledge and experience and each consultant has a personal development budget - time and money to spend on training and books.

Cons

The type of projects you will be involved with can vary largely - depending on when you become available and what projects are coming up. On one hand, this makes the work interesting as you will becoming familiar with different types of companies, likely in varying roles but its possible that for a while you might be working on a type of project that is not your first choice.

Jan 7, 2015 – Director, People Care

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We believe that our greatest strength is our people. Our interview process gives both the candidate and OBS enough face time so that by the time we ... More

"Great Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are very friendly, great to work with, and know their stuff!
    - Salary seems to be consistent with the local market, if not a bit higher
    - Flexibility to try new tracks and learn new skills
    - Flexibility in working hours and location
    - Leadership cares about the employees, their families, and career trajectories

Cons

- Working at client sites can make you feel a bit disconnected
    - Office locations generally downtown, so commute can wear on you (not much to do about that)
    - Small company that everyone loves (and few leave), so opportunities to move up in the leadership chain can be limited (a con for some, but only as a result of a positive company)

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work!
    - Ensure you're looking internally to develop staff into new leaders
    - Provide pathways not just to new levels of consulting, but also pathways to leadership positions/opportunities.

Jan 7, 2015 – Director, People Care

It’s great to hear about both the pros and the cons. It reinforces what we need to keep doing and what areas require our focus in the future. Insofar as the pros, we try to be flexible when we can ... More

10. "I still love working working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Online for a number of years and never thought I'd be here for more than 5 years when I started. It's the people, the culture and the ability to make a difference that have kept me here. I had worked for larger corporations previously which had a lot of hierarchy, red tape and bureaucracy. I thought all companies were like that until I got here. I love the fact that people really care about each other and try to help one another. I love the fact that the executive team cares about people and takes the time to connect with Onliners across all regions and practices. I love the fact that although we have processes in place, we still do the right thing when it makes sense. I could go on but you get the picture. Online was the perfect fit for me and has provided a gratifying career.. It has allowed me to grow and has supported me along the way.

Cons

If someone likes a lot of structure and doesn't like change, then this may not be the right environment for them. Onliners are typically able to think on their feet and make good decisions as opposed to following a "how to" rule book. Onliners are also looking for new ways to stretch themselves by being receptive to new client assignments and open to learning new technologies. Days are not always predictable and in my world that is a good thing. It never gets boring.

Advice to Management

Thanks for caring about the people who work here. Continue to look for ways that help us attract and keep good people. Great work!

Jan 7, 2015 – President

We’ve said it before, but our focus is really around building an environment where a great team of people can thrive and enjoy what they are doing. The words “great culture” are overused today, but ... More

11. "A long-term Onliner who has grown with the company"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a strong culture and philosophy around balancing the interests of Clients, Online and Onliners. The company has real history, and leadership includes founders and early employees, and leaders care and inspire loyalty. There is high employee satisfaction, very low turnover and many Online veterans have literally decades of service and experience. The organization is relatively flat and has the feeling of a smaller, more entrepreneurial company - the organization actively tries new things and learns from experience. There is a strong commitment to, and investment in, individual professional growth and career mentoring. There is a high bar and a high concentration of talent. I have personally enjoyed the variety afforded by the diversity of industries, clients, technologies, work and geographies - work has remained fresh and interesting for me without changing jobs, and travel has been an option I've taken advantage of for access to great work and opportunities in both the US and Canada. I have many long term friends and a network of trusted teammates across North America due to Online.There is always a mix of interesting individual, team and project work available. I have also appreciated many opportunities over the years to contribute to the company outside of pure consulting - providing career mentoring, supporting business development, and participation in practice, regional and company leadership and planning. This leaves me feeling less like an employee and more like a stakeholder in the company and its culture.

Cons

The company has expanded into a number of geographies, and some locations are still relatively small. While this can be exciting and helps develop a strong local culture and cohesive team, there isn't always the brand presence in smaller locations that Online enjoys in more mature locations. Employees in these smaller, younger regions also don't enjoy quite the same sense of enterprise as those in larger, older regions. I heard that a client in one region once referred to Online as "the best kept secret in town." It would be good to have stronger brand awareness everywhere.

Jan 7, 2015 – Director, People Care

First off let me thank you for being here for more than 10 years. That’s a long time by today’s standard and we appreciate your years of service. Reading your pros made me think about how lucky we ... More