Online Business Systems "client site" Reviews | Glassdoor

Online Business Systems Employee Reviews about "client site"

Updated Jun 19, 2019

4.8
Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Pros
  • "Excellent Professional Development program for professional growth(in 33 reviews)

• "As with many other long-tenured Onliners, I view my fellow(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being away from the main office is hard when you're isolated at a client site with no other Onliners or only a few(in 9 reviews)

• "Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "client site"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Intermediate Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are very friendly, great to work with, and know their stuff! - Salary seems to be consistent with the local market, if not a bit higher - Flexibility to try new tracks and learn new skills - Flexibility in working hours and location - Leadership cares about the employees, their families, and career trajectories

Cons

- Working at client sites can make you feel a bit disconnected - Office locations generally downtown, so commute can wear on you (not much to do about that) - Small company that everyone loves (and few leave), so opportunities to move up in the leadership chain can be limited (a con for some, but only as a result of a positive company)

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work! - Ensure you're looking internally to develop staff into new leaders - Provide pathways not just to new levels of consulting, but also pathways to leadership positions/opportunities.

Online Business Systems2014-10-27
  2. "Great company to work for, opportunities to grow career within"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A business owned and operated by people who care about their people and a strong desire to grow and succeed. Great professional development program for consulting and business team members, and as the company grows there is more opportunity to grow within. Vibrant environment in Winnipeg within the east Exchange. Growing team across North America with increasing ability to work from home part of the time, if clients... are ok with it. For those working outside of an office location, there are virtual team calls, and opportunities to stay connected. There are internal education programs to learn about the business, yoga during lunch and summer BBQs in Winnipeg, Staff Meetings are often at a local pub for those working together in the same location. Leadership has made effort in the last year to share strategy more, which is great! 13 consecutive years awarded as "Great Place to Work" in Canada, and it truly is!

Cons

At times, different parts of the company are still act somewhat independently. like across service areas and even in the head office. This can be good for quick decision-making, but can sometimes lead to miscommunications or finding out that more than one team is working on similar projects, or unaware of what the others are doing so it's hard to know who you can go to or lean on for things. Lots of emails for... communications. There is effort being put in to improve collaboration, which is positive to see. Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site. There is lots of paid parking lots nearby the Winnipeg office. It's an exciting time to be working here and everything about this company is better than I've seen anywhere else!!!

Advice to Management

Collaboration is a key word lately - for that we need good tools to communicate and excellent role models of collaboration from our leadership team. Keep each other informed about the important things (big and small) going on in your area of the business - if you are seen collaborating and working well together, employees will do the same. Starting growing the next layer of leadership for tomorrow, starting today... - keep including keen senior people who want to grow their careers as part of creating solutions and communicating messages. The right level of meetings, the right people at the meetings, the right way to share messages. We also need the right tools for audio and video conferencing, instant messaging, phone system that is flawless - an easy user experience for remote meetings with internal staff and clients. Our clients expect we will lead in this area.

Online Business Systems2019-06-19
  3. "The best consulting company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment focused on growth, people development and result-oriented

Cons

Sometimes you can feel a bit disconnected when you're on a client site for long engagements

Online Business Systems2017-12-22
  4. "Hidden Gem in the Industry"

Current Employee - User Experience Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

The people are the heart of the company. Everyone here is welcoming, helpful, passionate about their work, and absolutely amazing at what they do. OBS hires the best - and it shows. The atmosphere is collaborative and everyone watches out for each other. There is no backbiting or throwing anyone under the bus when it comes to progressing one's career. You help each other out and there's plenty of room to grow. Most... clients are centered in downtown, so being able to walk to the Exchange district for food or just to get some air is a big plus. Close to all the transit! There are so many opportunities to grow your career - you could start as a dev and work your way up to being a project manager if you wanted to. You get special guidance from career mentors, even. The policies are equitable and it feels safe to work here as someone who would be considered a minority in my field. OBS shows its dedication to diversity and equality.

Cons

Being away from the main office is hard when you're isolated at a client site with no other Onliners or only a few. You get to miss the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome. The hard work that you do really shows. Never stop growing, never stop innovating, and never stop taking risks on new practices and competencies.

Online Business Systems2016-12-16

"Let go while on short-term disability for depression and anxiety caused by my job"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

To compensate for job insecurity, their consultants make an above average salary.

Cons

I was hired as a .NET developer and on my first day I was instructed to rework my resume to hide the fact that I had no Java experience so that they could send me to my new placement at a Java shop. We had to make it look like I had more Java experience than I did so that the client would agree to take me on. While this was happening, they assured me that I wouldn't be there long, that they would find me a better... placement "soon". I had no support in this position. I was the only person working on a legacy project in a language I didn't know. Nobody at the office or at the client site knew the system I was working on, and there was no documentation available to help me figure it out. Due to the fact that I was the only developer on the project, I spent most of my days secluded and working alone. After 6 months I started asking for a new placement. I received many assurances that they were close to finding me a new position. After 9 months I started medication and therapy for depression and anxiety brought on by my situation at work. I brought up the fact that I was unhappy at work and wanted a new position. Again I was reassured that they are close to finding me a new placement. At 14 months, with no support from Online and no end in site to my "short term placement", my depression and anxiety reached a boiling point leading to an absolute breakdown at the client site. I began my short term disability a few days after that. After 6 weeks on disability, as I was preparing to go back to work, my employment was terminated with little to no explanation. This is despite the fact my disability was covered by the insurance company and was not costing Online any money whatsoever. My co-workers were simply told that I left the company. Assuming that I had moved on of my own accord, coworkers started to congratulate me on my new employment asking where I was working, and what the new opportunity was. Consultants at online are not notified that someone's employment has been terminated. Only that they have moved on. It keep the lucky consultants remaining more complacent I think. My experience at Online showed me that they care more about your billable hours than they care for you as an employee or person. They are willing to match you with work you are totally unqualified to do, as long as the client pays for it. They are also willing to actively deceive clients as to the level of expertise that their consultants have, all so that they can get another billable bum in a seat.

Online Business Systems2015-07-29

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Calgary, AB

I worked at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Online makes the extra effort to bring great people into their organization. This results in a flourishing working environment. The personal development program is excellent and well structured. They are a flexible employer with opportunities for all levels of employees to advance their careers.

Cons

I think the career mentor system works, however, the number of career mentors and qualification criteria for CM's needs to be re-evaluated. I had both ends of the spectrum in terms of CM's. Sometimes you can feel a bit disconnected from Online when you're on a client site for long engagements.

Advice to Management

For the most part, keep up the good work. Maintain a focus on maintaining Online's great culture. This is apparent in the Central Region, but needs to be improved in the Alberta Region.

Online Business Systems2014-09-25

"A place that cares"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking to be part of a team that cares, Online is your place. The attitude of balancing everyone's needs to be both productive and happy comes from the top down. The CEO truly wants his 'Onliners' to enjoy working here. There are tons of social activities, personal touches rather than automation wherever possible, and the Christmas parties are always a blast. Compensation is fair, and there is a real... focus on training. Everyone gets a professional development budget that is pretty much self directed.

Cons

The biggest challenge Online has is to keep remote working consultants connected to Online and the culture. As a small consulting firm, there are sometimes single consultants working at a client site for longer periods of time. Tough to feel part of the Online team in these cases.

Online Business Systems2014-09-15

"Great place to work. Supporting all 3 legs of the stool. Online, the client, the Onliner!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Feeling supported. Opportunity for growth with personal/ professional development. Having a career mentor. Opportunity to get involved in the various service offerings. Lunch and Learns.

Cons

Sometimes feeling disconnected from home office related to mostly working at client sites. This limits involvement in home office activities. Not enough vacation time.

Advice to Management

vacation improvements

Online Business Systems2014-08-12