Online Business Systems "onliners" Reviews | Glassdoor

Online Business Systems Employee Reviews about "onliners"

Updated Jun 27, 2019

4.8
Online Business Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Pros
  • "Excellent Professional Development program for professional growth(in 33 reviews)

• "As with many other long-tenured Onliners, I view my fellow(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being away from the main office is hard when you're isolated at a client site with no other Onliners or only a few(in 9 reviews)

• "Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "onliners"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Six great years and counting!"

Current Employee - Business Team

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People here are team players - I am very fortunate to work on a team that truly feels like family. We celebrate each others successes and we support each other whenever we run into challenges. Career Mentor (CM) Program - This program has been extremely valuable to my growth and development, both personally and professionally. I am grateful to not only have an amazing CM, but also for the informal mentorship that... I receive from other Onliners. We have so many intelligent and fascinating people who work here and you can learn a lot by starting up a conversation. Social Events - Its great to get to know your coworkers outside of work - I really enjoy attending our golf tournament, holiday party, team meetings and summer BBQ's. Challenging and Rewarding work - I get to focus on work that I find rewarding, which means a lot to me. I have a boss who encourages me to step out of my comfort zone and supports me along the way. Thank you Online for a great 6 years, looking forward to many more!

Cons

Last time I wrote a review, I was hoping we would introduce a retirement plan, and we now have one. Nothing else to mention!

Advice to Management

As we grow, lets ensure that our culture remains in tact. It is truly what sets us apart from other workplaces.

Online Business Systems2019-06-04
  2. "Professional Family"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with Online for almost 14 years. As with many other long-tenured Onliners, I view my fellow Onliners as my professional family - focused more on delivering quality and valuable deliverables and experience to our clients than climbing the corporate ladder. We have each others' backs; we treat our clients like we would treat guests in our home; we make "work" as much fun as it can be; we strive to be the... best at what we do and how we do it.

Cons

Our corporate culture is not for everyone

Online Business Systems2019-05-22
  3. "Great Company. Great Culture."

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people at Online are the best I have worked with. They are smart, lifelong learners, hard workers, team players and know how to have fun. I believe the leadership team at Online really cares about the people who work there. They promote development of their people and encourage new thinking and initiatives. They have created an environment where Onliners can thrive. Opportunities are there for those who want... them.

Cons

I really can't think of anything. We are undergoing a period of growth and transformation. There are bound to be some growing pains, but the leadership team is very cognizant of this and is clearly working hard to ensure a bright future for Onliners.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the culture that has made you great. This is a differentiator.

Online Business Systems2016-10-23
  4. "Business Team"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Mgmt. team here really cares about it's people and tries to do the right thing. They have to balance this with the client need's and an eye to being a profitable company, but I believe the balance between the 3 is strong. Hence the reference to the "3 legged stool" . Onliners are some of the best and brightest I have worked with. They are collaborative and have a strong work ethic. Egos are far and few between.... They try and screen those out before someone gets in the door. With about 300 Onliners, it's big enough that there is infrastructure in place, and yet small enough that you feel like it's family and you can count on others to help you out. While there are peaks and valleys insofar as workload, most Onliners would say that the work/life balance is good. You can drive your own personal growth here. Not only is there a generous allocation of professional development $$ and days, but for those who have initiative and good ideas there are opportunities to assume more responsibility.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but folks who work here must be adaptable. Projects and project teams change so people who like to work on a variety of things with a variety of people will thrive here. Those who like to do the same thing every day with the same people will not.

Advice to Management

It appears there is more and more opportunity for growth . I am glad the management team is thinking about how we will scale up.

Online Business Systems2015-10-23
  5. "I still love working working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked at Online for a number of years and never thought I'd be here for more than 5 years when I started. It's the people, the culture and the ability to make a difference that have kept me here. I had worked for larger corporations previously which had a lot of hierarchy, red tape and bureaucracy. I thought all companies were like that until I got here. I love the fact that people really care about each... other and try to help one another. I love the fact that the executive team cares about people and takes the time to connect with Onliners across all regions and practices. I love the fact that although we have processes in place, we still do the right thing when it makes sense. I could go on but you get the picture. Online was the perfect fit for me and has provided a gratifying career.. It has allowed me to grow and has supported me along the way.

Cons

If someone likes a lot of structure and doesn't like change, then this may not be the right environment for them. Onliners are typically able to think on their feet and make good decisions as opposed to following a "how to" rule book. Onliners are also looking for new ways to stretch themselves by being receptive to new client assignments and open to learning new technologies. Days are not always predictable and... in my world that is a good thing. It never gets boring.

Advice to Management

Thanks for caring about the people who work here. Continue to look for ways that help us attract and keep good people. Great work!

Online Business Systems2014-10-21
  6. "A long-term Onliner who has grown with the company"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a strong culture and philosophy around balancing the interests of Clients, Online and Onliners. The company has real history, and leadership includes founders and early employees, and leaders care and inspire loyalty. There is high employee satisfaction, very low turnover and many Online veterans have literally decades of service and experience. The organization is relatively flat and has the feeling of a... smaller, more entrepreneurial company - the organization actively tries new things and learns from experience. There is a strong commitment to, and investment in, individual professional growth and career mentoring. There is a high bar and a high concentration of talent. I have personally enjoyed the variety afforded by the diversity of industries, clients, technologies, work and geographies - work has remained fresh and interesting for me without changing jobs, and travel has been an option I've taken advantage of for access to great work and opportunities in both the US and Canada. I have many long term friends and a network of trusted teammates across North America due to Online.There is always a mix of interesting individual, team and project work available. I have also appreciated many opportunities over the years to contribute to the company outside of pure consulting - providing career mentoring, supporting business development, and participation in practice, regional and company leadership and planning. This leaves me feeling less like an employee and more like a stakeholder in the company and its culture.

Cons

The company has expanded into a number of geographies, and some locations are still relatively small. While this can be exciting and helps develop a strong local culture and cohesive team, there isn't always the brand presence in smaller locations that Online enjoys in more mature locations. Employees in these smaller, younger regions also don't enjoy quite the same sense of enterprise as those in larger, older... regions. I heard that a client in one region once referred to Online as "the best kept secret in town." It would be good to have stronger brand awareness everywhere.

Online Business Systems2014-10-03
  7. "Great people at Online!"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

What I love most about working at Online are the people or “Onliners” as we affectionately call ourselves! Onliners are the most passionate, intelligent and industrious group I’ve ever had the pleasure to work alongside. I believe many others must also feel that way, because we tend to have very long careers here, which helps foster our unique culture. In short, it is a pleasure to work at Online and be part of... an amazing team!

Cons

Would appreciate if Online made a contribution to the retirement plan.

Online Business Systems2014-09-10

"Outstanding people and management"

Senior Business Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Online Business Systems

Pros

Management is committed to creating a partnership with their clients and their staff consultants. Everyone is highly competent; it really brings out the best in your own abilities and attitude. A Career Mentor is assigned every employee and stays active with that employee to the employee's satisfaction. Great benefits and pay. I just can't say enough good things about being an "Onliner".

Cons

As a consulting firm, you will be working on a project for some other business. So while Online is wonderful, the client culture may zap your energy. Many of the projects are staffed with several Onliners or can be worked remotely from the Online office; so sometimes the culture encountered during work hours reflects Online's principles but not always.

Advice to Management

Continue the good, solid work of making the Portland office a leading center of excellence in the Northwest. I think there could be some consideration of sponsoring events, lectures, etc. to do more to get the Online Business Systems name better known.

Online Business Systems2011-05-16
  9. "22 years and counting!"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales & Client Relationships in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Online's culture is remarkable, and the people on the team are amazing. I believe that because the culture is so positive and strong, and Onliners appreciate their employer, we are all in a perfect spot to focus on our clients and helping them achieve great things.

Cons

No big cons to speak of. Maybe we should have more summer bbq's for the team??

Advice to Management

Keep sharing the vision and strategy so that Onliners can all pull together.

Online Business Systems2019-06-27
  10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people. Online is made up of very smart driven people. It makes coming to work motivating and rewarding. Leadership. Leadership is supportive and involves input from all Onliners. Culture. The culture at Online is very team oriented and always has Onliners are always doing the right thing for clients, for Online and for fellow Onliners. Always interesting. Online has various clients in various industries... and provides numerous services therefore it is always interesting work.

Cons

None that I can think of right now.

Online Business Systems2019-06-18