Online Business Systems "professional development" Reviews | Glassdoor

Online Business Systems Employee Reviews about "professional development"

Updated Jun 19, 2019

4.8
Online Business Systems CEO Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Charles (Chuck) Loewen
Pros
  • "Excellent Professional Development program for professional growth(in 32 reviews)

• "As with many other long-tenured Onliners, I view my fellow(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being away from the main office is hard when you're isolated at a client site with no other Onliners or only a few(in 9 reviews)

• "Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "professional development"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Business Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Mgmt. team here really cares about it's people and tries to do the right thing. They have to balance this with the client need's and an eye to being a profitable company, but I believe the balance between the 3 is strong. Hence the reference to the "3 legged stool" . Onliners are some of the best and brightest I have worked with. They are collaborative and have a strong work ethic. Egos are far and few between.... They try and screen those out before someone gets in the door. With about 300 Onliners, it's big enough that there is infrastructure in place, and yet small enough that you feel like it's family and you can count on others to help you out. While there are peaks and valleys insofar as workload, most Onliners would say that the work/life balance is good. You can drive your own personal growth here. Not only is there a generous allocation of professional development $$ and days, but for those who have initiative and good ideas there are opportunities to assume more responsibility.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but folks who work here must be adaptable. Projects and project teams change so people who like to work on a variety of things with a variety of people will thrive here. Those who like to do the same thing every day with the same people will not.

Advice to Management

It appears there is more and more opportunity for growth . I am glad the management team is thinking about how we will scale up.

Online Business Systems2015-10-23
  2. "Good company, Great people"

Former Contractor - ADF Consultant

I worked at Online Business Systems for more than a year

Pros

I worked with great people who have a passion for what they do and are always willing to share information. Also the work was engaging and exciting and I was always kept busy. Other positives: The professional development is good, Really nice people to work with, The culture within online is unique

Cons

Remote work is really a challenging thing to get right and sometimes you feel disconnected from the group. Also it is small organization.

Online Business Systems2014-10-06
  3. "I'm treated with dignity and respect by all members of the OBS team, and enjoy the truly professional environment."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Online provides an atmosphere of a large business family, and the professional development opportunities are second to none. Online not only encourages but insists on work/life balance (work hard/play hard), and aligns resources to support this philosophy. The people are sincerely nice, and I enjoy working with them all. Online is a great place to work!

Cons

As with all organizations, Online is challenged in providing affordable health care to its employees. Last year, however, the out of pocket maximum and co-pays increased substantially, and I'm concerned about the cost increases that might be around the corner. Also, I'd like to see 401k matching please.

Advice to Management

Having met and socialized with the executive management team, I must say that they are all bright, engaging, and excellent business leaders.

Online Business Systems2014-09-23
  4. "Great company to work for, opportunities to grow career within"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A business owned and operated by people who care about their people and a strong desire to grow and succeed. Great professional development program for consulting and business team members, and as the company grows there is more opportunity to grow within. Vibrant environment in Winnipeg within the east Exchange. Growing team across North America with increasing ability to work from home part of the time, if clients... are ok with it. For those working outside of an office location, there are virtual team calls, and opportunities to stay connected. There are internal education programs to learn about the business, yoga during lunch and summer BBQs in Winnipeg, Staff Meetings are often at a local pub for those working together in the same location. Leadership has made effort in the last year to share strategy more, which is great! 13 consecutive years awarded as "Great Place to Work" in Canada, and it truly is!

Cons

At times, different parts of the company are still act somewhat independently. like across service areas and even in the head office. This can be good for quick decision-making, but can sometimes lead to miscommunications or finding out that more than one team is working on similar projects, or unaware of what the others are doing so it's hard to know who you can go to or lean on for things. Lots of emails for... communications. There is effort being put in to improve collaboration, which is positive to see. Parking can get expensive, but only 3 blocks from major bus routes and many consultants work at the client site. There is lots of paid parking lots nearby the Winnipeg office. It's an exciting time to be working here and everything about this company is better than I've seen anywhere else!!!

Advice to Management

Collaboration is a key word lately - for that we need good tools to communicate and excellent role models of collaboration from our leadership team. Keep each other informed about the important things (big and small) going on in your area of the business - if you are seen collaborating and working well together, employees will do the same. Starting growing the next layer of leadership for tomorrow, starting today... - keep including keen senior people who want to grow their careers as part of creating solutions and communicating messages. The right level of meetings, the right people at the meetings, the right way to share messages. We also need the right tools for audio and video conferencing, instant messaging, phone system that is flawless - an easy user experience for remote meetings with internal staff and clients. Our clients expect we will lead in this area.

Online Business Systems2019-06-19
  5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support for professional development; strong emphasis on adhering to company's values and culture; many of opportunities to build local network; friendly senior management staff.

Cons

Limited opportunities to work in cutting-edge technology projects due to the market this company services. Mostly staff augmentation roles servicing local clients, although there may be few exceptions.

Online Business Systems2019-02-24
  6. "Onliners have Leadership, Intelligence, Experience, and Drive"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Online places a high value on personal and professional leadership skills, heavily influenced by Dale Carnegie leadership principles. I'm amazed to always work with smart colleagues on smart challenges. Online's leadership lives their core values. Excellent Professional Development program for professional growth. Great benefits (health, RRSP program) Great experience opportunities. (I've been engaged... in 13 projects across 6 clients in almost 8 years.) I'm honored to count myself an Onliner.

Cons

If you're an Onliner you're a consultant. Time tracking is important. You are expected to onboard quickly in client environments. You are expected to learn leadership skills. You often have less creative control and project ownership in client-run projects. You may need to navigate complex accountability and governance structures of mid-to-large enterprise. These can be struggles for those seeking purely technical... growth.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the 2018 initiative to reduce complexity of internal processes. I am glad to see it's still on our list for 2019 goals.

Online Business Systems2019-01-25
  7. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent company. Benefits and Professional Development budget are very good.

Cons

As any consultant company, sometimes we saty on bench.

Online Business Systems2018-12-10
  8. "Onliner"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great Career Mentor Program -$3000 Annual Professional Development Budget ($1500 for non-consultants) -Great Culture and amazing Morale -Lots of fun events throughout the year (BBQ's, Golf, Holiday Parties,)

Cons

Nothing that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with the business. You are going in the right direction!

Online Business Systems2018-11-26
  9. "Online is a great place to work with keen and motivated people."

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

"Onliners" are great to work with and are willing to help out and put energy into their work. There is lots of opportunity for growth and professional development within the company. Good core values of Online that align with Onliners. The opportunity for a flexible/remote schedule if applicable. Good work life balance.

Cons

Expensive/limited parking but option to pay for part of bus pass.

Online Business Systems2018-11-21
  10. "Happy I joined this amazing company!"

I have been working at Online Business Systems full-time

Pros

Transparent, forward -thinking leadership. wonderful community feeling (BBQs, Golf, Events), great people all around, love the professional development budget and support, RSP program. So thankful I joined this company!

Cons

Nothing after 2 years.

Advice to Management

Continue to build great teams that embody Online's core values. Continue to support people learning and growing.

Online Business Systems2018-06-04