Online Vacation Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Ed Rudner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Company that cares about employees!"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at OVC. Most people are helpful and nice. Love the monthly meetings and feedback sessions where the manager actually asks about feedback and is making sure that the employee has all the tools needed to succeed. Weekly meetings with other departments are very useful as well. Also the daily meetings for quick updates and questions are valued. I really like the transparency within the department. HR is very professional!

Cons

Hourly salary could be higher. Tier structure in sales should depend on experience and performance as well and not just strictly on bookings. Health insurance offered is not too good.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Keep valuing your employees.

2. "Great place for those fresh out of college!"

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time

Pros

The interview process was very friendly; HR is understanding of situations like being out of town and other concerns you may have about applying. I've been at OVC for about a month now and have been more than welcomed so far. Everyone is warm and honest about what it's like to work here. They provide on-the-job training with the supervisors, who are amicable and ready to help you at any time. Feel free to ask any questions. What I found most helpful was shadowing current employees - that really gives you an idea of what happens on a day-to-day basis. Also, they host fun company events like bowling nights and picnics so that the company culture is relaxed and open.

Cons

You have to be very good at multitasking and organization because of what the job entails. However, if you need help, feel free to ask a supervisor for tips. Your earnings have to be self-motivated and you have to be competitive or else you won't make as much as those around you.

Advice to Management

Keep being welcoming and available to personal vacation managers. Thanks for meeting with us everyday and keeping us up to date.

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time

Pros

I have been working for Online Vacation Center for almost a year, and I have to say it's been a great experience so far. Everybody here is very friendly and intelligent, management and the vice president are always readily available to talk to you, they are very encouraging and always ready to lend you a hand.
    The work atmosphere is very relaxed, as long as you get your work done in time, you are free to manage your time how ever you see fit.

Cons

The only cons I can think of is that there are not many benefits included with the salary.

4. "Job Review"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, fun environment to work in

Cons

prepare to work nights, weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

faster communication between departments

5. "Personal Vacation Manager"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The staff is very warm and friendly! Great travel perks, flexible hours, sincerely care about their employees.

Cons

Very fast paced, which is not really a con, but you do need to like this kind of work.

6. "Good opportunity for someone with no experience in the travel industry"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

huge travel benefits, flexible schedules, encouragment to travel and good pay structure

Cons

micromanagement, changes in pay structure, corporate policies that don't align to sales goals. Expensive and shallow medical benefits

Advice to Management

listen to people who know sales when looking for ways to sell more. start a 401k match. stop adjusting the pay structure and constant changes to job duties.

7. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had plenty of sales experience, but none in travel. There's a lot to learn but training is very thorough, and the supervisors and co-workers are always there to help. Great travel opportunities! I've had experience with a lot of management styles and impossible quotas to meet. I don't feel that kind of pressure here. The sales manager is realistic and approachable. Excellent communication, which is very important in any work environment, but especially in sales.

Cons

It can seem a little overwhelming at times when you have a lot on your plate and more clients are calling you. You have to have good time management skills and be great at prioritizing.

8. "This Company is Passionate About Travel"

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Online Vacation Center is a solid organization that offers very competitive wages and excellent benefits to include travel. I have visited so many places in the world, at a discounted rate, that I never would have had an opportunity to visit had I not been in this industry. I can't imagine working in any other. In addition to above average wages and benefits, the company is small enough (under 80 employees) to recognize talent and offer upward mobility to those who are exemplary in their performance. The company is willing to train in certain entry level positions, like Personal Vacation Managers and Accounting Analysts, so this would be a great company for a recent graduate to start their career. Additional perks: lots of company and supplier sponsored breakfasts and lunches throughout the year, annual company picnic with grand prizes to include amazing cruises, bowling and hockey nights for the staff, gift cards and bonuses for outstanding performance and an amazing new building location near downtown Ft. Lauderdale where we occupy 17,000 square feet of the top floor with panoramic views all the way to Miami!

Cons

The company is fast paced and driven. It is strategic, entrepreneurial and moves in a lot of different directions depending on business needs and operations. This is how it is so successful - with the ability to adapt to the ever changing needs of the industry. In order to succeed, you need to be able to work in this type of environment.

9. "A great career"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and phenomenal travel opportunities Caribbean, Europe and Asia ocean and river cruises
    Great people to work with and excellent training
    A very caring almost family like environment from the top on down
    Work days go by very quickly

Cons

There is always a lot of work to do and the company expects a very high standard of work product

Advice to Management

Consider more training and keep up the good work

10. "Great Career Change"

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Online Vacation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cruising has never been on my list of things to do. Even though I am from Florida, I have only been on 1 cruise and the only cruise lines that I was familiar with were Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I had no idea that so many existed. My whole life I played basketball and then starting coaching at a university once my playing days were done. I was in an unfortunate situation where all the coaches at my school were fired. I tried and tried to find another job in my field, but nothing was available. I saw an ad online for a travel agency and I said this sounds like something I could be good at. So, I applied not knowing if anything would come out of it. I got a call for a phone interview, then I took an exam and had an in office interview. Then, I was offered the job and I accepted it! I have been working here since July and I don’t have anything bad that I can say about the company. Everyone is very nice and helpful and they always make me feel like I am part of the team even though I am new. I have learned a lot and I have been able to help hard working people take their dream vacations all around the world. I really didn’t know what to expect, but so far it has really been rewarding.

Cons

Please do not consider this company if you are not good with time management or do not have a great customer service skills.