KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Onset Financial

Engaged Employer

Onset Financial

Add a Review

Onset Financial Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated Feb 11, 2021

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Highly ethical, and great training on all the products and services they offer.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Amazing leadership and co workers.(in 15 reviews)
  • "They take care of their employees and have a great culture.(in 13 reviews)
  • "Happy employees equal hard work and success.(in 9 reviews)
  • "The people here are amazing and capable.(in 8 reviews)
Cons
  • "The youngest manager is doing the best with his team on the Mazuma Capital side because he uses the OLD and the NEW.(in 3 reviews)
  • "You get paid on commissions after the company has made money on your deal.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing Culture

Jan 19, 2022 - Loan Documentation Specialist III
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a really exciting time to be working at Onset. The energy, the growth, the people, the excitement of being part of such an amazing team if something you will not see anywhere else. The leadership is untouchable. Justin Nielsen is passionate about his company and his employees. The benefits and working environment are amazing! We have exercise equipment, an onsite personal trainer, game room, Friday pizza or BBQ, free cereal, free swag, annual summer party, annual winter GALA and a beautiful building to work in. Our team works so well together, we are like family here. There is so much growth opportunities and you get to learn from the best in the industry! I love the employee recognition program. I could go on and on. So proud to be part of Onset and continue to brag every chance I get.

Cons

I don't believe there any cons. It is fast-paced sales driven company with deadlines to hit, goals to hit, and we work long and hard to achieve these. It's definitely not an easy job, but we work hard and work smart and the rewards and benefits are so worthely not an easy job, but we work hard and work smart and the rewards and benefits are so worthely not an easy job, but we work hard and work smart and the rewards and benefits are so worth it.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Learn to go BEAST MODE!!!

Jan 10, 2018 - National Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Professional and comfortable atmosphere, can where business casual or casual with Onset swag. -Plenty of swag to go around, my whole casual wardrobe is short and long sleeve Onset Financial shirts. - The management really takes into consideration your success and will do everything they can to help you understand how to do your job on the sales floor. - The opportunity to make more than a doctor is more than possible here, you gotta expect to know you have to put in the work to get it. - The company wants to see you grow, providing a couple books to read to help you succeed in the long term sales process. - Salary based (and good salary too), no need for silly punching in and out. - Decent CRM program that is simple and easy to use to do your work, though could use a little tweaks here and there. - Incentives for performing and bringing in deals on a weekly and monthly basis and the prizes are pretty stinking sweet! Gaming bundle, Jazz tickets, Ping gold driver, I phone X, Under water drone, Blendtec, Travel packages...just to name a few. - Amazing charity that they get employees to participate in. Recently had a fancy gala with Brian Reagan as part of a charity event. - Other incentives and events to encourage and boost enthusiasm because you need it on every call talking with every C-class client you talk to. - FREE friggin' cereal any time you want it. - Free pizza on Fridays

Cons

- It is a GRIIIIIND, but what sales job isn't? Sales people who are successful embrace the so called 'grind' and turn it into the fuel that can get you financial stability. (Was this meant to be a con?) - Beginning and end of year the company hopes you put in a little more time to get deals. Welcome it, especially if you are new but expect to have a little less work/life balance during those times. Summer does make up for it as its the slower time of year.

VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you so much for the review! We appreciate your great attitude and your feedback.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Culture, Culture, Culture!

Jul 30, 2021 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

It doesn't get better than Onset Financial and the company culture. -There is so much growth happening right now. It's a really exciting time to be working here! The energy and excitement is something I haven't seen anywhere else -They provide regular communication to their employees about company goals -You get to work with top leaders in this industry -The best coworkers that really feel like a family -Plenty of opportunities to learn from others -An awesome employee recognition program! -Incredible campus and work environment

Cons

Unfortunately Onset does not provide remote work opportunities remote work opportunities remote work opportunities. They do prefer their employees work onsite at their Draper or St. George office. However, they do allow employees to work from home when sick or if something comes up!

4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Consider before joining!

Sep 15, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pizza on Friday’s and cereal bar

Cons

Vary bad work environment! Management is a joke they are not looking to train new guys at all! Most of my training class quit two days into the job because of the Hostile environment. The CEO doesn’t even know how’s his company is run when he is not present! They ask everyone to make positive comments on glass door and indeed but there all fake!

VP of Marketing and Public Relations

It looks like you did not have a great experience working at Onset Financial and that is unfortunate. We are a fast-growing company that is proud of the progress we have made over the last ten years and fully credit that to great leadership and an incredible staff. We hope you find a career path that suits you and we wish you the best.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Account executive- Pretty awful experience

Feb 16, 2018 - Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free pizza Friday’s, some cool coworkers, free t-shirts. Basic sales training. Twice a year training in park city. A clean office environment.

Cons

Please consider your decision carefully before joining this company. They make it sound like it’s the best job in the world and there are no cons ( fake glass door reviews?) every company has some cons and below are the biggest ones you should be aware of. The job itself is difficult. 100 plus cold calls a day to CFOs who have no idea who you are and get 20 calls a day from other leasing companies. Sales process is chaotic. Everyone is calling every company in CRM and it’s not updated. CRM has a lot of issues. Office is very male dominated/ male oriented (in sales). Hardly any women work there and the culture is not friendly to women. Management/ coaching style is to sit behind people while on the phone and talk over them while they are on the call. No room for other ideas regarding sales process/ different coaching styles. Hours are not flexible and during busy seasons you work 7 am- 6 pm and have to make double the calls. Culture felt like a frat house with managers and employees belittling each other “in a joking way” and managers talking about how they were better than other people because of how much money they made. Was not treated like a valued employee, you are just a number and they have no problem firing you for absolutely no reason. Bottom line- felt like a pretty toxic environment, and although there is an option to make a lot of money, it’s not worth the everyday agony in my opinion.

VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you for the review. We take all reviews very seriously. A few things. It IS a hard job. What you'll find is jobs with incredible rewards are rarely easy. There is no room for random sales philosophies because our model is proven to work. As a woman that works here I can tell you that women are valued here and treated with amazing respect and equality. Half of our top-level executives are women. We believe our atmosphere has to be fun at times to even-out the grind. It sounds like sales is not a job that is the right fit for you. That being said, we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible Two-Face Company

Jan 30, 2021 - Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Okay money for entry-level position

Cons

- Managers and the executives show a lot of favoritism - Very minimal training - You’re better off not asking for help and staying low. If you do ask for help you’re putting a target on your back - Leadership constantly brags and talk about themselves. Lots of prideful testosterone - They try to hide their true nature behind perks - They will take advantage of you and make you work 12 hour shifts just cause you’re on salary. - Honestly the worst culture in a company that I have ever seen

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Know what you're getting into

Jan 2, 2019 - Senior National Account Manager in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lot's of free swag, great work culture, good semi-annual training

Cons

High work output with little to no reward, everyone is calling the same leads, focus is more on quantity of dials versus quality. Job is on the line even if you are producing. Extremely high turnover

VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you so much for your honest review. We definitely pride ourselves on great corporate culture, the coolest swag and incredible semi-annual training. We are sorry you left with a bad taste in your mouth. We know it is such a tough job and that's why the rewards are so high for those who are successful. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Company for Driven Sales People

May 10, 2017 - Account Executive in South Jordan, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work for Mazuma Capital, a subsidiary of Onset Financial. We share the same office, resources, executive management, training materials, and benefits/comp package. I have worked for the company for just over 2 years. I have written several deals and personally funded over $50MM. As a result, I have a unique understanding of the internal workings of credit, operations, documentation, accounting, executive management, and sales. I have spent countless hours working with each of these departments. Let me share my experience: • Sales: In 2016, I funded a $36MM transaction. This customer had gone to every conceivable outlet for financing and had not been able to obtain the capital they needed. I was fortunate enough to work with a VP and EVP who are the best in class. Not only were we able to win the deal on the proposal, but our VP and EVP of sales were able to navigate a lengthy and difficult underwriting process while creating minimal stress and pressure for the customer. I have been in professional phone sales for over 7 years and I can confidently say that this sales team is the best in the industry and one of the best professional sales management in the country. If you have a REAL DEAL, they will do everything in their power to get the deal done. They give you the tools, resources, and training to be successful and make an income that is most efficiently communicated by its relation to a million. • Documentation: If you want to work in equipment finance in Utah, I invite you to go interview with VFI, Tetra, Bank of the Internet (or whatever their name is in 6 months), CG, or any bank with a leasing arm. When you are in the interview, ask them how many people they have in documentation. Ask them how many years of experience their management team for documentation has. Ask to actually see their offices. If you don't think a good docs team is one of the most (if the not THE most) important factors to your success in getting transactions done and earning commissions, you are crazy. Onset Financial has the single best documentation team in the industry. Onset's documentation team has more people, more experience, and more expertise. • Credit: I see a few comments on here that Onset/Mazuma couldn't get their deals done and you might think that falls on credit. "I brought in deals, but they couldn't get them done." A lot of finger pointing, like losers do. Let me give you a concept of what credit has gotten bank approved for me in the last 2 years: HVAC, drywall, wallpaper, software, specialized equipment, phones, doors, parts that go inside equipment owned by another party, parking lots, and I'm sure plenty of other equipment that has almost no value outside the use by those specific customers. The oddest part is that half of these companies were facing serious financial headwinds. What were these phantom "deals" that people brought in that credit couldn't get done? Can I call another department best in the industry without sounding trite? • Accounting: I always get paid what I am owed. I have never had a commission withheld or given to someone else. I have confidence that my customers are working with precise professionals in regards to billing, payments, and invoicing. I don't have any cool stories, but that illustrates my point. • Executive Management: The ridiculous performance of the individual departments is a testament to their expert vision and execution. Justin is a driven force in the leasing industry. He demands the best of those working for him because he holds them to the standard by which he holds himself. • Benefits: Great health benefits. My mother has been an independent insurance agent for 20 years and is especially complimentary of our benefits package. Great 401k package. All of these start after you are employed for a brief period. We get 2 weeks paid vacation and I don't know the exact amount of sick time - and last year we got an extra, unplanned, 2 weeks of paid vacation in the summer. We have professional sales trainings twice a year in Park City - just watch the video of it. • Compensation: We make great commission on the margin we generate. In 2016 (my second year here) I made 6x my salary in commissions (but it's easier to say over a quarter of a million). And I made a comfortable six figures in the 9 months I worked here in 2015. All of this working 8-5. Ask my wife how our all-expense-paid trip to Maui was. Ask me how the two tents, $2k Weber grill, multiple pairs of Oakleys, firepit, Apple gear, Ruth's Chris dinner, or any of the other incentives I have claimed are. My wife and I were able to pay cash for our entire in vitro fertilization (and we have the cutest baby boy from it) because of the commissions I have earned here. It is amazing to work at a company that so heavily invests in your success both professionally and personally. All they ask is that you go out and win business so this machine can keep plowing full steam ahead.

Cons

• Pressure to Perform: If you are in sales is this really a con? I hear it a lot from low performers so I guess you could argue it's a con. • Hard Work: This job and the benefits it brings are incredibly rewarding. However, it is incredibly difficult. You learn to grow a thick skin through days of cold calling catty gatekeepers, challenging CFOs, and dealing with constant rejection. This job is hard. You will earn every last penny of your incredible commissions through the process. It doesn't get easier. You don't earn the right to twiddle your thumbs at work. You don't get to sit back and watch your garden grow. You need to work at it every day. It is exhausting. But all of those challenges make it rewarding beyond any sales job I have encountered. • Competition: If you come work here in sales you will have to compete against me. You will know exactly who I am from the moment you start working here. And I do not lose. • Someone complained on here that we have free pizza every Friday. I guess you could add these intangibles to that list: Justin is really big and physically intimidating (6'4' 220 lbs). The men in executive management all seem to prefer the chrome dome - so you may have to sacrifice your stylish hair if you aspire to executive management. You get paid on commissions after the company has made money on your deal. There may be a random week in the summer when you are not allowed to come in the office and are still paid and it will not be deducted from your vacation time. The office is 72 degrees except for about a half hour in the morning where it is a couple degrees warmer. Our computers that have two monitors for each sales rep are a little old. There is a 173 page training manual that you are expected to use to improve your leasing and sales proficiency. When we have all hands meetings, you need to drop everything to be there and usually get donuts afterwords. We have free cereal stations on both sides of the office - but sometimes they have 'no sugar' cereal right next to the actually good cereal. Real talk - the bathrooms do not support the amount of male employees in this building. You may get tired of ESPN/NFL Network on the TVs all day long.

10 people found this review helpful

VP of Marketing and Public Relations

Thank you so much for the review. Very well said and we are so happy to have you here at Onset Financial/Mazuma Capital!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews