Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan Reviews | Glassdoor

Vic Medland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time

Pros

Benefits, location, pension, fitness at work

Cons

Lack of internal hiring and promotion. Frozen wages.

Advice to Management

Ask for employee input more often and hire internally. Allow flexible hours to allow for work/life balance.

2. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life/work balance. Opportunity. Growth. Supportive Leadership. Benefits.

Cons

Typical challenges associated with fast paced growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Corrupt management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great
    Entry level pay is competitive
    Provides resources to become licensed and properly certified

Cons

Training does not prepare you for work
    Management critical and unsupportive - based on numbers on audits and not on qualify of work/service
    Management not qualified - no insurance experience/ lacks understanding of knowledge and protocol

Advice to Management

OTIP is always hiring for a reason. This company used to be quite reputable - the culture was warm and supportive. Due to the recent change in management and structure, many long term employees have left and decided to look elsewhere due to unqualified management and their inability to be supportive and understanding of our every day work. There are many brokerages out there who are just as capable of providing the same culture and environment but with better and more effective management. Would not recommend - no longer has the reputation it once did.

"Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

OTIP truly cares about and appreciates their employees. Management always has an open door if you need to review or discuss something and performance feedback is given frequently.

Cons

Waterloo location is close to LRT construction.

Advice to Management

Continue being open and honest about company goals and what the future looks like! I appreciate that Management puts our members first and communicates in a variety of ways to employees.

5. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

OTIP is a great place to work. They offer excellent benefits that start on day one (even for 12 month contracts), great work life balance, and there is even a healthy living program that offers work out classes (yoga included) on lunch as well as stretch breaks during the day.
    Overall, the people are awesome and the company really does care about their employees- just recently they set up an M&M candy bar in the cafeteria to show staff appreciation. I have nothing but great things to say about my experience at OTIP.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Benefit Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Benefit Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

OTIP is a great place to work. There are many opportunities to move and grow within the company. Always positive, great managers, incentives are amazing, the list goes on!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the parking. Although there is always somewhere to park, if I'm working the late shift, I usually have to walk clear across the parking lot to get to a door.

"Great People, Employees are highly valued"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great working environment and culture. Excellent benefits plan upon hire.

Cons

Can be a complex business to understand

"Great Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Friendly and fun culture
    Very active social committee and perks
    Great benefits, pension matching plan
    Room for growth

Cons

A little challenging to navigate in the area due to construction and LRT, but at no fault of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the family oriented environment, it makes OTIP a unique place to work.

"Poor Management, no respect for employees"

I worked at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits but you have to pay for LTD which is around $40 per paycheque.

Cons

Not good for young people who looking for good, friendly, career oriented work environment. Most of the people who work there are aged 50+ who feel insecure when someone new joins there, they don't want to change at all which makes you feel uncomfortable. The work expectation is too high looking at the salary they offer. The manager I worked under gave me real hard time, felt like I am in school, very stressful environment. Not sure how he is still there without people management skills at all.

Advice to Management

Please be respectful to your employees and listen to what they are saying and take them seriously. Don't just write policies, try to follow them as well.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OTIP is a great place to work because employees are empowered to provide the best service ever to our members. When I'm on the road talking to members, they often comment on how passionate I am about OTIP. I find it easy to be passionate about my work because I know OTIP offers the best products and services to the education community. And we really do care about our members; we don't just say that. We are encouraged to prove it in everything we do. If you're looking to work for a company who cares - not only about its members, but about each employee - then you'll be happy at OTIP!

Cons

It's taken me some time to think about what I would write here. I've been at OTIP for 23 years and so clearly, the cons are few. The only thing I can think of to mention is that, because of our unprecedented growth in recent months, we now have multiple locations. Though that's not a negative thing on its own, I'll miss having everyone under one roof. The good thing is that our CEO and our leadership teams share their vision of growth for the future of OTIP with each and every employee. That helps us feel confident about the company's success and that's very important to me.