Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vic Medland

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Benefit Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Benefit Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OTIP is a great place to work. There are many opportunities to move and grow within the company. Always positive, great managers, incentives are amazing, the list goes on!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the parking. Although there is always somewhere to park, if I'm working the late shift, I usually have to walk clear across the parking lot to get to a door.

2. "Great People, Employees are highly valued"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great working environment and culture. Excellent benefits plan upon hire.

Cons

Can be a complex business to understand

"Great Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and fun culture
    Very active social committee and perks
    Great benefits, pension matching plan
    Room for growth

Cons

A little challenging to navigate in the area due to construction and LRT, but at no fault of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the family oriented environment, it makes OTIP a unique place to work.

"Poor Management, no respect for employees"

I worked at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits but you have to pay for LTD which is around $40 per paycheque.

Cons

Not good for young people who looking for good, friendly, career oriented work environment. Most of the people who work there are aged 50+ who feel insecure when someone new joins there, they don't want to change at all which makes you feel uncomfortable. The work expectation is too high looking at the salary they offer. The manager I worked under gave me real hard time, felt like I am in school, very stressful environment. Not sure how he is still there without people management skills at all.

Advice to Management

Please be respectful to your employees and listen to what they are saying and take them seriously. Don't just write policies, try to follow them as well.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OTIP is a great place to work because employees are empowered to provide the best service ever to our members. When I'm on the road talking to members, they often comment on how passionate I am about OTIP. I find it easy to be passionate about my work because I know OTIP offers the best products and services to the education community. And we really do care about our members; we don't just say that. We are encouraged to prove it in everything we do. If you're looking to work for a company who cares - not only about its members, but about each employee - then you'll be happy at OTIP!

Cons

It's taken me some time to think about what I would write here. I've been at OTIP for 23 years and so clearly, the cons are few. The only thing I can think of to mention is that, because of our unprecedented growth in recent months, we now have multiple locations. Though that's not a negative thing on its own, I'll miss having everyone under one roof. The good thing is that our CEO and our leadership teams share their vision of growth for the future of OTIP with each and every employee. That helps us feel confident about the company's success and that's very important to me.

"A Community not just a Company"

Current Employee - Senior Premium Administration Specialist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Total Compensation package is amazing. Benefits and pension provided are very competitive in the market. A healthy place to work as the ambience is more of a community rather than a large company. Promotes healthy living (lifestyle) - smoke cessation program, GoodLife affiliation, various employee assistance program (physical, mental, financial, etc...)

Cons

Constructions at the entrance (Govt. Railway project) has affected the accessibility of the office. Office heating needs to be better (Sometimes too cold sometimes too hot). Not very conducive for work.

Advice to Management

I am aware of the initiatives that have recently been introduced to foster a better relationship between management and employees (e.g. ask Vic) but during this time (could be the biggest change in the business by far), I believe we need to step up with our effort in reaching out to the employees to prevent any "confusion" from being influenced and become a "frustration". My best recommendation would be to think of an initiative that promotes sharing of responsibility. Not very popular nowadays but reality is those who are less involved and less responsible, are quicker to point out what's wrong more than what is working and what needs to be better.

"Not a good work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, ok salary

Cons

Horrible place to work.. People blame each other, toxic work environment

Advice to Management

Hire more workforce do people can do their jobs without blaming each other

"good pay shouldn't mean poor employee relations"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

-decent pay
    -good benefits
    -good rrsp and pension matching

Cons

-poor employee treatment from management
    -serious feedback falls on deaf ears
    -extreme micro management via computer based tracking
    -unrealistic service expectations given volume, tools and time constraints
    -too reliant on computers to manage than actual human management which leads to blanket based assumptions and blanket treatment of good workers and complacent ones
    -high rate of stress leaves and staff burnouts

Advice to Management

-consider a mixture of computer management systems with actual human management and supervision so that numbers don't deceive you
    -managers need to be reminded of the importance of personal observation so that they can see with their own eyes the hard work that people put into this job
    -managers: address the complacent employees directly instead of long, condescending blanket style emails that only serve to offend those working their tails off
    -allow your staff a reasonable amount of time to do their admin duties if you are going to expect CSRs to share in these tasks with the admin team

Paying your staff well doesn't entitle you to treat people like machines. Hire more staff to manage call volumes because the pace is draining the life out of the current staff.

"Used to be great, has declined to horrible quickly."

Pros

Pension, benefits, great co-workers. The healthy living program has yoga and other exercise classes on site. Free parking close to the building.

Cons

Top management heavy politics. OTIP 'let go' over 50 staff last year, (on the down low) many long term dedicated employees. OTIP then turned around to re-hire same the jobs with new titles and lower pay grades, making it look like the company is growing so well. No one is safe, there is a constant fear of being next, staff are anxious and miserable. Management very secretive and lie. The cafeteria food sucks. The company's reputation is suffering. They are totally understaffed, trying to produce more with less! Goodluck with that. You'll just be paying your staff on sick leave (if you don't fire them first)!
    Also, for living in the technology hub of Waterloo, sadly, we have the worst archaic systems.

Advice to Management

The old boys club is obvious and repulsive. Take off your fancy suit and stop bragging about your nice paid for car, vacation homes and get back to caring about regular employees. We aren't robots.

"The 3+ year long slide continues, and it's picking up momentum!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leave-at-work job, reasonable salary, excellent benefits, fabulous co-workers. The wellness program and work hours are excellent. A good company for employees with little enthusiasm, initiative or ambition.

Cons

Some departments are under staffed, senior management prefers intimidation, micromanagement and fear to rewarding performance, listening to staff, and fostering a collaborative work environment. Mediocrity, top-heavy management structure and ambivalence are how this front line staff member sees the company. They pay lip service to employee development plans. Nepotism and favoritism are evident.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to provide input, stop micro-managing, restructuring and causing employee stress. Read about the benefits of truly happy employees. Discover the talent that is in the company with a progressive HR strategy. Stop telling staff about our growth, success, and fabulous "numbers", and initiating cutbacks at the same time. You come across as disingenuous and lacking in credibility to staff. Employees are often better at finding efficiencies and cost savings than senior management.