Onyx-Fire Protection Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "****** WARNING DON'T NOT WORK HERE**********Why do good people leave good company's bad poor management"

Former Employee - Demolition in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Demolition in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't waste your time for this company its is the worst demo company ever do not work here I repeat do not work here

Cons

Ok well we all know that the work is not hard anyone who ever work there knows this in the demo side there is one problem and its with a little man who we all know well too yell scream say racist remarks who also likes to play with his nose....... Its no wonder I seen him get BANNED from sites. For being him a mean rude disrespectful person but when u go too upper management you get the run around and threatened with your job that Lil man would always go on about the "no call list" yeah buddy who wrote "we don't fire ppl we work with the bad apples" b.s they don't get told they are fired they get no call for work and just sit there there is only one thing that will make this company mostly the demo side move forward LOOSE THE LIL COKE HEAD SMURF and watch how your turn over rate stops I worked there for 2 years and watched well over 150 ppl come and go and then some that should have stayed gone came back remember "sky's the limit" "bodysbodys we need body's" the only thing you need to work here is a heart beat and work boots and the will work you to the bone then chuck you when you get hurt or are done with you this is the worst company EVER DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 4 foot nothing bully in the demo side

"Disgruntled Employess"

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a company that puts over 150 people to work on a daily basis all year round. That's both field technicians and office staff. That's impressive for a privately owned company in today's economy.

This is a company that treats people more than fairly, and instead of firing people, they work with "the bad apples" until there is nothing to try.

It's a pay for performance situation. This being said employees are very much better paid than what the competition is paying for the same positions. But, exactly like it should be, if you want more, you need to work better, be more productive and demonstrate that you can exce. That you are a leader not a folower.

In truth the turnover rate is actually very low. Many employees have been here for 2,5, 10 even 20 years. The company offers a family atmosphere and management has a completely open door policy.

Cons

There are very few cons. The one thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the company is too willing to try and work with people who aren't seeing the big picture, people who are concerned with short terms gains as opposed to long terms benefits. And for that, the company suffers and it seems many who did not have what it takes to rise above being just a worker bee are given a venue here to attack the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing. Nothing needs to chnage at Onyx-Fir.

3. "no rewards without sacrifice"

Pros

I have witnessed Onyx having achieved excellence in the fire protection industry. This could not be done without the relentlessness of our crew Certified sprinkler fitters and fire alarm technicians providing exceptional service to all customers. As a team we understand that providing exceptional service comes with sacrifice. The sacrifice is rewarded with state of the art equipment up-to-date service vehicles and professional uniforms. Not to mention job security top wages and a great crew that you can always lean on for help in the field or in the office

Onyx takes care of their people. Staff that suffer medical illnesses, and conditions that affect tjier day-to-day activity, are not treated any different. Management Adjust work duties and workload to suit all technicians and to accommodate all of us as we are a family.
     Management always goes the extra mile and even when short periods of slow down our eminent they always manage to accommodate 40 hours a week for all of their hard-working staff.

Cons

If you're unwilling to make sacrifices you will never be Successful not in life and certainly not an Onyx.
     The better you are at your job detail the more you will be sought after and requested for service calls and for special projects by the office and more importantly by clients.
     It is easy to become exhausted and overwhelmed GET OVER IT !!!
     You are professionals getting paid top dollar for every ounce of hard work

Advice to Management

Keep your open door policy stay in tune with your technicians their comments and concerns and the sky is the limit

"Proceed with caution"

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive wages and a great benefit package
    - Opportunies for raises and advancement
    - Certain people will do well there
    - The president and the other executives are nice and fairly approachable

Employees who meet the following criteria may like Onyx:
    - Thrive in a fast paced, high pressure environment; not easily flustered
    - Willing to work long hours without overtime pay
    - Work hard, play hard mentality
    - Not sensitive: able to handle yelling, swearing and aggression

I think Onyx is a good fit for some and potentially a good place to get experience, but you have to know what you're getting yourself into. See cons below.

Cons

- 45+ hours a week without overtime pay and no real lunch break. Hour lunch breaks are highly discouraged. Finding time to eat can be difficult.
    - Little to no flexibility with work hours or days off and general lack of work-life balance
    - High stress: many staff are exhausted and frequently sick
    - Unprofessional work environment. I don't think it's appropriate or acceptable the way people speak to each other there.
    - Sexist culture: pay inequality, inappropriate jokes and conversations, a preference for hiring attractive young women, etc.
    - Extremely high turnover rate

Advice to Management

- It is not fair or realistic to expect the same level of dedication and commitment to your business that you or your family members have. You shouldn't expect staff to work for free, essentially, and sacrifice so much of their personal life and even their health and wellbeing for your business. You have to earn that commitment and loyalty or provide proportionate compensation.
    - Calculate how much it costs you to replace an employee.
    - Do some research on work-life balance, productivity and burnout.
    - Consider having different shifts to cover office hours while providing flexibility for staff.
    - Human Resources department, person or consultant
    - Sound proof the boardrooms

"A Non-Biased Review"

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time

Pros

Very passionate about their company and culture... Even suggesting to current employees to write mostly favorable reviews on this very website.
    There is a lot of truth to what people say about this company and a lot of 'hurt' feelings that are apparent in the mostly negative reviews.
    Good wages ("we pay top dollar in the industry").
    If you are dedicated and keep your head down - you are treated well.
    Good business model.
    Cares about their clients.

Cons

Wages come with some major drawbacks...
    - Old School Mentality of managing people. Pitting and bullying employees against each other to see who 'cares more' or is 'more committed'
    - Don't ever say that you want have work-life balance. You will be secretly ridiculed or perceived as being weak.
    - Boys Club... exists. You are either in or out.
    - Misogynistic?.... Yes. A strong word to use but Men and Women are treated very differently.
    - High Turnover.... YES. Only the strong and determined survive.
    - Sometimes they create drama for entertainment value.
    - Basic employee rights are positioned as a grand gesture to show how much you are appreciated and how hard the manager worked to get it for you... Really?... Yes. Management always needs the upper hand.
    - Advancement is treated as a carrot on a stick to keep you quiet and working.

Advice to Management

The Owner and President is a great, approachable, understanding individual. But the leaders are not people you would rally behind. Get some leaders in place and employee retention/job satisfaction will come with it.

"Don't be fooled by good reviews."

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Please do not trust the good responses. It is known in the office that they go around asking people to write reviews. Most of them regret it when they leave. Read these reviews carefully and you will notice the trend.

Cons

-over worked
    -under appreciated
    -treated like meat
    -no life/work balance
    -managers are bias and bullies

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time

Pros

I worked at Onyx-Fire for two and a half years. The great thing about Onyx is the cross functional training that employees receive. It helps with understanding the industry if you have no prior background like myself as you get a chance to see what part of the company you really enjoy. There is a lot of opportunity to grow within the company as long as you're willing to work hard. The starting pay is above average with lots of opportunities for raises as well as a good benefits package. The rest of the employees are all very friendly and make you feel like you are part of the Onyx family right away. Management encourages employees to voice their opinions as long as you have facts to support your opinions. All in all the Onyx team was great to me and always had my best interests in mind. They provided me with great tools to learn and pushed me to grow.

Cons

Some managers are more approachable than others with regards to questions and concerns. Onyx has grown a lot and management can be reluctant to change procedures that have been implemented for years, such as check in on Monday mornings at 7:00 am. Micro managing between departments. There is also not a lot of flexibility with regards to start and end times. Ex. You must be in the office at 8:00am (no later) and the day ends at 5:00pm (no earlier). Higher turn over rate.

Advice to Management

My advice would be:
     -Be more flexible on start end times with employees
    - Less micro-managing. Allow your employees to make more decisions without always having to go to management for approvals
    - Implement a more structured hiring process to reduce the turnover rate

"Where are the work ethics?!!!!!!!!!!"

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time

Pros

The pros are very minimal considering how employees are treated there, extremely intense and negative.
    For example wages/benefits was fair, but everyday seemed like a battle fighting for sales, and it was put in your face "this is how we are being paid so work harder". No one wants to feel working for money is a challenge and the thought of sales not succeeding I may be fired or laid- off why put myself through anxiety.

Cons

First of all... if you read the overview that was provided, I don't think I need to say more. Very unprofessional of chosen cons, explains what this company is all about!
    I hope that not only people seeking to learn about Onyx, but also the people itself working at Onyx takes this into consideration.
    Onyx has very poor work ethics. No professionalism, no self respect and respect of others, no accountability, HUMILIATION of others, unfair treatment... this can go on.
    1. NO PROFESSIONALISM: The Company is so micromanaged. One person dealing with all issues, making it extremely difficult for workers to get their thoughts/opinions across. Making it very hard to deal with tight situations, working as a team, exceeding results, taking upon complaints and issues in a fair matter. Its so much pressure everyday makes it dreadful to work. It affects every individual working there. In ways it has changed good people into bad, or good people to leave. There is constant verbal aggression towards others on a daily basis with the use of inappropriate foul language, negative attitude, management is usually screaming or yelling. There is absolutely no peace.
    2. NO RESPECT: This term does not exist at Onyx, its found in almost all departments. The technicians really get treated terribly there, I feel bad for some of them because it’s just the way they get spoken too for the most simplest things like forgetting paperwork in the trucks or lost it. I feel like there is another way of speaking to people if something goes wrong. I had days where I gave more than what was expected and I thought I would make my supervisor happy, but instead she provides so much confusion and gets upset for extra work I did was unnecessary.
    3. ACCOUNTABILITY: It always seemed like it’s your fault. Management fails to listen to there employees, and understand how the issue arises. There is also really bad training, but still the blame is on you.
    4. HUMILIATION: They are not afraid to make you look bad infront of others. Goes back to respect. Coming from a person that sits quietly with very little socializing, I’ve been humiliated by my supervisor countless times, spoken in ways were I felt not liked, making it really hard to come to work.
    5. UNFAIR TREATMENT: This is a family owned business. But lets say other families are in this that doesn’t own the company but really run it to their liking. You have a husband and wife that are supervisors, you go to them when issues/concerns occur; but do you think issues gets resolved fairly? NO NEVER EVER. I don’t understand any company that allows this if there is no human resources department. I’ve seen the couple really being bias, and unfair and agreeing on situations that are handled as a couple. Then you have related family members to the couple that work there, doing over-time, working on breaks and they want that to be expected from employees, with no overtime pay, bonuses, or increase in wages.

Advice to Management

This is for the big guys (ceo, executives) PLEASE listen to the employees the ones that are making your business happen! It’s consistently that one person or the couple dealing with all issues and concerns and it’s going NO WHERE. That’s why you have such a high turnover in this company! Obviously it’s not the employees in every case. Don't you think maybe it’s the person dealing with all decisions affecting the loss of employees? It’s unfair that decision-making goes off based on the couples conclusion. I watched a very hard working, sincere co-worker get fired and you guys didn't get to understand the opponent side of the situation. What if you gave the opportunity to listen to the other side before making such rational decisions?! Very unfortunate.

9. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

The company is very passionate about customer service and it can lead to some pressure to turn things around for the clients but they make up for that by taking care of their employees. They do not lay anyone off when it is slow. We work harder to make sure we get past the slow times of the years and therefore the job stability is secure. The benefits are good.

Cons

They work with their employee too much and try to get them better. The only problem is other people have to work a little more to compensate for bad employees who rather play on facebook then work. After they discover the employee is too much they release the person and the next thing you know a bad review pops up.

Advice to Management

Be a little more picky who you hire. Getting tired of seeing bad reviews from bad employees.

"Warning!! Do not work for this company"

Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros for this company

Cons

The hours are to long and your under paid. No over time pay and they tell you to start early and you have to work late. No breaks and your not allowed to go out for lunch with anyone. You will get pulled into the board room and get threatened. They don't like you talking with anyone at work. When you are at your desk you are not allowed to talk. It's not a healthy environment. Watch out for the wife she's not nice and controls her husband who is management.

Advice to Management

Stop telling your workers to write good reviews because someone told the truth about you guys. People have the right to know what their getting themselves into. Stop treating your employees like slaves.