Onyx-Fire Protection Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional, family orientated, full benefits, easy commute (close to Toronto airport), office hours, stress free working environment with full training, great people to work with every day!

Cons

Early start on Mondays, No RRSP's for office employee's, The office is in an industrial area (must drive to lunch spots)

Advice to Management

More one on one interactions with the management and office staff. This could include the status of the company and our individual progress, so we feel better protected and secure with our jobs.

2. "One of the best company"

Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Onyx-Fire pay above minimum rate, plus the benefits covered a lot of things. The people are very nice and treat you as a family even the owners. A very good place to grow and gives you a lot of opportunities as they work well with people.

Cons

They trust their employees too much and up to the point that some people just take advantage of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing and serve the best service to people!

3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Operations Administrator
    Former Employee - Operations Administrator

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onyx Fire is definitely a company that I would recommend to a friend. The friendly employees and environment makes coming to work easy. The pay and benefits are above average. There is opportunity for growth and room for progression.

Cons

The everyday commute was challenging to manage as I lived quite far from the office.

Advice to Management

I don't have much advice to give to management except to continue what they have been doing. Their honesty and dedication to the company really reflects on the satisfied employees/customers. They are very friendly but also handles situations in a professional manner. Thank you for the opportunity and I wish the best to the company.

5. "Disorganized unprofessional workplace."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to get to exposed to a variety of projects and fast paced environment. Above average pay for the office workers.

Cons

Poor mid level management causing an unorganized environment. Poor track record with developers due to shotty. Very long working hours without overtime, weekends often needed to catch up. Company does not offer any career advancements such as continuing education, courses, seminars etc. Many employees leave before the one year mark due to stress. Average benefits package for all full time workers.

"Operations Admininstrator"

Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Above average pay scales, good health and benefits package, fun team building activities, increases based on performance, regular reviews with feedback provided

Cons

Need some sort of retirement savings plan for staff. People work long hard hours and need to know that something exists at the end of the rainbow

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a great place if you can keep up to the pace and environment.

7. "Very caring Company"

Pros

This company gave me an opportunity when no one else did. I have learned a lot of good values and skills during my training and employment. They actually do care about their employees and always making sure that they do the right thing. They did take their time for me to learn and be on phase. I would have stayed if we didn't have to move to west.

Cons

A lot of people who works at Onyx are the real hard working people, this is not place for someone who is lazy and a negative person.

Advice to Management

To open up branches across Canada

8. "Worst company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time

Pros

None! I'm stuck here till I find another job! I requested to take a vacation day and they pulled me into the board room and drilled me as to why I need the vacation day, then denied it.

Cons

Poor management, very unprofessional ....they make us work overtime without pay and I was told it is in my best interest to not take my lunch break. No one is allowed to go out for lunch break. Nepotism is huge...no room for growth. They rip their customers off. They are always watching you. Very uncomfortable. They hire a lot of young girls and then flirt with us. One VP had said to me that if we don't like it then they will get rid of us. They have no HR so it's their way.

Advice to Management

They need to stop lying to everyone and threatening their jobs. They do not like anyone getting along. Its sad to say that I work with the worst kind of people. Always being told that they want to make me better. Comparing me with their family. They are bullies so be ready to be treated with no respect. They will put you down every chance they get. Do not work for them....you will get sick.

"Good company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

Pros

I have been with Onyx for over 3 years. You can move up quick in the company if you want to work hard and there is a lot of cross training internally. They seem to be growing all the time and they really care about the clients. they have opened multiple companies since I have been here and people seem overall happy. pay is good, good benefits.. sick days paid

Cons

There is an overall pressure to keep the client happy and get the business but sometimes can feel overwhelming with very high expectations. pay is good but would be nice if they had a bonus or pension plan. The management team seems to be aggressive at times with each other.

Advice to Management

They need to look at a long term company incentive plan going forward to keep people long term

"Great place to grow with lots of opportunity!"

Current Employee - Technical Area in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Area in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Aggressive company that seems to grow more and more every year
    - Stablity
    - Opportunity to grow through out the company and make money. as a tech or office ( it seems?)
    - Customer service driven
    -They will work with you and there seems to be an open door policy in place (most times)

Cons

- Would hope they would expand nationally and province wide and create more opportunity for there employees.
    - They could do a better job at communicating the big picture and future of the company to the employees.
    - They will tell you if something is wrong but lack at times in rewarding and acknowledgement
    - Can be militant at times
    - sometimes they say they listen to there employees but don't!

Advice to Management

- Have a better understanding of more work life balance
    - Be more understanding of where people live in the GTA and understand the challenges of traffic!!!
    - Need more training for there staff!!

"Caution"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Onyx-Fire Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your Credibility is at risk

Cons

This Company hires so they can issue blame on its Employees for their failures

Advice to Management

Boy Scouts and Arrogance cannot successfully run a Company.
    Fortunately for the Owner, the real Men in the service vehicles are keeping this Company going.