Open Systems International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Open Systems International President Bahman Hoveida
Bahman Hoveida

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good opportunities for developing skills, relaxed work environment, friendly and helpful coworkers (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, great people, really enjoy the work I do and I get to work with creative, intelligent and friendly colleagues (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Finally I was approached by someone from upper management today to tell me that (in 9 reviews)

• They offer limited options to work from home but sometimes it is approved (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Cons

Salary is below average for level of education, corporate building is located out in the middle of corn fields

2. "Mandatory Review"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Medina, MN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Medina, MN

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Sure is.

Cons

I'm entering at least 5 words for this.

3. "Waste of market leader potential and good talent"

Pros

Building is new and clean, looks like an Apple Store. Free pop and decent amenities. I'm adding words here because Glassdoor is saying I need to have at least 20 words worth of pros, which I don't.

Cons

OSI is sick environment that is truly worthy of both the praise and criticism they receive. They strive to have a good culture but fail miserably. Middle management is allowed to run the company with this heads up their rears. And senior management is too busy self serving like a fortune 100 in the 90s.

They truly are positioned to dominate the market but until Bahman (CEO and founder) gets smart enough to shake things up and hire a real CEO to scale his business, he'll never cross the 75M mark in revenue. A company cannot grow if the employees aren't growing. The revolving door effect is strong at OSI. Those that do stick around bust their tail for at least five years to earn titles such as Supervisor. Unless you're an expert Butt kisser or a blonde, don't expect a promotion.

If you're fresh out of college and just need to pay some bills and get a logo on your LinkedIn, by all means you can work here and be satisfied. But I promise in retrospect after you've worked at virtually anywhere else, you'll realize how toxic and wasteful the culture is here.

Advice to Management

Hire a real CEO to scale the business. Turn over your middle management and hire outside talent with the authority to fix the culture, work life balance, and pay issues. Make it the best company possible and then sell to an acquisition for 300M if possible.

4. "Good, growing company"

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture.

Focus on development and not on turnover.

Lots of growth and opportunity for the future.

Flexible work schedule to suit your life and commute.

Cons

Only downside is the location and distance from the city

5. "Good Company"

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and sociable workmates
    Excellent management for anyone fresh out of college
    Lots of travel opportunities

Cons

Monthly pay
    Travel opportunities are often last minute
    Training program was bulked up with information not needed for the job

Advice to Management

Develop a more robust training program and be more flexible with reimbursing expenses

6. "Mixed Bag With A Unique Personality"

I worked at Open Systems International full-time

Pros

Fun group of young professionals trying to figure out their futures
    Industry leader with a growing and impressive customer base
    Good benefits
    A few really talented people in key spots keeping everything moving ahead despite others

Cons

Terrible location, not near anything fun or useful
    Personality conflicts within upper management causes a lot of political drama
    Outdated code base and few opportunities to learn modern languages - resume killer!
    Low pay compared to everyone else in the area

Advice to Management

Get everyone on the same page before taking on big projects instead of relying on new employees to (hopefully) speak up.
    Provide competitive wages to get the right people instead of relying on training up those with only somewhat related degrees to save a buck.

7. "This experience convinced me to give up software engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Open Systems International full-time

Pros

They have decent company events.

Cons

-They are out in the middle of nowhere, the commute from any of the nice neighborhoods in the twin cities will be horrendous.
    -Compensation sucks. They do have slightly above-average PTO but well below-average pay.
    -Management is very hit and miss. One manager was very good and helpful but another was a total jerk and pretended to understand his products while really knowing next to nothing about them and getting upset when asked questions about it.
    -They say they will give you a 60 day review but it really takes many more months than that and they don't give much else in terms of feedback.
    -Their codebase is a huge bear to work with and very old.
    -Senior executives are very rude and will call you into their office to cuss you out about something minor they didn't like.
    -You will be looked down upon if you aren't putting in at least 50 hours a week. Combined with the bad compensation this can make life pretty miserable.

Advice to Management

Please stay right where you are and away from the many better places in the twin cities.

"Five plus years with OSI"

I worked at Open Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to gain some experience and grow. It is the kind of place that once you learn a job you can stay awhile and set up a stable home. Vice versa, it's a reasonable place to put in a few years and make friends for future connections. They make real attempts to make employees like their work environment.

Cons

Even if they love you, they pay less than competitors, expect about 20% less. They have come to expect a turnover rate of 2 - 3 years. Life is harder in some departments. Training is limited, expect long nights up front to teach yourself the details.

Advice to Management

Hang in there. OSI is a funny machine that continues to lumber forward. When I was there, turnover among leadership felt high. The leaders who stayed the longest seemed to view fighting fires as a journey not a destination.

"Excellent Opportunities"

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OSI is growing quickly which has given me lots of opportunities to grow into a position that fits me and the needs of the company. The work atmosphere is open and positive and my co-workers are fantastic.

Cons

With the constant growth there are growing pains, OSI could do better at planning ahead and communicating to employees to offset those pains for their current employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback, make the small changes that will improve employee morale.

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Open Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Very nice helpful people
    Room for Growth

Cons

No cons at this time.