Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "PC Technician"

Former Employee - PC Technician in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - PC Technician in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very thourough when getting you prepared to start an assignment. They keep following up with you to see how things are progressing. Very friend and down to earth business attitudes.

Cons

None while I was there....

"Poor company to work for"

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free lunches/food/snacks. Happy hour in the office. Work from home more than other companies.

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, no training. OST will put an inexperienced person on an account and bill the customer for an expert. OST was required to have a certification by a customer to do a deployment, they coaxed someone not on that customer team to receive it and then lied to the customer. General jackassery like that.

Advice to Management

Most of the staff I've talked to are interviewing elsewhere and ready to leave. Might want to think about listening to issues from employees and fix things rather than threaten them with being fired.

"Best place to work in the area"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in a variety of industries for both small and large companies and OST is hands down the best. The current President/CEO is an exceptional leader who cares an incredible amount about the state of the employees, there is ample opportunity to lead projects outside of your own immediate work sphere and lots of flexibility.

Cons

As with most growing companies it can always be a challenge to make sure team members know where they fit in to the growth strategy.

"Drunks who only care about the bottom line"

Current Employee - Principal in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Principal in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company, currently sending out resume's to leave as soon as possible.

Cons

Company is filled with drunks. Co-workers like to pressure you to go to bars with them even though it's against your religion. After identifying critical security concerns at customers I was told to not bring them up to the customer management as that would require us to work additional hours and result in a lower bonus. Staff is not to be trusted.

Advice to Management

OST needs a management change from top to bottom. You all need to go. Some of the things I've seen would cross into the criminally negligent.

6. "Great Company, Great Outlook, Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

I love the culture at OST, from the top to the bottom they are friendly and genuine, Management cares about their employees. You always get a few bad apples who would rather work in the tight-knit corporate world, with defined boundaries, set expectations, Please do not work here, you will be miserable, but for those of us who enjoy freedom to pick our own path, explore personal growth and the ability to dabble in many different technologies and feel everyone truly values your efforts, then this company is the right one for you.

Cons

The growth that OST has had over the past few years, brings with it some challenges. I feel that compensation for their existing employee base is probably the greatest challenge to date, we've been reassured that management is looking into this in certain key areas but it has been a while and have not seen much in the way of progress.

Advice to Management

Financial Compensation is the lifeblood of the employees, and the process is slow going at times. and needs improvement; It could be department based and perhaps my experience is limited to my own department.

7. "Culture as a Strategy"

Current Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Throughout my time at OST, there have been countless opportunities for me to develop in areas that I'm curious and passionate about. Leadership genuinely cares about employees as a whole people and I feel very fortunate to have been a part of such a fantastic organization.

Cons

Just reaching that maturation stage in a company where they're trying to find a balance between growth and sustainability. Leaves for a bit of uncertainty, but if you're flexible, they will take care of you.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - SQL Server Developer in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - SQL Server Developer in Concord, NC

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) (More than a year)

Pros

Paid higher rate than other company.

Cons

Missing in action. Never knew who my contact was. Didn't know my state tax laws are what employment forms I need.

9. "Better then most..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Employee oriented (for the most part). There is a really great group of people that work here. They are what makes OST a fun place to work.

Cons

Analysis paralysis. Since the company has grown, management has been unable to make decisions quickly. Compensation is stagnant.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen, take action.

"Do not believe the hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that are within the departments are amazing and I love working with them. Good job schedule flexability and hours flexability

Cons

Management does not care about treating employees fairly even though it is a stated goal to do so, outside of cost of living increases raises are none existent, all employees are not held to the same standards, communication from management about employee specific issues is pathetic, job titles mean nothing

Advice to Management

start listening to all your employees not just your favorite ones, actively try to fix these issues

"don't work here or do business with OST."

Current Employee - Don't Waste Your Time in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Don't Waste Your Time in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

it is a paycheck. no other pros.

Cons

salary is a joke, no raises, no promotions, no communication anywere in the company. forced to work 50-70 hour weeks because my other team members cant pull their weight and management doesn't know how to track time. no training or learning resources. management flat out lies. no career advancement.

Advice to Management

stop being elitist jerks and run a company right. I'm currently looking for employment else where. for a company that keeps talking about how great there communication is I can't understand how little they communicate anything to anyone inside the company.