Open Systems Technologies Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harold Herling

Pros
  • They reward hard work very handsomely and so you have the ability to make quite a bit of money (in 3 reviews)

• Good commission plan, good starting salary (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Their is absolutely NO training provided (in 4 reviews)

• Need improvement in Health Insurance Plans & economic premium (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Life is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture - casual, and laid back environment, paid healthcare, unlimited vacation days, free treats every month, occasional happy hours.
    The ability to make a lot of money - if you're good at your job, the opportunities are endless here. You can easily make six figures here.
    Autonomy - OST fosters a culture of self motivation and autonomy. You are able to work on what you want, when you want it.
    Support - all 4 MD's sit on the recruiting floor in NYC and provide support and mentoring as needed.
    Career Growth - The only limit to growth and success at OST is your own limitations. Upper management tries their hardest to ensure everyone achieves what they want to

Cons

Recruiting is a sales job, so as with any sales career there are your typical cons.
    Hours can be long from time to time
    The casual environment can be hard to get used to

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and provide them with the ability to explore new ideas and responsibilities

Nov 7, 2016 – Associate Director

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We are so glad that you are having a great time at Open Systems. Keep up the great work and we'll be sure to share your advice to senior management.

2. "Contractor through OST"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Open Systems Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

My Account manager was very easy to work with. And the communication throughout the interview process was very open.

Cons

Pretty standard staffing agency, IMO.

Aug 1, 2016 – Associate Director

Hi, Thanks so much for leaving us a review! We are glad that you think our communication lines are open, it's one of our priorities. And as always, let us know if there is anything else we could ... More

"Senior Java Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Java Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Java Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive. Good in assisting in immigration matters.

Cons

Need improvement in payroll schedule & processing.
    Need improvement in Health Insurance Plans & economic premium.

Mar 24, 2016 – Associate, Marketing and Social Media

Thank you so much for your feedback! We’re very happy to hear that you found OST supportive throughout your process – that’s one of our number one goals here! Also, thank you for bringing to our ... More

"Very fair and good company to work with"

Current Employee - Senior BA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior BA in New York, NY

Pros

Nice to be part of open systems consulting , very clear and communication form top to management . Always there to help for any need related to personal attentions or professional decisions.

Cons

none ! not here anything wrong for this company. They are doing very good job for running this company in professional way.

Mar 24, 2016 – Associate, Marketing and Social Media

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We’re so glad to hear that you’re pleased with the way we run things over here at OST. We’ll make sure to continue to keep communication channels open!

6. "Love to work"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies as a contractor

Pros

Good company lot of clients. transparent salary

Cons

nothing i can see as of now

"Good contract house"

Former Employee - Contractor in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Contractor in Newark, NJ

Pros

Low markup on contractor rates. Attentive to both client and contractor needs. Never had a problem with them.

Cons

Pays when client pays, so you need to follow up with client if there are issues with starting payment. No frills.

Advice to Management

Payment transparency to client could be improved when onboarding a new contractor.

8. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Good management and handling of new joinee

Cons

Dont know much yet. Just started

9. "So incredibly unimpressed"

Current Contractor - Consultant (Programmer Analyst) in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Consultant (Programmer Analyst) in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Recruiter was a nice guy. Same listings as everyone else. They pay.

Cons

This recruiting company is ok. I never really put much thought into who I was consulting through because it was pretty standard. Invoice, get paid. But, now it seems like they are playing games around consultant paid sick days that is not mandated in NYC. Its already been over a month and a half and still getting the run around.

I have tried to get clarifications, although via several of the employees there, it is a very very painful process. If you are consulting, at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the people who are working in hr? Why are you having consultants doing the job of first level HR individuals when all of the required information is already available to them?

"Very Professional"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really is a great firm that cares about the people they work with by looking out for their best interest at all times.

Cons

The work environment is very fast pace and if you are not well organized it is very easy to lose your train of thought.

"The more you put in, the more you get out - a great place to really grow and do well if you want to"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Open Systems Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I came back to OST after leaving. That should tell you enough.

- OST has a great office environment - it's casual and fun and very free.
    - There is no official vacation policy and unlimited sick days - so no one ever feels uncomfortable calling out if required.
    - They reward hard work very handsomely and so you have the ability to make quite a bit of money.
    - You have the ability to pick and choose what to work on, making you your own boss in many ways.
    - I was getting burned out with recruiting, and OST worked with me to create a brand new position so I could do more of what I wanted outside of recruiting yet still add value to the company. Not many places are willing to work with you in the dog eat dog world we live in these days.
    - Your success honestly depends on how much you want to put in. The harder/smarter you work, the better you will do. - You are encouraged to put together your own recruiting strategy, and work with what does best for you.
    - Unlike other places, where your upper limit is stated by those above you, OST is a very flat organization where everyone from the MDs to the person hired yesterday recruits and is on the same level.
    - We are starting a great training program for junior recruiters that will allow them to quickly ramp up into the recruiting world.

Cons

Because of the open environment, people freely state their opinions. If you are someone who is more formal, or more sensitive, it's a hard thing to get used to.
    Recruiting is an easy area to enter, but a hard one to master. It's not for everyone, and many sales people falter because of the niche area we work in
    Like any job, the hours can be long sometimes, and often decisions are out of your control.

Advice to Management

The more OST encourages new ideas and allows people to expand their responsibilities, the better the company's future. I would also ideally like a more structured program on how to expand once beyond the recruiter stage, but that's just me.