OpenDNS Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch
David Ulevitch

Pros
  • My manager respects my work life balance but I work really hard when I am here and I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• Fast-growing company backed by the best VCs filled with smart people in all parts of the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains with sales operations (in 5 reviews)

• Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down (in 3 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great leadership, interesting work, in a good environment and location. Free company ski trips every year!

Cons

The usual growing pains of a startup, since acquired by a larger company.

Advice to Management

none

"An absolutely amazing security company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The thing I loved most about OpenDNS is that literally everything you are doing is groundbreaking. This isn't the place for people who want to build yet another cat photo sharing site, but for people who want to advance the state of the art in technology. Inventors and doers will feel right at home here.

Cons

This isn't a place to phone it in. You need to be dedicated and believe in making the internet a better place.

"If I could design the perfect place to work, this would be it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If I were to design the perfect place to work, I'd design OpenDNS.

The company offers everything, from challenging work that'll impact tens of millions of end users around the world, to a supportive, team-based culture where you can grow professionally and learn.

People talk a lot about the importance of building a mission-driven organization. OpenDNS epitomizes it. Decisions are made with the weight of their positive effect on the Internet. It feels good to be a part of OpenDNS, and we're proud of the work we do.

Cons

The closest thing to a con is the speed at which we're growing (fast!). It can create challenges.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS (More than a year)

Pros

Besides all of the quirky perks, the people make this place an awesome environment. The hiring managers take the time needed to find the right person that fits the culture as well as the job.

Cons

Really don't have much to say here. There is a lot of change, but with any company (especially tech companies) change is to be expected.

"The best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down, the best part of OpenDNS is the culture. Not only are your colleagues fun and interesting but they're very intelligent and A-players. It's rewarding to work on such a high performing team. Moreover, OpenDNS is full of thought leaders in the security space, which means that we have a very accomplished team solving interesting problems that define the future of security. There's little hierarchy, which means that good ideas shine through no matter who you are, and executives are very accessible. The management structure works very well and managers tend to take the time to give meaningful feedback so that you can develop as an individual.

Cons

As with any startup, the hours are long. However, you see the results of the work you put in, so for me, it's worth it. Compensation is fairly low compared to other tech companies, so you need to proactively negotiate.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing that vision! Do whatever it takes to preserve the essence of the culture, which is what keeps awesome people at OpenDNS. Keep giving us opportunities to be leaders in security!

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company with an amazing culture. CEO really cares about you on a personal level.

Cons

Acquired by Cisco - don't know how this will impact our future.

"A great company - from the beginning"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

David's a very down-to-earth CEO. He has the skills to build product himself - which as an engineer, I admire. This also helps keep him grounded.

OpenDNS has pivoted a since I was there. The company used to be more consumer and SMB-focused, now it's enterprise. The core mission is the same - to make the internet safer faster smarter and more reliable for their customers.

Cons

Things are probably better now, but when I was at OpenDNS many years ago... we could have used some more people with more experience. Out of the first 10 employees ~8 of us were under 30.

"One Team, One Dream"

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenDNS is an awesome place to work because they truly believe in three things: their mission, work/life balance, and investing in their employees. It's refreshing to wake up in the morning and actually want to go to work, and I think that's how most employees feel at OpenDNS. As is the case at many companies in San Francisco, the perks are great: lunch three times a week, fully-stocked fridges, and plenty of parties and happy hours. The one thing that really differentiates OpenDNS is the drive, ambition, and attitude of everyone around you. It's great to be able to play up a level, and not down.

Cons

It's weird to say that there aren't any cons. But there aren't—this job and company have been awesome from day one. Sure, there are the day-to-day office-type challenges, but those pale in comparison to the amazing experiences I've had here.

"Couldn't be happier here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been here for a few years now and am extremely happy. The management team is rock solid and the technology being created is super interesting. The office (which recently doubled in size) is gorgeous and we have an awesome team that makes it a great place to be every day. The people hare are the best and the brightest and it truly shows through the product.

Cons

Can't think of anything to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep us on the path we're on and do everything you can to retain employees.

"Review of OpenDNS as a place to build a career"

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flat hierarchy where the best idea wins, collaborative environment where anyone can enact change, excellent sr. leadership team with an open door policy, amazing culture (food, ping pong, foosball, external work outings), awesome product in a high-growth industry, good $ and benefits, opportunity to quickly advance based on personal merit, great work-life balance, company-wide outings to Tahoe

Cons

The Founder/CEO doesn't personally serve me my fresh-made waffles on waffle-wednesdays, although he takes part in making them.