OpenDNS Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch
David Ulevitch

Pros
  • My manager respects my work life balance but I work really hard when I am here and I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• Fast-growing company backed by the best VCs filled with smart people in all parts of the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains with sales operations (in 5 reviews)

• Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down (in 3 reviews)

"Poor Management, lack of transparency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical start-up perks - tons of free snack, free lunch 3 days a week, fun happy hours and team outings, yoga offered in the office and Waffle Wednesdays.

Cons

Communicating with management was horrible - they were often too busy to make time to talk with their employees. No career path and very little guidance. No help with growing within the company. Compensation wasn't great. Limited projects so the work could get boring fairly quickly.

"Sales Account Manager"

I worked at OpenDNS full-time

Pros

Typical Start-up Perks.
    Snacks, Lunch 3-days/week, Ping-Pong
    (Seemingly) Lots of Opportunity, and started-off as a very fun place to work.

Cons

Too many Office Politics for a Start-Up
    Very high-pressure sales environment with no help from Marketing Dept to initiate any warm sales-leads.
    Lots of cold-calling required to maybe enable Sales Goal Attainment.
    Cut-throat Sales Environment
    The CEO is a good guy, but has other people around him that have no idea what they're doing. Nobody in Sales seems to genuinely like the VP of Sales.
    Coming from one of the 'favorite' employees at OpenDNS: "I cannot believe what happens around me."
    I am certainly glad I am not working at OpenDNS any longer.

"Could be a really cool place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is full of the usual perks: free food a few times per week, surprise treats delivered every so often and monthly happy hour gatherings. If you're straight out of college looking for a fun full time gig, than I'm going to say the roles and pay may work well for you.

Cons

This is a startup that has people that have worked up the ranks to get to their position. No experience, not really qualified, just calling the shots on small picture type stuff. At 100 plus people this was quite scary for me. Everyone looks at the upcoming launch projects and not enough at the problems that need to be fixed before the upcoming products are released. There just wasn't enough structure, processes, leadership strength or opportunities in place for me to be happy working for this company.

"Slow moving company moving in the right direction"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique security solution that is easy to implement and rollout. OpenDNS uses big data analytic's from seeing 3-4% of the worlds internet traffic through its 20+ worldwide DNS DC's. It takes this information and is able to predict where threats on the web are: malware, phishing threats, etc.

Cons

CEO is the founder. He was a kid when he started and still is today - young, immature and green. A good hacker but a poor leader. It's key for him to hire the right C levels to execute the vision and strategy.

Place has turned into a grind shop - high pressure, micro-managing, high expectations - little reward little recognition... very unbalanced. Company is slow moving - been around for 9 years and is trying to penetrate the Enterprise security market from being a consumer content filtering solution.

It's key for him to hire the right C levels to execute the vision - end of the day David U is just a hacker not a leader. Place is turning into a grind factory. High expectations, high pressure from management - low compensation, low reward. Very unbalanced.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward your employees. Continue to high "A players" but pay them the appropriate wages.

6. "Intern"

Pros

Good Company. Great Staff . Manager was good

Cons

Location is in San Francisco

"Almost, not quite"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, people, office. You will work alongside some talented, quirky, intelligent people here. Best in class product that you can proudly stand behind. Not a culture of one-upsmanship, very "one team" mentality. Waffles on Wednesdays.

Cons

Base pay much lower than similar roles at other companies. Sales org still working out lots of process kinks. Transitional time with the Cisco acquisition. Lack of clarity with org roadmap and young inexperienced managers = difficult making a future for myself here.

Advice to Management

Hiring more experienced managers or providing better training for first time managers would improve this overall gripe people share.

8. "Good Overall"

Pros

Some of the most intelligent, hardworking people I've met in my career. Great office culture, tight knit community, and overall sense of humor in an otherwise bland and serious industry. A CEO that really cares, shows his face around the office, is involved in the day to day of the company.

Cons

An overall sense of uncertainty, coming from a lack of direction and communication from above. Young, inexperienced managers that have earned their position on seniority > merit. Different departments were often at odds with one another due to a lack of clear, consistent communication.

Advice to Management

More training and development for employees.

9. "Good engineers, but Cisco acquisition is hurting"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great engineers. Learned a lot working here. Everyone seems enthusiastic about our work.
    * Super laid-back culture. Usually no deadlines, no strict development processes.
    * Benefits are pretty great. Top-notch health insurance, large bonuses twice a year.

Cons

* Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down. More and more often, it seems upper management makes seemingly arbitrary decisions that get handed down like decrees, with no input from engineers, and no opportunity to object. Seems like lots of engineers are getting fed up and leaving because of it.
    * Pay isn't really competitive at all
    * We seem to have a lot of trouble hiring people, probably in large part because of the pay

Advice to Management

* Cisco bought us because we did security better than them. Stop making decisions for us. Value feedback from your engineers.
    * You need to pay your engineers what they're worth

"Mixed feelings - Don't believe all the positive reviews"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation is pretty good.
    - I learned a lot just by having smart people around me.
    - Catering.
    - Work/life balance.

Cons

- HR solicited all these glowing employee reviews - so when something seems to good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.
    - Clique-ish culture - Lots of Ex-Sophos folks that keeps hiring their friends. Members of the clique include managers and protect each other. If you screw up and you're a part of the clique, don't worry, your manager will do his best to make sure that nobody else knows. If you screw up but you're not part of the clique, be ready for public shaming.
    - Quite a bit of technical debt.
    - Plenty of middle management that seem to collect a paycheck for not really producing much.

Advice to Management

Some people do not deserve their title.
    Do not let them impose their culture.
    Do not let people who just read "scrum and kanban 101" lead teams.
    Fear-based management simply does not work.
    Focus on what made the company a great place at one point in time.

11. "Good place to learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good work life balance here

Cons

Could have had better benefits

Advice to Management

Good work with the strategy. Not too happy with the benefits.