OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 29 reviews)

• Brilliant product, great culture, great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

"Unstrategic, Inefficient Mess with Endless Unmet Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenTable has such amazing potential to become a truly bigger part of dining out. There are endless ways to grow the business & opportunities to chase. There's never a shortage of ideas here or things to work on.

MOST people are kind & work/life balance is great. Location is convenient to public transport & food options. There's also lots of flowing booze & costumes if you're into that.

Cons

Unstrategic, unfocused, & inefficient - Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked on these attributes. We're desperately trying to prove our worth post-acquisition, doing too many things & doing all of them poorly. Unfocused strategy along with general inefficiency across the board = a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut-off.

Highly political, where who you knows & who you suck up to is rewarded. "Yes" people are favored over those that question. Directors & above only focus on managing upwards vs. inspiring & leading teams below. People subtly fight for more power, people, & budget, by spinning stories with data to meet their needs & self-interests, instead of putting the interests of others & the business first.

Lots of churn of great people leaving frustrated with the environment.

Advice to Management

Get more focused & efficient fast. Investigate sexism more closely.

"A very disorganized and frustrating place to work with high rate of churn"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's always a ton of booze if you're into that

Cons

Leadership keeps changing, a lot of employee churn, no clear process across teams, the quality of work that gets launched is abysmal, feels like no one is actually invested in the product

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees feel crummy for your lack of planning and organization. Some people work very hard but there are too many roadblocks in place to be effective.

"Disappointed"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Upper-management personnel were very accessible.

Cons

High turnover; questionable job security

Advice to Management

Try and improve your sales turnover

"Short Sighted"

Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the engineers are quite enjoyable to work with. All talented and helpful. I am still friends with many of the people I worked with while there.

OT was also great for continual learning. Supporting the team with books and conferences.

Cons

The business structure and hierarchy is larger than needed and rarely hears things from the bottom.

OT also chose to close a branch office (the one I worked at) with no real investigation into the work that we did. Then proceeded to wait until the last week of our employment to actually care about transition. (At which point they panicked)

The conglomerate (Priceline Group owns OpenTable, each with their own CEOs), didn't work. It might be a failure to communicate, but having two CEOs on top of a board and shareholders felt like it stifled innovation, but having too many layers of approval and blame caused nothing to happen.

Advice to Management

Don't:
    Close an office right before the holidays
    Close an office without a plan to transition services when no one accepts relocation

Do:
    Remember that not everyone wants to live in SF
    Connect with teams, even if they are not around the corner

"Great folks, but overall mediocre"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The best part about OpenTable is the company culture and the people. Your colleagues are approachable and a delight to work with on a day-to-day basis. The company also throws fun happy hours and parties to allow you to get to know your colleagues and enjoy each other's company.

The company's products and future vision is much more practical and well-defined under Christa's leadership.

Cons

The company is very cheap. The systems are severely outdated, which creates a lot of manual work. Efficiency is not a priority and never discussed. The common complaints to why the company does not have the basic necessities is "it's not in the budget." I imagine this is because the Priceline Group examines every single penny the company is spending.

Growth opportunities and promotions are determined closely linked to how close you are with your manager rather than merit. Despite making repeated cases for a promotion or a growth plan, your manager holds the key to whether you get to move up or have the support to foster growth in your role. This is quite a contradictory vision given that the People & Culture team emphasizes how much employee growth matters, but the team does absolutely nothing to enforce this. The company also needs to invest in mandatory manager training (again - cheap!) to establish some sort of uniformity. A lot of folks have moved into manager or team lead positions who have not managed teams before because of high turnover rates the company experienced in 2014 and 2015.

Compensation and benefits are severely below market. My salary is 50%+ higher at my new company for the same role. The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies.

Advice to Management

Invest more money internally! If your employees are happy and are growing in their roles, more they will invest in the company, and the more the company will prosper.

"Lipstick on a Pig"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of fun people at OpenTable, with a shared passion for food and dining.

Cons

OpenTable is really good an presenting an image and tooting its own horn as a great place to work, but it's all flash and very little substance. Employees are not recognized for their accomplishments and people get thrown under the bus so their managers can save face. KPIs are mostly vanity metrics. The people who yell the loudest about how great they are get the most attention. It's hard to advance at all, and harder still if you're female (though perhaps the new female CEO will do something about that). It's a very cliquey environment that can often feel like a frat house.

Advice to Management

There is a reason people have been leaving in droves. Make an honest assessment of how management treats your talent. Take action where you know there are toxic leaders.

"Cheap"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technologies used are up to date. Flexibility in choosing technologies to solve problems. Convenient location.

Cons

Business does not value employees. Resistance to providing meaningful benefits/perks for employees (cheap). Management seems incompetent.

Advice to Management

Provide better quality foods/beverages. Keep items in kitchen stocked. Allow more team building meals. Management needs better ethics.

"I keep hoping things improve."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely great work-life balance, and I'm almost shocked to read other's who wrote that as a con. Most of the employees in SF have families and tend to leave around 6pm every day.

Almost all my colleagues are super friendly and great to work with. Plus, we're all foodies! I've never found so many great places to eat in the city than during my time here at OpenTable.

There's a lot of passion for making the best restaurant experience. Everyone from the bottom of the company really believes in the mission.

Cons

With that said, where do I begin with the cons? First off, the CEO is hardly around and makes bizarre low-level decisions without entrusting of his direct reports.

Another exec is completely out of touch with their org other than a couple projects that interest them. This makes communication a gigantic hurdle and employee promotions a struggle.

Another team came in from an acquisition with an *extremely* toxic employee who insults everyone around them causing stress and damaging to the culture and still manages to get praised by the exec team.

We have a very tiny budget for anything that increases employee happiness. Only a few employees have standing desks, and there's only a couple boxes of fruit for 400+ employees, and we share low quality Costco sugar snacks. The office manager does care about this problem, but there's little they can do given the unreasonable constraint on budget.

Advice to Management

Every quarter there's some new mission that's completely different from the last quarter. So ultimately there's just no long-term planning for the company. A company like OpenTable needs a 3 to 5 year plan of action, but instead we're always so focused on the now.

Communication between all the levels of the company is also extremely poor. I'm always amazed at how in the dark people are about very important things.

"Turnover is thy name"

Pros

Nice people, nice location, decent holidays/time-off, some decent leadership at times, some growth but not much.

Cons

Lost the culture from top to bottom, this is now a marginal service for most. Bad support in UK and Europe.

"Stiff, uptight people who lack creativity, but excellent compensation plan."

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation and benefit plan for sales people is excellent. If corporate culture is not a concern and you are strictly motivated by money, this is probably a good place for you to work.

The product is excellent. Nothing in the market compares to it.

Sales quota and targets are achievable.

Cons

Extremely stiff & uptight people who lack imagination and creativity. If corporate culture is important to you and you value working in an environment where creativity is encouraged and appreciated, this is not the place for you.

Sales managers pit salespeople against one another and encourage them to say negative things about each other. Be careful who you befriend, these reports go into your employee file and will likely be used against you later. Everyone out for themselves type of environment. It was like working on Celeb Apprentice every single day. Very hostile working environment.

Very quick to fire, so hit your targets or be fired. I always hit my targets, so I wasn't fired, but I saw this happen to a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Hire more mature sales managers and do exit interviews.