OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • the work/life balance here has been fantastic (in 31 reviews)

• Brilliant product, great culture, great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 11 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

"Project Coordinator"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Fun, fast paced environment, and great office location

Cons

Employee benefits below industry standard, general "clique-y" attitude amongst employees

Advice to Management

Amp up employee benefits

"At Least The Coworkers Are Great"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers(supervisors/agents), health insurance(ish), free snacks, pool table, valuable knowledge from tier 2 agents.

Cons

The pay is far lower than what it should be, the term "customer support representative" was an inaccurate title of what the job really is, senior management is cliquey (including HR), email agents get paid the same amount as phone agents (now THOSE are customer support representatives), a lot of promises not fully kept, high turnover rate which makes things increasingly difficult when this company hasn't even got its feet on the ground for in-house support, and the trainer is not familiar with technical processes (just learned training classes are taught incorrect troubleshooting steps for one of the connection issues).

Advice to Management

Title the job for what it is, promote those who deserve to be promoted, brush up your trainer, stop being petty (you're not really in a place to be), recognize those who are carrying heavier work loads (even if its just a thank you occasionally).

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your experience on the Customer Support team. We've recently made organizational and leadership changes by more tightly aligning... More

"So much potential..."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly and approachable colleagues, competitive pay (engineering), work/life balance (office is empty after 6pm...quite RARE in San Francisco)

Cons

Company priorities are all over the place. Both the restaurant and consumer side teams are working on far too many projects with little understanding of how this helps the company grow our top line. What exactly are the benefits of being a part of Priceline outside of stock/equity grants?

Advice to Management

Lots of underutilized resources in marketing, engineering, product and business development. There is such a big focus on recruiting new talent, but no standard guidelines to existing employees on how to grow internally. Promotions and new assignments are also announced randomly and without proper justification.

"Clunky and disorganized but well intended"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Playful environment, good people, a true sense of comradery, attractive and modern office space, nice kitchen and lounge area. Good benefits and PTO program. I feel more valued here than I have at any other call center I've worked at and certainly more at my last job. There is minimal push to hit prefixed stats, so it's quality before quantity, which is refreshing.

Cons

Grossly underpaid for the level of technical expertise and vast and varied system knowledge required. The "top down" management style creates more problems than it can solve. Departments do not seem to be educated on what the others departments do. Some departments have no appreciation for the people (ie, look down upon) on the front line at the call center. Certain programs are just broken and need a make over. Only a couple of supervisors have experience with OpenTable, thus leaving the rest unable to support and up-train their team adequately. Likewise, training is provided by a good guy, but who has minimal exposure and experience with the products. The opportunities to excel in new endeavors or roles seem shrouded at best.

Advice to Management

Include your team on the changes made before making them and abandon the "top down" management style. Integrate the teams that are supposed to support and work with one another and have unified standards and expectations for all departments. Learn how to manage by what your team needs in order to be successful. Hire from within the team for advancement for supervisor and other lead roles. Pay your people what they are worth and for the complex, challenging work they do every day.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Your candor is invaluable to our growth and I appreciate your feedback. As we continue growing our Denver contact center, we aim to refine and improve our training programs to be as effective as... More

"Fun, but weak middle management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- In general, smart, nice people
    - Good work/life balance
    - Fun vertical, interesting work
    - Great parties.
    - Lots of laughter

Cons

- Many of the management below the CxO layer is mediocre at best. No action taken on poor performing leaders. There is a tight circle of people who are the "in crowd" and they protect each other. I think the company could be performing much better if they had strong leadership at the Director+ level.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to be an inclusive culture and value strong leadership at OpenTable, and we are constantly working to improve. We have recently invited... More

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance & fun product

Cons

Little process, feels like high school all over again.

"Not the best, not the worst"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area
    *Relatively interesting industry
    *Fantastically innovative marketing department
    *Great happy hours/parties
    *Most employees are delightful

Cons

*Extremely political. The person with the loudest voice usually gets their way
    *No career progresion or training opportunities
    *Low pay relative to the bay area

Advice to Management

*Start investing in your employees. There are some seriously talented employees just itching for career progression and education. Take advantage of your own talent pool before looking outwards.
    *Also, organize a company mission and encourage employees to rally behind it. It seems like everyone has their own agenda and solely focuses on fulfilling that. Change that.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review! We have put a number of programs, such as Everwise, in place to help develop our managers. We have also updated our mission and values and are spending time on a key value in... More

"OpenTable"

Pros

You get to work on a number of different applications, servers and routers. They were also rolling out an iPad application that is taking over the client server application

Cons

Hours were not the best for me, mostly late night work. Most of the people who you deal with are non technical so you have to hold everyones hand in getting their issues dealt with.

"Good could be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and the industry space is exciting. The general population is hard working, super fun and great to work with. There is a good effort to promote from within. There is a lot of passion about the industry. People like to hang out together outside of work.

Cons

New CEO is getting things done, but with collateral damage. There has been a lot of turnover at the senior levels. The CEO looks for people to agree with her doesn’t always back her leaders. There is overt favoritism.

Advice to Management

Great products, fun teams and a good group of people who love what they do. Be willing to hear out people with different points of view and don’t talk about people behind their backs.

"Lots of potential. Stuck in mediocrity."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Interesting vertical (who doesn't want to work with restaurants)
    - Fun work that can be rewarding
    - No real competitive threats
    - Good trifecta of CEO - CFO - CTO
    - Location of HQ is great
    - Lots of Priceline cash means projects get funded
    - Lots of cool people

Cons

- Weak senior management under the CXO position
    - CEO is solid, but has surrounded herself with yes men and women
    - Sales runs the show = not a ton of vision more than a quarter out
    - Not a lot of appetite for risk
    - Internal politics can be crazy
    - Internal talent development is nearly non-existent

Advice to Management

- If you hire smart people let them do what you hired them for, otherwise the exodus of talent will continue.
    - Start developing your own talent. It doesn't set a good precedent for the rest of the company that you constantly look for silver bullets from the outside.

Sep 13, 2016 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experiences at OpenTable. We value the input from employees like yourself. Please reach out to your HR Business Partner if you wish to further... More