OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • the work/life balance here has been fantastic (in 31 reviews)

• Brilliant product, great culture, great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 11 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

1. "SWE Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at OpenTable as an intern

Pros

Great people
    Work life balance
    A lot of freedom to do interesting projects

Cons

No free lunch
    Sometimes not enough hands in the company

2. "Marketing Contractor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at OpenTable as a contractor

Pros

Fun, friendly team with a lot of opportunity to grow and influence.

Cons

There are a lot of layers of management so it can be slow getting things pushed through.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Awesome culture and people, everyone is knowledge and friendly.

Cons

IT job but with a call center pay.

"Great experience overall but no career path and duties have become stale."

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I really had an amazing experience working at Opentable. I have worked in the field and remotely. The company is truly the most flexible company I've worked for, amazing work life balance, and the comp/benefits are competitive. I always felt I had the resources I needed to succeed. Direct leadership has always been supportive and never felt micromanaged. The best part of Opentable is the employees. Some of the most supportive, collaborative, and encouraging people I've met.

Cons

I started having issues with Opentable when the company reorganized their field operations program. I was in the field but decided to move to a remote role when the company reorganized, and when doing so I definitely pigeon holed myself with no optimistic career path. The company is focusing their remote central queue in Denver and so if you do not live there it will be difficult to move up in the organization.

Another qualm I have is that when I became a remote employee, I feel as though I was restricted to duties that just became super repetitive and unfulfilling. Before the org change, I felt empowered in my position,felt I had variety, and was able to work cross functionally. I have spoken with many of my coworkers who voice similar issues with the dullness of our job duties. Its hard to stay motivated and excited when you do the same thing over and over again day after day.

I think it is telling that when I started at OT over 2 years ago the Glassdoor rating was around 4.3 and now we are sitting at 3.8. Although my overall experience is positive, I left because I was unsure of Opentable's future, the work I was doing was dull, and I felt like they were not as invested in my career as they could be.

Advice to Management

Look at some of the remote employee's duties and see if there are ways to keep it fulfilling. Continue to take value in your employees and stay invested in their individual career path.

"Good Balance but lack of opportunies"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, cool offices and fun.

Cons

No career path or mentoring programs for employees who are not already managers

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

We are putting a number of programs in place, such as a continuous feedback tool to ensure we're properly assessing and progressing our employees according to their career aspirations. We look... More

"Good Intentions - Bad Follow Through"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best work/life balance I've ever had. The culture is fantastic, though geared more towards extroverted millennial types. The work itself is not boring and makes you use your brain. I love everyone I work with. Very little office drama (easy to stay out of some of the whispers of drama). Direct supervisors do not act above you and are always happily available. Generous PTO, constant lunch catering, good insurance, EcoPass, monthly team budget.

Cons

The pay. We get paid for customer support when in reality there is a large amount of troubleshooting/tech support. New feelings of being micro-managed are felt across all teams on the floor. We were promised things in training that all employees agreed were promised that now HR and upper management claim were never said. Upper management feels generally unapproachable, clique-y and judgmental. These are common opinions of myself and the workers we have left. We lost about 15 people in a little over a month out of an already small, understaffed support team. And we have at least 15 more actively looking for new employment.

Advice to Management

You started off "Project Boomerang" with what I'm sure were good intentions. Now, you are losing the people that were willing to buy into the vision because of silly, easily fixable things. Do something to boost morale. We all feel worn down and drained because of call volume and now constant micro managing, do something to negate that.
    PAY US MORE. We're not asking for a ridiculous huge raise but you are paying what we could leave and get paid for a much easier, more well established job. Your pay is not competitive, it's insulting. Especially considering that we're now barely above minimum wage even compared to the differential of last year.
    Look within yourselves to see what you are doing to hurt the team instead of putting that on your supervisors when they are realistically the only reason your agents are staying. We all love each other for the most part and feel like we can communicate within supervisors and agents and feel alienated from upper management. Having 1 day ever where management made an effort to communicate with us is not going to get your relationships with us to where you want them to be. Make more effort. Come say hi to us. Ask about how the vacation was, how the kids/pets are doing, simply how are day is with genuine effort. When you are so far above and detached from your staff, it will be up to you to make that effort. I hope that you take this feedback seriously- it is coming from more than just 1 person. You will lose your good, tenured people that care if you don't start showing you care more.

"Great Place to be!"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management, culture and fringe benefits. I feel like once we get past the newness of starting up that this place will be perfect.

Cons

Volumes have been far too much for current staffing. The transition did not go smoothly, but it sounds like improvement is on the horizon.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Jun 29, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback and your patience as we grow our customer support office. Building out the team like this will always have its growing pains so we appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

"Awesome company culture, mediocre pay"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cool people
    -Relaxed environment
    -Schedule flexibility
    -Beautiful office
    -Open communication
    -Learning interesting and relevant technical skills

Cons

-Training program is still a work-in-progress
    -Company is new so many policies changing and things not set in stone
    -Pay isn't great for the amount of skills we are expected to know and knowledge we are expected to have (being paid as customer support, when in reality we are TECH! should be paid for both!)

Advice to Management

Call volumes are super high and customers are frustrated, additionally we are expected to know a LOT of information (which is fun but taxing to learn!), so I would consider offering bigger pay incentives.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate the time you took to leave us feedback. Employee training is always a top priority and we are continuing to refine the process in the contact center as it grows. We work hard to make our... More

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good. 4 weeks of PTO. They make sure to have enough snacks to feed everyone. The vibe is different than other call centers, it is upbeat and cheerful environment. Company paid Eco pass. Brand new location.

Cons

Because we are a brand new call center, not all of the details are worked out right now. We are a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Keep being Awesome! Really, Keep being approachable.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate the feedback and happy to hear that you enjoy the culture! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

10. "Fun, vibrant, goal oriented"

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Any office you visit, be it the Denver or the San Francisco, they embrace company culture. They have fun, make sure their employees are taken care, and get the job done, no matter how many rules you gotta bend. Not micro managers, don't do your job, we'll talk to you about it, but other wise, they're a trusting company to employees. Here to stay for a long time, frequent raises and lots of room for advancement.

Cons

It's a hard hitting business. There's a lot of stuff to do, not your typical desk job, you're gonna be here and you're gonna work (bad to some people i suppose)

Advice to Management

Gotta do your time with before you move up, maybe search into resumes a little bit more and see where you better utilize employees according to their strengths

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Our company culture is what makes us OpenTable so it’s wonderful to hear you are feeling the love! We appreciate your insights into our performance management philosophy. Thanks!