OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 27 reviews)

• Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. "OpenTable allows me to have a job I love doing day in and day out."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people, talent, experience, and challenges make for a great work environment. You can get as much out of your role as you put in........

Cons

Due to the size of the company and limited work locations, there might be some challenges for some people regarding advancement (i.e. moving to San Francisco).

Advice to Management

I am very proud of the management team in place and I trust their judgment and actions in running the day to day business. They have made progress in hearing what employees have to say, so hopefully they maintain that in the years to come.

2. "Great working environment"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OpenTable offers a great work/life balance. The company also hires wonderful people who are a joy to work with. I've never felt so valued as I have at this company.

Cons

They are a bit behind on pay however that has been improving over the past year or two. The company also tends to move more slowly than what is needed to keep up with their competition. Hopefully that will improve as well.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to take care of our existing customers as well as to create cloud-based technology that blows away the competition.

"As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

Cons

Teams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Awesome company to work for"

Pros

Great people, constant innovation, awesome office

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

"Great changes this year"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the last 12 months. We're changing everything about how we build software, for the better IMO. It came at the right time for me, I'm being challenged much more than I used to be.

While not perfect, engineering concerns now take a much higher priority than before. We're moving away from a .net walled garden to a multi-platform distributed stack - some node.js, rails, also java in addition to C#. Also getting our build & deploy house in order, working towards continuous delivery.

Cons

Change doesn't come easy, I guess. We seem to make progress in waves, but still get held up with manual processes, particularly in ops. But it is getting better. Puppet and Chef are starting to make life easier there.

Advice to Management

Overall things are going well. I'd say they should put more consistent energy in these changes.

"The best place I have ever worked !"

Pros

Amazing company culture. They care about their employees. They care about their customers. What else could you ask for?

Cons

I can't think of one thing to complain about. I left the company for personal reasons.

"Great place to work and headed in a great direction"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

"Very positive experience during my 3+ years there. Cares deeply about their employees, product, and clients."

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at OT. A lot of great people to work with. I feel very strongly about the stability of OpenTable. Beautiful office in a great location for arriving, leaving, eating, drinking, and dining.

Cons

I can't name many cons. Compensation could be better, but I thought it was fair. There could be a little more transparent between departments.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

10. "great compayn"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company, great comp, and culture

Cons

very little room for promotion. growing pains

"Good work, good People and good times."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People - An intelligent and collaborative workforce that makes it enjoyable to come into work every day. Everyone does seem to respect one another professionally as well as personally; the people are genuinely nice. People also ask the right questions, and move forward on ideas accordingly (Decisions are thoughtout and most of the time are backed with data).
    The Location - Downtown San Francisco. Can't really beat where the HQ is, and the office space is welcoming.
    The Happy Hours - Creatively themed and a lot of fun. Not overproduced (nor a waste of dollars) these events typically are centered around the employees. Most notable have been Halloween, Kentucky Derby with employees riding large toy horses around the office, St. Patricks Day and then the impromptu happy hours that happen out of thin air and typically include people from various departments.
    Base salary is competitive and the RSUs add a nice touch. Happy with the benefits too.
    Seems to be a time for opportunity and growth for the business and me as an employee. I'm excited for the growth of the product.

Cons

At times I feel like the work hours can be a little long in comparison to my friends that work at other companies in the Bay Area but in all honesty I think this could also be a result of me not feeling the need to rush out of the office right at 5pm. (The hours are better than east coast NYC hours)
    401K match seems slightly low but the RSUs make up for it.

Advice to Management

There seems to have been a very positive shift for the company over the past year or so. This began prior to the Priceline acquisition, and has continued onward. I'm hopeful that management stays this course, and continues to create and drive innovative features for our products.