OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • the work/life balance here has been fantastic (in 33 reviews)

• Brilliant product, great culture, great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

• Weak senior management under the CXO position (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The culture here is very collaborative and mission driven. It feels like everyone is bought into the vision of the company, which makes it easy to come into work everyday and move the needle. This, to me, is evidenced by the tenure of much of the management and the quality of work that is done in many departments, especially product and engineering. Recently, the company has put a huge focus on culture and employee performance, which has been a breathe of fresh air to know that good work equates to career growth and rewards.

Cons

For a company that focuses on food and dining, some more perks to that end would feel more appropriate (but I guess not necessary). I would have more here but the company has been proactive about addressing issues and mine have been.

Advice to Management

Let's leverage our value of hospitality and ingrain it more deeply into our culture. More company events/activities/initiatives that bring different departments together.

OpenTable Response

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We do our best to cultivate a collaborative environment to allow our employees to thrive and are happy to hear this. We appreciate the feedback on our... More

2. "OpenTable allows me to have a job I love doing day in and day out."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people, talent, experience, and challenges make for a great work environment. You can get as much out of your role as you put in........

Cons

Due to the size of the company and limited work locations, there might be some challenges for some people regarding advancement (i.e. moving to San Francisco).

Advice to Management

I am very proud of the management team in place and I trust their judgment and actions in running the day to day business. They have made progress in hearing what employees have to say, so hopefully they maintain that in the years to come.

3. "Great working environment"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OpenTable offers a great work/life balance. The company also hires wonderful people who are a joy to work with. I've never felt so valued as I have at this company.

Cons

They are a bit behind on pay however that has been improving over the past year or two. The company also tends to move more slowly than what is needed to keep up with their competition. Hopefully that will improve as well.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to take care of our existing customers as well as to create cloud-based technology that blows away the competition.

"As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

Cons

Teams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Awesome company to work for"

Pros

Great people, constant innovation, awesome office

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

"Great changes this year"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the last 12 months. We're changing everything about how we build software, for the better IMO. It came at the right time for me, I'm being challenged much more than I used to be.

While not perfect, engineering concerns now take a much higher priority than before. We're moving away from a .net walled garden to a multi-platform distributed stack - some node.js, rails, also java in addition to C#. Also getting our build & deploy house in order, working towards continuous delivery.

Cons

Change doesn't come easy, I guess. We seem to make progress in waves, but still get held up with manual processes, particularly in ops. But it is getting better. Puppet and Chef are starting to make life easier there.

Advice to Management

Overall things are going well. I'd say they should put more consistent energy in these changes.

"The best place I have ever worked !"

Pros

Amazing company culture. They care about their employees. They care about their customers. What else could you ask for?

Cons

I can't think of one thing to complain about. I left the company for personal reasons.

"Great place to work and headed in a great direction"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is becoming a more agile, faster moving technology company. Beautiful modern, open office space. Fun, open, collaborative culture. Big vision of rethinking the entire dining experience (not just reservations). Great work/life balance and lots of flexibility on work schedule and location.

Cons

Still in somewhat of a transition period from the older parts of the company to the newer, faster moving culture.

"Very positive experience during my 3+ years there. Cares deeply about their employees, product, and clients."

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at OT. A lot of great people to work with. I feel very strongly about the stability of OpenTable. Beautiful office in a great location for arriving, leaving, eating, drinking, and dining.

Cons

I can't name many cons. Compensation could be better, but I thought it was fair. There could be a little more transparent between departments.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

10. "great compayn"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company, great comp, and culture

Cons

very little room for promotion. growing pains