OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Pros
  • Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area (in 21 reviews)

• A lot of companies boast "great culture" but OpenTable really delivers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Grab a seat at the table!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at OpenTable for several years now, and it has been a real privilege to be a part of the growth this company has achieved in that time. Beyond our amazing products for restaurants and diners, what makes OpenTable special is the people. We are absolutely a company of foodies who work hard and eat well -- often at the same time. There's always someone to grab lunch with, terrific healthful snacks for employees, and treats from colleagues' latest travels on Steakman's (Yes, we have a bar in our marketing department!). There's a new focus on professional development and there are always opportunities to broaden your skill set if you're willing to take on new challenges. Management puts a true emphasis on work-life balance, and the company regularly celebrates team and individual accomplishments. Volunteering is important as the company values giving back -- and those outings are typically followed by great food and drink! There's a great deal of transparency around company goals, which I appreciate. And, as a diner and former restaurant professional, I really love the service and the product so it's incredibly cool to work for a brand you actually believe in.

Cons

The growth we've achieved has definitely been accompanied by changes, and they haven't always been effortless to navigate -- when you staff up dramatically, for example, it can be hard to establish solid career paths. However, we have a super charged-up CEO who is really dialed in to those challenges and a solid P+C team, so I think we're moving in an exciting direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively listen to team members.

"Engineers receive no recognition or reward"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting work, conveniently located. That's about where it ends.

Cons

Are you an engineer? Are you looking to use your talents to build great products, and receive recognition and reward for your hard work? Then you'd better look elsewhere. Go to Google, Facebook, or countless other technology companies which value their engineers. These
    are fundamentally technology driven companies, OpenTable is a sales/marketing driven organization. Engineers are simply cogs in the wheel, and are easily replaceable in the eyes of management.

They just don't do performance-based compensation at all. Sure, management has received about $20 million each in stock option based compensation, but the rules are different for everyone else within the company. Even for the engineers who actually create the product that is making management so extraordinarily wealthy.

There is no individual recognition whatsoever, unless you make a mistake which costs the company money. Then they will hold an all hands meeting to place blame on the engineer who made the mistake. If you create a product which generates millions in revenue, not a word is said. There is no bonus structure at all. Work as hard as you possibly can, still no bonus. There is absolutely no incentive at all for hard work within this organization. You work your butt off and management gets rich, that's pretty much how it works around here.

There is no opportunity to advance within the Engineering department either. All the team leads have been there 6+ years and aren't going anywhere. Promotions and even recognition are not lacking in any other department within the company, but they are an extreme rarity within Engineering.

I want to reiterate to any talented engineers out there -- if you want to see your talents appreciated and rewarded, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Follow the example of so many other technology companies -- ie Google, Facebook, Microsoft. Reward your top talent. Create a bonus incentive for performance. Give recognition to employees who deserve it. Stop giving the company's money away to management in the form of massive stock option grants, investors and the media are starting to take notice. It's really becoming excessive.

"Potentially great company if you don't consider engineering management"

Former Employee - Engineering Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Lead in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* Location is good - close to BART
    * The stock was high - it could go there again
    * They don't seem to care if you don't work long hours
    * Most of the employees are cool and competent
    * The company has a great market niche

Cons

* The engineering VP rules by fear
    * One of the engineering directors is the most inaccurate yet condescending person you will ever meet (i.e. he is frequently wrong but talks down to you even when you are right - it's quite amazing)
    * You won't be trusted to think and do a your job without being micromanaged
    * Favoritism is frequent and out of control
    * You will be sacrificed to 'the bus' and demoted if a manager needs to lay blame on someone else (even if said manager was micromanaging you)
    * The technology is about 10 years behind current times and no one in management is in a hurry to change that

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your engineering management. Talk with the employees... people are unhappy and your engineering department is on a collision course with disaster. It's not too late to fix this but it's getting there. I'd suggest firing the top two (maybe three) tiers of engineering management and bringing someone in from outside that can get things done the right way. You have capable engineers and they aren't being given a chance to do great things for you.

"Sales is old and out of touch"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic co-workers, lots of great talent across most departments
    - Decent benefits
    - Potential to travel for the job

Cons

- Culture is very stiff. This is by no means a hip tech company. They work at this though.
    - Old technology. Staff laptops for sales are cheap PCs and old iPads (no 3G/4G). Technology is pretty dated on the customer side as well, the only thing that keeps the company at the top of the market is its network of users and restaurants.
    - Constant change. Within a few months of bringing me on they essentially decided to restructure the sales org. Bonuses were slashed and the commission structure was changed for the worse.

Advice to Management

- Innovate, do something new and don't take so long to roll it out.
    - Decide what you are going to do and stick to it.

"Don't believe all the FAKE positive reviews!"

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office, employees and location.

Cons

Seriously, HR needs to stop cohercing people to write positive reviews so that our GD average increases! Don't believe the positive reviews guys! OpenTable WAS a fun place, and rewarding place to work but that's been decimated 2 years ago. The leaders of the company are clueless and there's no strong leadership to take this company to the next level, given the strong competition in the space.

Advice to Management

HR partners listen to the employees and take action! Everyone is really unhappy so please take action!

"A highly toxic environment - the blind leading the blind"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Some great talent, some great people amongst the rotten apples

Cons

Cliquey & a highly toxic environment, where people get thrown under a bus, often by both management and colleagues. Collaboration is highly lacking between all sites and is more like dog eat dog. Underhand, playground turf wars, agendas and bullying tactics are common.

I was pushed by management to not work in a collaborative fashion and often got reprimanded when I tried to and told that it makes me look weak.

I was openly bullied, and humiliated when I first started by a colleague and it was ignored by management when I raised it subtly.

When I left I was openly bullied by colleagues and management

Both management and employees have different standards for 'their own' employees/colleagues.

There is a severe lack of transparency, communication, training, and morale, OpenTable is a bit of a mirage.

They don't really know what they are doing as a company or as individual sites/ dept/ teams.
    It often boils down to who shouts the loudest 'Jump' and that's when everyone will jump.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the priceline group, you are going to need it.

8. "It seems only fun to work in HQ office, but not in international office"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex hours, good commissions and compensations, RSU, easy job,
    You get to be invited to fun global conference if you achieve yearly target.

Cons

Management seems to only care about HQ and not adapting to local needs.
    Company got too big and it moves very slow. Slow release cycle is damaging the business while local competitors are moving fast and growing.
    Job is very easy, easy tasks,,, it gets board and lose motivations.
    Slow management-decision making process

Advice to Management

Management directions needs to be cleared and have better communications with international offices.
    Understand local market, needs, competitors.
    Hire skilled people

"Half open table"

Current Employee - Something In the Creation Process in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Something In the Creation Process in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It is a fun place with. Plus you learn about the restaurants and Food is Fun.

Cons

No forward progress. It seemed that they would rather bring in outsiders rather than promote existing.

Advice to Management

TRUST your employees... Damit...

"Decent pay and benefits, but a very negative corporate culture makes this a very unattractive place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This is a technology company. For engineers the work can be interesting, and there is a decent amount of opportunity to learn new technologies, though management is generally resistant to incorporating new technologies or ideas. These are not "early adopters" by any means, until about a year ago they were still using SQL Server 2000. (This was in 2010)

Cons

Very unhealthy corporate culture. Senior management recently awarded themselves a second round of stock options equivalent to five times (500%) the industry standard for executive stock option compensation for 2010. They then used those same 'industry standards' to cap all employee salary increases to 3% or less for the year. They then cashed out nearly all of those options they had just awarded themselves. They are almost all completely divested of the company at this point. One wonders if this is simply a strategy to get yet another options award to keep management incentivised.

There is little to no formal recognition of engineers who create the products that are making these managers into multi-millionaires. There is an immense amount of anger in Engineering towards management, which may explain why we haven't seen the VP of Engineering in nearly six months.

Advice to Management

Meritocracy. Look it up. Reward your employees who contribute disproportionately to the products which make this company money. Communicate with your staff. Stop being secretive. Stop treating the company as your own personal cash cow.

"Stuffy, Anti-Creative Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent earning potential, great base, great commission opportunities
    Advancement opportunities, they do promote from within
    Very competitive benefits and time-off package

Cons

I was in sales as an account executive.

This was the worst job of my life. I have worked for several tech companies (from start-ups to Fortune 500's); and with the exception of Opentable, they were all truly amazing experiences.

OpenTable claims to hire "challengers", but the people they actually hire are just plain rude. They're motto "If you're not being thrown out of a meeting at least once a week, you're not doing it right". While this type of attitude may work in some markets, it does not work in all parts of the country, sales styles need to be adjusted to to the corresponding market and to the person or people to whom you are presenting.

The company pits salespeople against each other. Healthy competition is a great thing in sales, but this is not what OpenTable does. They encourage sales people to say negative things about one another. This information then goes into the employee's file, to be used against them if necessary in the firing process.

Be prepared to hit your goals or be fired within 60 days. Period. They rule by fear and as opposed to working with team members to help them reach their full potential, OpenTable is very quick to fire.

Fortunately, I was not fired. I put in my year and got out as soon as I could.

Advice to Management

Allow your sales team to use their creative, analytical and decision making skills to sell. You hired them because they have a proven track record of being top performers. Let them sell. And take that stick out of your butts.