OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 29 reviews)

• Brilliant product, great culture, great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The culture here is very collaborative and mission driven. It feels like everyone is bought into the vision of the company, which makes it easy to come into work everyday and move the needle. This, to me, is evidenced by the tenure of much of the management and the quality of work that is done in many departments, especially product and engineering. Recently, the company has put a huge focus on culture and employee performance, which has been a breathe of fresh air to know that good work equates to career growth and rewards.

Cons

For a company that focuses on food and dining, some more perks to that end would feel more appropriate (but I guess not necessary). I would have more here but the company has been proactive about addressing issues and mine have been.

Advice to Management

Let's leverage our value of hospitality and ingrain it more deeply into our culture. More company events/activities/initiatives that bring different departments together.

OpenTable Response

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We do our best to cultivate a collaborative environment to allow our employees to thrive and are happy to hear this. We appreciate the feedback on our... More

"Engineers receive no recognition or reward"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting work, conveniently located. That's about where it ends.

Cons

Are you an engineer? Are you looking to use your talents to build great products, and receive recognition and reward for your hard work? Then you'd better look elsewhere. Go to Google, Facebook, or countless other technology companies which value their engineers. These
    are fundamentally technology driven companies, OpenTable is a sales/marketing driven organization. Engineers are simply cogs in the wheel, and are easily replaceable in the eyes of management.

They just don't do performance-based compensation at all. Sure, management has received about $20 million each in stock option based compensation, but the rules are different for everyone else within the company. Even for the engineers who actually create the product that is making management so extraordinarily wealthy.

There is no individual recognition whatsoever, unless you make a mistake which costs the company money. Then they will hold an all hands meeting to place blame on the engineer who made the mistake. If you create a product which generates millions in revenue, not a word is said. There is no bonus structure at all. Work as hard as you possibly can, still no bonus. There is absolutely no incentive at all for hard work within this organization. You work your butt off and management gets rich, that's pretty much how it works around here.

There is no opportunity to advance within the Engineering department either. All the team leads have been there 6+ years and aren't going anywhere. Promotions and even recognition are not lacking in any other department within the company, but they are an extreme rarity within Engineering.

I want to reiterate to any talented engineers out there -- if you want to see your talents appreciated and rewarded, you are better off looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Follow the example of so many other technology companies -- ie Google, Facebook, Microsoft. Reward your top talent. Create a bonus incentive for performance. Give recognition to employees who deserve it. Stop giving the company's money away to management in the form of massive stock option grants, investors and the media are starting to take notice. It's really becoming excessive.

"Potentially great company if you don't consider engineering management"

Former Employee - Engineering Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Lead in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* Location is good - close to BART
    * The stock was high - it could go there again
    * They don't seem to care if you don't work long hours
    * Most of the employees are cool and competent
    * The company has a great market niche

Cons

* The engineering VP rules by fear
    * One of the engineering directors is the most inaccurate yet condescending person you will ever meet (i.e. he is frequently wrong but talks down to you even when you are right - it's quite amazing)
    * You won't be trusted to think and do a your job without being micromanaged
    * Favoritism is frequent and out of control
    * You will be sacrificed to 'the bus' and demoted if a manager needs to lay blame on someone else (even if said manager was micromanaging you)
    * The technology is about 10 years behind current times and no one in management is in a hurry to change that

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your engineering management. Talk with the employees... people are unhappy and your engineering department is on a collision course with disaster. It's not too late to fix this but it's getting there. I'd suggest firing the top two (maybe three) tiers of engineering management and bringing someone in from outside that can get things done the right way. You have capable engineers and they aren't being given a chance to do great things for you.

"Sales is old and out of touch"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic co-workers, lots of great talent across most departments
    - Decent benefits
    - Potential to travel for the job

Cons

- Culture is very stiff. This is by no means a hip tech company. They work at this though.
    - Old technology. Staff laptops for sales are cheap PCs and old iPads (no 3G/4G). Technology is pretty dated on the customer side as well, the only thing that keeps the company at the top of the market is its network of users and restaurants.
    - Constant change. Within a few months of bringing me on they essentially decided to restructure the sales org. Bonuses were slashed and the commission structure was changed for the worse.

Advice to Management

- Innovate, do something new and don't take so long to roll it out.
    - Decide what you are going to do and stick to it.

"Hands down WORST place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people/employees and the pool table

Cons

Leadership team has no clue on how to steer this ship and has no clear tangible goals. HR team that turns a blind eye as to why there's so much churn in the company. No one really cares to dig deep into the problems but rather believes everyone is replaceable. Absolutely NO career growth and if you don't leave you'll die here like the dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Provide good leadership and hire good managers that are able to provide guidance to their employees. Too many goals to count but rather focus on one that matters and see it to the end.

OpenTable Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We’re open to feedback, so if you wish to express any specific ideas on how we could improve, please reach out to your former HR Business Partner... More

"Sad place to work."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work space and snacks.
    They provide an RTD Eco pass

Cons

Disorganized, LOW pay because they re-branded the position as Customer Service Rep instead of Technical Service Rep. This IS a Tech position! Supervisors don't know what they're doing (except two who came from the previous outsourced provider). Incompetent management. UNDER STAFFED!

Advice to Management

Admit you're under paying employees. No more 1 on 1's, until we can have 1 on 1's with each member of management. Clearly, you're failing at your job and we need you to take it seriously.

"Very Poor Management"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Live/Work balance seems to be good on most teams.

Cons

I am continually shocked by how bad management is at the company. Working on a team that often utilizes freelancers and contractors, I am embarrassed at how long it takes for those individuals to be paid the money they were promised, over 7 months in some cases. The management and HR teams seem to move particularly slow in matters like this. The company claims the usual platitudes of "moving fast" being "thought leaders" but the reality is that the petty ego-wars that middle management wage against each other keep anything interesting from actually happening at OpenTable.

Advice to Management

There are some talented employees left at the company, although many have left and probably will continue to. Please put your issues aside and support a system in which your employees can thrive.

"A highly toxic environment - the blind leading the blind"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Some great talent, some great people amongst the rotten apples

Cons

Cliquey & a highly toxic environment, where people get thrown under a bus, often by both management and colleagues. Collaboration is highly lacking between all sites and is more like dog eat dog. Underhand, playground turf wars, agendas and bullying tactics are common.

I was pushed by management to not work in a collaborative fashion and often got reprimanded when I tried to and told that it makes me look weak.

I was openly bullied, and humiliated when I first started by a colleague and it was ignored by management when I raised it subtly.

When I left I was openly bullied by colleagues and management

Both management and employees have different standards for 'their own' employees/colleagues.

There is a severe lack of transparency, communication, training, and morale, OpenTable is a bit of a mirage.

They don't really know what they are doing as a company or as individual sites/ dept/ teams.
    It often boils down to who shouts the loudest 'Jump' and that's when everyone will jump.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the priceline group, you are going to need it.

9. "It seems only fun to work in HQ office, but not in international office"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex hours, good commissions and compensations, RSU, easy job,
    You get to be invited to fun global conference if you achieve yearly target.

Cons

Management seems to only care about HQ and not adapting to local needs.
    Company got too big and it moves very slow. Slow release cycle is damaging the business while local competitors are moving fast and growing.
    Job is very easy, easy tasks,,, it gets board and lose motivations.
    Slow management-decision making process

Advice to Management

Management directions needs to be cleared and have better communications with international offices.
    Understand local market, needs, competitors.
    Hire skilled people

10. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is probably the only good thing!

Cons

Awful place and a horrible culture.
    HR - possibly the rudest and most unprofessional people you'll ever meet.
    Stay away!