OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 29 reviews)

• Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The culture here is very collaborative and mission driven. It feels like everyone is bought into the vision of the company, which makes it easy to come into work everyday and move the needle. This, to me, is evidenced by the tenure of much of the management and the quality of work that is done in many departments, especially product and engineering. Recently, the company has put a huge focus on culture and employee performance, which has been a breathe of fresh air to know that good work equates to career growth and rewards.

Cons

For a company that focuses on food and dining, some more perks to that end would feel more appropriate (but I guess not necessary). I would have more here but the company has been proactive about addressing issues and mine have been.

Advice to Management

Let's leverage our value of hospitality and ingrain it more deeply into our culture. More company events/activities/initiatives that bring different departments together.

OpenTable Response

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We do our best to cultivate a collaborative environment to allow our employees to thrive and are happy to hear this. We appreciate the feedback on our... More

2. "Project Coordinator"

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Fun, fast paced environment, and great office location

Cons

Employee benefits below industry standard, general "clique-y" attitude amongst employees

Advice to Management

Amp up employee benefits

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Awesome culture and people, everyone is knowledge and friendly.

Cons

IT job but with a call center pay.

4. "At Least The Coworkers Are Great"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers(supervisors/agents), health insurance(ish), free snacks, pool table, valuable knowledge from tier 2 agents.

Cons

The pay is far lower than what it should be, the term "customer support representative" was an inaccurate title of what the job really is, senior management is cliquey (including HR), email agents get paid the same amount as phone agents (now THOSE are customer support representatives), a lot of promises not fully kept, high turnover rate which makes things increasingly difficult when this company hasn't even got its feet on the ground for in-house support, and the trainer is not familiar with technical processes (just learned training classes are taught incorrect troubleshooting steps for one of the connection issues).

Advice to Management

Title the job for what it is, promote those who deserve to be promoted, brush up your trainer, stop being petty (you're not really in a place to be), recognize those who are carrying heavier work loads (even if its just a thank you occasionally).

"Great experience overall but no career path and duties have become stale."

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I really had an amazing experience working at Opentable. I have worked in the field and remotely. The company is truly the most flexible company I've worked for, amazing work life balance, and the comp/benefits are competitive. I always felt I had the resources I needed to succeed. Direct leadership has always been supportive and never felt micromanaged. The best part of Opentable is the employees. Some of the most supportive, collaborative, and encouraging people I've met.

Cons

I started having issues with Opentable when the company reorganized their field operations program. I was in the field but decided to move to a remote role when the company reorganized, and when doing so I definitely pigeon holed myself with no optimistic career path. The company is focusing their remote central queue in Denver and so if you do not live there it will be difficult to move up in the organization.

Another qualm I have is that when I became a remote employee, I feel as though I was restricted to duties that just became super repetitive and unfulfilling. Before the org change, I felt empowered in my position,felt I had variety, and was able to work cross functionally. I have spoken with many of my coworkers who voice similar issues with the dullness of our job duties. Its hard to stay motivated and excited when you do the same thing over and over again day after day.

I think it is telling that when I started at OT over 2 years ago the Glassdoor rating was around 4.3 and now we are sitting at 3.8. Although my overall experience is positive, I left because I was unsure of Opentable's future, the work I was doing was dull, and I felt like they were not as invested in my career as they could be.

Advice to Management

Look at some of the remote employee's duties and see if there are ways to keep it fulfilling. Continue to take value in your employees and stay invested in their individual career path.

"Good Balance but lack of opportunies"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, cool offices and fun.

Cons

No career path or mentoring programs for employees who are not already managers

7. "An absolute dream"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management empowers agents, giving flexibility to completely resolve callers' issues.
    Fully stocked refridgerator/snacks and meals provided fairly often
    Opportunities provided for those who earn it.
    Incredibly knowledgeable staff, with patience to match it for agents who may have needed some more experience troubleshooting before working for OpenTable.

Cons

Salary is low for responsibilities given.
    Insurance feels lackluster for a company with this much clout.
    The same can be said about additional perks, they tout the "start up experience" in job postings, but the only "start up"-like perk I noticed was the free snacks and flexibility.

Advice to Management

A lot of decisions feel like they weren't thought out all of the way, and it is very apparent to your staff including the supervisory level. They didn't mention anything specifically, but appear to be on their toes while stating otherwise.
    Email agents also seem to be a second thought, and everything is the other way around. Agents churning out more than 20 emails on hour are not doing them properly and the ones doing less than that are rectifying the mistakes of the former.
    I absolutely loved working here and would do it again given the chance, but I would want to wait until things are a little more settled and the salary matches the complexity of the position.
    I wish this advice could be more specific, but find a way to inject some enthusiasm into everyone. For as much positivity that was felt at the beginning of my tenure, it has diminished greatly and I know the floor as a whole has so much potential if you can reapproach that level of endearment for the company.

8. "Great people"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Nice office, good people, positive environment

Cons

Some managers are too protected from their own failures

9. "Great Place to be!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management, culture and fringe benefits. I feel like once we get past the newness of starting up that this place will be perfect.

Cons

Volumes have been far too much for current staffing. The transition did not go smoothly, but it sounds like improvement is on the horizon.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

OpenTable Response

Jun 29, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback and your patience as we grow our customer support office. Building out the team like this will always have its growing pains so we appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

"Good Intentions - Bad Follow Through"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best work/life balance I've ever had. The culture is fantastic, though geared more towards extroverted millennial types. The work itself is not boring and makes you use your brain. I love everyone I work with. Very little office drama (easy to stay out of some of the whispers of drama). Direct supervisors do not act above you and are always happily available. Generous PTO, constant lunch catering, good insurance, EcoPass, monthly team budget.

Cons

The pay. We get paid for customer support when in reality there is a large amount of troubleshooting/tech support. New feelings of being micro-managed are felt across all teams on the floor. We were promised things in training that all employees agreed were promised that now HR and upper management claim were never said. Upper management feels generally unapproachable, clique-y and judgmental. These are common opinions of myself and the workers we have left. We lost about 15 people in a little over a month out of an already small, understaffed support team. And we have at least 15 more actively looking for new employment.

Advice to Management

You started off "Project Boomerang" with what I'm sure were good intentions. Now, you are losing the people that were willing to buy into the vision because of silly, easily fixable things. Do something to boost morale. We all feel worn down and drained because of call volume and now constant micro managing, do something to negate that.
    PAY US MORE. We're not asking for a ridiculous huge raise but you are paying what we could leave and get paid for a much easier, more well established job. Your pay is not competitive, it's insulting. Especially considering that we're now barely above minimum wage even compared to the differential of last year.
    Look within yourselves to see what you are doing to hurt the team instead of putting that on your supervisors when they are realistically the only reason your agents are staying. We all love each other for the most part and feel like we can communicate within supervisors and agents and feel alienated from upper management. Having 1 day ever where management made an effort to communicate with us is not going to get your relationships with us to where you want them to be. Make more effort. Come say hi to us. Ask about how the vacation was, how the kids/pets are doing, simply how are day is with genuine effort. When you are so far above and detached from your staff, it will be up to you to make that effort. I hope that you take this feedback seriously- it is coming from more than just 1 person. You will lose your good, tenured people that care if you don't start showing you care more.