OpenTable Reviews | Glassdoor

OpenTable Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 27 reviews)

• Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good. 4 weeks of PTO. They make sure to have enough snacks to feed everyone. The vibe is different than other call centers, it is upbeat and cheerful environment. Company paid Eco pass. Brand new location.

Cons

Because we are a brand new call center, not all of the details are worked out right now. We are a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Keep being Awesome! Really, Keep being approachable.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate the feedback and happy to hear that you enjoy the culture! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

2. "Above-Average Call Center"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non-scripted, personable phone calls from a wide range of callers (Diners, Restaurant Owners, IT Staff, Etc). Plenty of resources available for help (Hipchat, Supervisors, Team-Structures). Wonderful new Denver building office with all the amenities. Less focus on speed, more focus on service behind call quality. This can become a very technical role, you will end up remote accessing into restaurant routers and configuring settings and doing port forwarding. Some general Tech Background would be highly beneficial.

Cons

Procedures and protocols for certain calls and situations seem to change often. Company just transitioned from 3rd party SRP to in-house support so queue times are longer than normal.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

I’m happy to hear that our contact center is representing our company’s value in hospitality! We’ve had lots of success in our contact center transition thus far but we’re always looking to improve ... More

"Clunky and disorganized but well intended"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Playful environment, good people, a true sense of comradery, attractive and modern office space, nice kitchen and lounge area. Good benefits and PTO program. I feel more valued here than I have at any other call center I've worked at and certainly more at my last job. There is minimal push to hit prefixed stats, so it's quality before quantity, which is refreshing.

Cons

Grossly underpaid for the level of technical expertise and vast and varied system knowledge required. The "top down" management style creates more problems than it can solve. Departments do not seem to be educated on what the others departments do. Some departments have no appreciation for the people (ie, look down upon) on the front line at the call center. Certain programs are just broken and need a make over. Only a couple of supervisors have experience with OpenTable, thus leaving the rest unable to support and up-train their team adequately. Likewise, training is provided by a good guy, but who has minimal exposure and experience with the products. The opportunities to excel in new endeavors or roles seem shrouded at best.

Advice to Management

Include your team on the changes made before making them and abandon the "top down" management style. Integrate the teams that are supposed to support and work with one another and have unified standards and expectations for all departments. Learn how to manage by what your team needs in order to be successful. Hire from within the team for advancement for supervisor and other lead roles. Pay your people what they are worth and for the complex, challenging work they do every day.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Your candor is invaluable to our growth and I appreciate your feedback. As we continue growing our Denver contact center, we aim to refine and improve our training programs to be as effective as ... More

"Fun, but weak middle management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- In general, smart, nice people
    - Good work/life balance
    - Fun vertical, interesting work
    - Great parties.
    - Lots of laughter

Cons

- Many of the management below the CxO layer is mediocre at best. No action taken on poor performing leaders. There is a tight circle of people who are the "in crowd" and they protect each other. I think the company could be performing much better if they had strong leadership at the Director+ level.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to be an inclusive culture and value strong leadership at OpenTable, and we are constantly working to improve. We have recently invited ... More

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance & fun product

Cons

Little process, feels like high school all over again.

"Great culture, Great Benefits, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome office, not your typical call-center feel

Cons

drastically understaffed, need a better, more hands-on training program

Advice to Management

it's hard to live on the salary paid to CSR's, especially given the amount of connectivitey knowledge required. Pay your people!

"Sad place to work."

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work space and snacks.
    They provide an RTD Eco pass

Cons

Disorganized, LOW pay because they re-branded the position as Customer Service Rep instead of Technical Service Rep. This IS a Tech position! Supervisors don't know what they're doing (except two who came from the previous outsourced provider). Incompetent management. UNDER STAFFED!

Advice to Management

Admit you're under paying employees. No more 1 on 1's, until we can have 1 on 1's with each member of management. Clearly, you're failing at your job and we need you to take it seriously.

"Not the best, not the worst"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area
    *Relatively interesting industry
    *Fantastically innovative marketing department
    *Great happy hours/parties
    *Most employees are delightful

Cons

*Extremely political. The person with the loudest voice usually gets their way
    *No career progresion or training opportunities
    *Low pay relative to the bay area

Advice to Management

*Start investing in your employees. There are some seriously talented employees just itching for career progression and education. Take advantage of your own talent pool before looking outwards.
    *Also, organize a company mission and encourage employees to rally behind it. It seems like everyone has their own agenda and solely focuses on fulfilling that. Change that.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review! We have put a number of programs, such as Everwise, in place to help develop our managers. We have also updated our mission and values and are spending time on a key value in ... More

"Hands down WORST place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people/employees and the pool table

Cons

Leadership team has no clue on how to steer this ship and has no clear tangible goals. HR team that turns a blind eye as to why there's so much churn in the company. No one really cares to dig deep into the problems but rather believes everyone is replaceable. Absolutely NO career growth and if you don't leave you'll die here like the dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Provide good leadership and hire good managers that are able to provide guidance to their employees. Too many goals to count but rather focus on one that matters and see it to the end.

Mar 13, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We’re open to feedback, so if you wish to express any specific ideas on how we could improve, please reach out to your former HR Business Partner ... More

"Fun Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work office, great culture, like-minded coworkers, great incentives and decent commission. Lots of vacation, can work from home sometimes too!

Cons

Not much room for growth, office cliques- very catty, if you don't fit in with culture you will not do well

Advice to Management

More business and career development. Director of the office needs some work- always biased and one sided.