OpenTable Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.7
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is the best work/life balance I've ever had (in 29 reviews)

• Great culture, work-life balance and awesome people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The 401k plan is pretty bleak in comparison to many other companies in the bay area (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

The culture here is very collaborative and mission driven. It feels like everyone is bought into the vision of the company, which makes it easy to come into work everyday and move the needle. This, to me, is evidenced by the tenure of much of the management and the quality of work that is done in many departments, especially product and engineering. Recently, the company has put a huge focus on culture and employee performance, which has been a breathe of fresh air to know that good work equates to career growth and rewards.

Cons

For a company that focuses on food and dining, some more perks to that end would feel more appropriate (but I guess not necessary). I would have more here but the company has been proactive about addressing issues and mine have been.

Advice to Management

Let's leverage our value of hospitality and ingrain it more deeply into our culture. More company events/activities/initiatives that bring different departments together.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We do our best to cultivate a collaborative environment to allow our employees to thrive and are happy to hear this. We appreciate the feedback on our... More

"Good Balance but lack of opportunies"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, cool offices and fun.

Cons

No career path or mentoring programs for employees who are not already managers

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work full of smart people that care about you as a person. As a recent college grad I was surprised with how much my opinion mattered in design decisions and this made me love my job even more.

Cons

Career path isn't as clear as it could be.

Jun 29, 2017 – CEO

I'm happy to hear you are having a great experience thus far! We do value that this is a place where many managers do personally care about their employees and I'm glad to see you can feel that. I... More

"Unstrategic, Inefficient Mess with Endless Unmet Potential"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OpenTable has such amazing potential to become a truly bigger part of dining out. There are endless ways to grow the business & opportunities to chase. There's never a shortage of ideas here or things to work on.

MOST people are kind & work/life balance is great. Location is convenient to public transport & food options. There's also lots of flowing booze & costumes if you're into that.

Cons

Unstrategic, unfocused, & inefficient - Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked on these attributes. We're desperately trying to prove our worth post-acquisition, doing too many things & doing all of them poorly. Unfocused strategy along with general inefficiency across the board = a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut-off.

Highly political, where who you knows & who you suck up to is rewarded. "Yes" people are favored over those that question. Directors & above only focus on managing upwards vs. inspiring & leading teams below. People subtly fight for more power, people, & budget, by spinning stories with data to meet their needs & self-interests, instead of putting the interests of others & the business first.

Lots of churn of great people leaving frustrated with the environment.

Advice to Management

Get more focused & efficient fast. Investigate sexism more closely.

"So much potential..."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly and approachable colleagues, competitive pay (engineering), work/life balance (office is empty after 6pm...quite RARE in San Francisco)

Cons

Company priorities are all over the place. Both the restaurant and consumer side teams are working on far too many projects with little understanding of how this helps the company grow our top line. What exactly are the benefits of being a part of Priceline outside of stock/equity grants?

Advice to Management

Lots of underutilized resources in marketing, engineering, product and business development. There is such a big focus on recruiting new talent, but no standard guidelines to existing employees on how to grow internally. Promotions and new assignments are also announced randomly and without proper justification.

"Fun, but weak middle management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- In general, smart, nice people
    - Good work/life balance
    - Fun vertical, interesting work
    - Great parties.
    - Lots of laughter

Cons

- Many of the management below the CxO layer is mediocre at best. No action taken on poor performing leaders. There is a tight circle of people who are the "in crowd" and they protect each other. I think the company could be performing much better if they had strong leadership at the Director+ level.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to be an inclusive culture and value strong leadership at OpenTable, and we are constantly working to improve. We have recently invited... More

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance & fun product

Cons

Little process, feels like high school all over again.

"Not the best, not the worst"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area
    *Relatively interesting industry
    *Fantastically innovative marketing department
    *Great happy hours/parties
    *Most employees are delightful

Cons

*Extremely political. The person with the loudest voice usually gets their way
    *No career progresion or training opportunities
    *Low pay relative to the bay area

Advice to Management

*Start investing in your employees. There are some seriously talented employees just itching for career progression and education. Take advantage of your own talent pool before looking outwards.
    *Also, organize a company mission and encourage employees to rally behind it. It seems like everyone has their own agenda and solely focuses on fulfilling that. Change that.

May 19, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review! We have put a number of programs, such as Everwise, in place to help develop our managers. We have also updated our mission and values and are spending time on a key value in... More

"Hands down WORST place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people/employees and the pool table

Cons

Leadership team has no clue on how to steer this ship and has no clear tangible goals. HR team that turns a blind eye as to why there's so much churn in the company. No one really cares to dig deep into the problems but rather believes everyone is replaceable. Absolutely NO career growth and if you don't leave you'll die here like the dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Provide good leadership and hire good managers that are able to provide guidance to their employees. Too many goals to count but rather focus on one that matters and see it to the end.

Mar 13, 2017 – Human Resources Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We’re open to feedback, so if you wish to express any specific ideas on how we could improve, please reach out to your former HR Business Partner... More

"Good could be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and the industry space is exciting. The general population is hard working, super fun and great to work with. There is a good effort to promote from within. There is a lot of passion about the industry. People like to hang out together outside of work.

Cons

New CEO is getting things done, but with collateral damage. There has been a lot of turnover at the senior levels. The CEO looks for people to agree with her doesn’t always back her leaders. There is overt favoritism.

Advice to Management

Great products, fun teams and a good group of people who love what they do. Be willing to hear out people with different points of view and don’t talk about people behind their backs.