OpenTable Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenTable Chief Executive Officer Christa Quarles
Christa Quarles

Pros
  • Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area (in 21 reviews)

• A lot of companies boast "great culture" but OpenTable really delivers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company (in 10 reviews)

• The company is very far from being competitive from other bay area tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Grab a seat at the table!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at OpenTable for several years now, and it has been a real privilege to be a part of the growth this company has achieved in that time. Beyond our amazing products for restaurants and diners, what makes OpenTable special is the people. We are absolutely a company of foodies who work hard and eat well -- often at the same time. There's always someone to grab lunch with, terrific healthful snacks for employees, and treats from colleagues' latest travels on Steakman's (Yes, we have a bar in our marketing department!). There's a new focus on professional development and there are always opportunities to broaden your skill set if you're willing to take on new challenges. Management puts a true emphasis on work-life balance, and the company regularly celebrates team and individual accomplishments. Volunteering is important as the company values giving back -- and those outings are typically followed by great food and drink! There's a great deal of transparency around company goals, which I appreciate. And, as a diner and former restaurant professional, I really love the service and the product so it's incredibly cool to work for a brand you actually believe in.

Cons

The growth we've achieved has definitely been accompanied by changes, and they haven't always been effortless to navigate -- when you staff up dramatically, for example, it can be hard to establish solid career paths. However, we have a super charged-up CEO who is really dialed in to those challenges and a solid P+C team, so I think we're moving in an exciting direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively listen to team members.

2. "I really like it here. Would recommend to anybody."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable (Less than a year)

Pros

Great brand/product, experienced leadership team, super smart people in all departments, fun/challenging/agile work environment, best benefits I've ever had, prime downtown SF location, etc, etc, etc

Cons

Public company, meaning more than the average amount of process/red tape/approvals for anything HR/accounting/finance related

Advice to Management

Overall, you're doing great.

"Not the best, not the worst"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best work/life balance I've experienced in the Bay Area
    *Relatively interesting industry
    *Fantastically innovative marketing department
    *Great happy hours/parties
    *Most employees are delightful

Cons

*Extremely political. The person with the loudest voice usually gets their way
    *No career progresion or training opportunities
    *Low pay relative to the bay area

Advice to Management

*Start investing in your employees. There are some seriously talented employees just itching for career progression and education. Take advantage of your own talent pool before looking outwards.
    *Also, organize a company mission and encourage employees to rally behind it. It seems like everyone has their own agenda and solely focuses on fulfilling that. Change that.

5. "Good people, fun place"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opentable provides decent pay, a young workforce, and a fun atmosphere. Things move fast, drinks are served, parties are fun, and management works hard to keep a start-up kind of feel within a much bigger/older organization.

Cons

Suffers from some of the growing pains that come with growing quickly, and needing to transition into a larger company. Lots of freedom existed in how to approach problems with technology, but now there is a bit of a mess to clean up. This is a light criticism, as this is being managed pretty well.

Advice to Management

Don't push too hard with the new until you have cleaned up the infrastructure you need to support it.

"Good could be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and the industry space is exciting. The general population is hard working, super fun and great to work with. There is a good effort to promote from within. There is a lot of passion about the industry. People like to hang out together outside of work.

Cons

New CEO is getting things done, but with collateral damage. There has been a lot of turnover at the senior levels. The CEO looks for people to agree with her doesn’t always back her leaders. There is overt favoritism.

Advice to Management

Great products, fun teams and a good group of people who love what they do. Be willing to hear out people with different points of view and don’t talk about people behind their backs.

"Lots of potential. Stuck in mediocrity."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Interesting vertical (who doesn't want to work with restaurants)
    - Fun work that can be rewarding
    - No real competitive threats
    - Good trifecta of CEO - CFO - CTO
    - Location of HQ is great
    - Lots of Priceline cash means projects get funded
    - Lots of cool people

Cons

- Weak senior management under the CXO position
    - CEO is solid, but has surrounded herself with yes men and women
    - Sales runs the show = not a ton of vision more than a quarter out
    - Not a lot of appetite for risk
    - Internal politics can be crazy
    - Internal talent development is nearly non-existent

Advice to Management

- If you hire smart people let them do what you hired them for, otherwise the exodus of talent will continue.
    - Start developing your own talent. It doesn't set a good precedent for the rest of the company that you constantly look for silver bullets from the outside.

OpenTable Response

Sep 13, 2016 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experiences at OpenTable. We value the input from employees like yourself. Please reach out to your HR Business Partner if you wish to further ... More

8. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not political, not hierarchical, innovation is welcomed and quick decision-making.

Cons

Too many goals and not enough clarity on how to achieve them from leadership.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity on goals, aligning all business units around them so it doesn't feel like everyone is going in their different directions and leadership should help prioritizing the number of goals.

"Fantastic underlying product, fun work environment, genuinely good people, average vision/leadership."

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Good, genuine people.
    A fantastic underlying product that has long term tailwinds (thanks, Internet!).
    Enough opportunities to pick and choose your own projects.
    Open mindedness.
    Encouraged to be candid.

Cons

An increased feeling of instability (perhaps temporary).
    Long-tenured leaders have left as entire refresh at senior level. new leadership has not demonstrated vision just yet or ability to focus and execute.
    Communication from top has deteriorated.
    Solid upper-middle managers in place as execs.
    Lots of opinions.
    Used to be filled with DIY'ers and solutions oriented people. Influx of 'idea people'.

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

It doesn't feel like work. OpenTable is one of the most welcoming places to work, full of friendly, passionate people. Creating a marketplace for restaurants to serve diners is complex and interesting.

Work/life balance. Perks at restaurants. Great stock benefits.

Cons

Efforts can take longer than they should. Better compensation can be found in the Bay. Longevity sometimes trumps execution for promotions.

Advice to Management

Align on clear company goals that don't spread teams too thin or conflict across teams. Retaining good talent is priceless, focus on that.

11. "Industry-leading company, Great culture, Cool people!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location (downtown San Francisco, 2 min walk to Montgomery BART station), Great and diverse culture and people, Highly skilled engineers and employees, Advanced technologies used for building great products and services loved by both diners and restaurateur, Great P&C (HR) team, Managers (At least the ones I've worked with) are highly professional and yet quite understanding, Great teamwork culture across the company, and of course lots of snacks!

Cons

Work-life balance issues from time to time, Not the best benefits package compared to some tech companies in SF Bay Area but sill pretty competitive package overall.