OpenText Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

OpenText CEO and CTO Mark J. Barrenechea
Mark J. Barrenechea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They believe in a strong work/life balance and it's a very positive atmosphere (in 136 reviews)

• Very flexible with Dress Code and work from home policies; (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance can be challenging (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management rarely listen to criticism or implement real change to ongoing problems (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenText full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is great, people are hard working and friendly to each other. There is no micro-management! The company is fair to its employees and have good communication regarding its goals and acquisitions. The employees are generally loyal to OpenText, this says something very nice about OpenText!

Cons

It would be nice if colleagues would be able to meet each other at least once per year!

"Combine the excitement of working in software with the strength and benefits of a large company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Unlike many software companies, Open Text has a Big Picture/Long Term view of the market and its offerings, and the treatment of its employees. Many of my peers have been promoted. Open Text provides an excellent work/ life balance for me. I believe that the strategies we have in place for our offerings will greatly benefit our customers and that Open Text actually understands the value of content - all content: documents, records, email, video, faxes, web content and wants to make it all search able and add on on real social networking and collaboration tools to the content - it's very exciting!

Cons

It's a big company, and sometimes it's difficult to navigate

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward. Our content experts strategy is the way to go.

3. "Director of Systems Engineering"

Former Employee - Director of Systems Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Systems Engineering in Austin, TX

Pros

From the beginning to the end (of four years), it was great to be allowed freedom to spread my wings and succeed on my own terms.

Cons

As a remote employee, I found it challenging to disengage from the high-pressure firehose of information and projects coming my way. But that was my own fault, for not maintaining balance.

Advice to Management

I was very happy with my management team, and I suppose the best advice I could give is to pay attention to what each of the team is contributing, and tailor/recognize their work accordingly.

4. "great company to work for"

Pros

I have experiences great and smart management

Cons

There are no cons working for OT

5. "Great company with a great culture where things get done"

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Employees are our biggest asset
    - Promote from within
    - Innovation
    - No politics

Cons

I have no con experiences

"Chanel Manager Federal"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Great company
    Good Technology
    widely adapted

Cons

lack of resources
    grew too fast
    will be acquired

7. "It was a great place to get started and to network and get in the tech world."

Former Employee - Sales Development in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development in San Mateo, CA

I worked at OpenText full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers and great leadership. The product was amazing as well. Good benefits and massages. There was lots of help and useful information flying around.

Cons

Sales process was a bit lengthy but ended well. Not too many flaws but lots of calling. There could of been more benefits like free lunch but other than that it was great.

Advice to Management

Make sure to hire the best out there. It's a job of organization and leadership.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at OpenText full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, generous amount of personal time off. Very flexible schedule.

Cons

Pay increases can be in frequent, but when you do receive one, it makes up for it.

Advice to Management

I have great management above me, so keep doing what you do.

"Silent Majority?"

I have been working at OpenText full-time

Pros

After reading through several negative posts, I felt compelled to write a review of my own. My experience has been very positive. The enthusiasm within the sales team is contagious. I've found all of my co-workers to be very pleasant and eager to help when needed. We have great products to sell and the resources to be successful.

Cons

Change is constant due mainly to mergers and acquisitions but also plans for future growth. If you're not easily adaptable, this may not be the right company for you. Because our portfolio is so diverse, there is a lot to learn for anyone new to OT and it can be a bit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to give reviews on Glassdoor. I don't feel the current reviews are an accurate representation of the 8000 employees that do enjoy working for OT.

"Sick company, worst CEO on the planet"

Former Employee - Sales Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Management in New York, NY

I worked at OpenText full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many good quality people in the trenches. They tolerate and or ignore the CEO's micro management and ego. It is survival of the fittest. If you suck up you could survive, but have fun trying to sleep at night.

Cons

CEO and his team of first line managers. A sick man professionally and personally. He has no personal life and it is noticed by the employees. Has the Canadians thinking he is one of them.... Pure joke. Has a board of Directors who are clueless puppets that the CEO sucks up to, so he can manipulate. Most of the CEO's direct reports cannot personally tolerate him, but they do so to keep a job. In 3 years this company has flushed all but one of the executive leaders, including 3 SVP's of HR, 2 sales leaders and others. Many people from the CEO's Oracle background laugh that he is now a CEO. A pure tech head, clueless of real innovative business and people skills. It is amazing Wall Street tolerates.

Advice to Management

Simple, Mark and his direct report team need to go if you want to keep the company as Open Text, especially as a Canadian company . Founder and board wake up, you know what is really happening. Yes the share price is $60 again, but it could be $200 with a real innovative CEO leading the company.

Showing 953 of 1,012 reviews