Opendoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Opendoor Reviews

Updated Feb 13, 2020

3.8
Opendoor CEO Eric Wu (no image)
Eric Wu
Pros
  • "Great place to work with great people(in 9 reviews)

• "Flexibility also stretches across work/life balance which is hard to find(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficulty finding work-life balance, too many meetings & it's becoming a more corporate environment(in 29 reviews)

• "Had some growing pains earlier this year when we grew really fast but things have settled down(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Being part of a Game Changer!"

I have been working at Opendoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Things that are important to me of where I want to work: *Ethics & Values - Opendoor has an inclusive workplace that holds their Employees and Customers at the top. They say, "start and end with the customer" a lot, which I really like. * Culture - Opendoor is an amazing culture for me including: Open dialog, FUN, hard work but rewarding work & being bold * Career Growth - Opendoor has distinct career paths for my specific position to get me to the next level and open communication to help me build out a plan for my career. They even have a "grow your craft" fund where you get $1,500 a year to be used for certifications, classes, seminars, conferences etc. * Company - Is growing quickly and disrupting the real estate industry. The trajectory they are headed makes me believe that the potential is limitless.

Cons

I really hope they don't get rid of free lunch everyday. That is huge benefit that I love. Not only because the food is good but because it gives me time to catch up with co-workers

Opendoor2019-05-08
  2. "Opendoor"

Former Employee - Budget Review Estimator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Opendoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, friendly, cohesive work environment, awesome perks

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with day to day requirements for success

Opendoor2020-01-28
  3. "Great Company & Customer Obsessed"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Opendoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

I truly enjoy everyone I work with, I appreciate how much the company cares about each & every customer, & flexible schedule.

Cons

Difficulty finding work-life balance, too many meetings & it's becoming a more corporate environment.

Opendoor2020-01-31
  4. "Awful work environment, stay away if you can"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Opendoor full-time

Pros

Salary on par with market if you're junior.

Cons

No work life balance. Lack of diversity. Talks with many senior former employees have revealed that they quit partially because Ian (CTO) and Eric (CEO) literally do not care about diversity in the company. 1 in 15-20 of engineers are women? Feedback is non existent at this company. They claim openness but it's all a lie. They track how non EPD employees spend any company time (at a level similar to Amazons warehouse employees) Almost little to no career growth unless you suck up to the managers. (maybe even literally? Many EMs have been in sexual relationships with their employees? Some even in the office.)

Opendoor2020-02-14
  5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Opendoor full-time

Pros

Very flexible and forward thinking. Really liked everyone there.

Cons

Trying to grow to quickly.

Opendoor2019-12-31

"Say goodbye to any other extra curricular activity other than work"

Current Employee - Decline to State

I have been working at Opendoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location is close to home. That's about it.

Cons

Work life balance? Completely non existent. Also, that 'unlimited vacay' ploy? Don't fall for it. Only if there is coverage, after being guilt tripped (and working 14 hour days 6 days a week), you might be granted that much needed time off. But be prepared to work on vacation, as I have been asked to do. That salary that employees receive? Be prepared to work around the clock to complete 'tasks' by end of day vs end of business. You even receive the latest and greatest version of a MacBook Pro as a way to invisible ball and chain. Hours are so grueling, they are amping up their hiring for contractors through Robert Half Consulting, and have these same expectations for performance and only pay them $14/hr. Not to mention their sourcing work such as checking emails and attaching documents to Guatemala, however you are expected to go behind what they call the 'GTeam' to ensure what they have done is correct (more than 90% of the time, the same doc is uploaded to their archaic system 5-10x, which then re-generates an already completed task, therefore re-triggering the whole process again) This is one of the worse companies that I've ever worked for. The SLA 'metrics' are non-real estate related, and the volume that comes in is impossible to keep up with based on their expectations. These expectations however don't apply to everyone! If you are lucky enough to be in the popular 'cliques' and entertain others well, your so called performance will be overlooked. The managers work towards their bottom-line only. They put up a good front to make it appear that they care about you, but will threw you under the bus at the first opportunity. Be prepared to be micro-managed by this iBuyer that is doing things more along the lines of Amazon conveyor belty, and not anywhere near the level of service by traditional real estate, done with a few transaction coordinators. Slack is their preferred method of communication, and most times their managing Brokers are so overworked (or maybe they're not) they're always in meetings, and most times answer Brokerage questions that aren't completely relevant to the situation at hand. I haven't even began to mention their purchasing OS National and the headache that is their newly thought up Mortgage company. I'll leave that for another reviewer If you hear someone recommend Opendoor to work for OR even buying or selling, run! They will sell you a dream at AN EXTREMELY high cost!

Opendoor2020-01-30
  7. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Opendoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Culture and values- puts the customer internally and externally as a priority

Cons

There are not any cons for opendoor

Opendoor2019-12-23

"It’s a mess"

Former Employee - Closing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Opendoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people are great. There are still a few perks left. It’s never boring. If you’re a workaholic who enjoys working all the time and doesn’t care about work-life balance, you’ll love it here. “Unlimited” PTO, which actually means 4 weeks here. Still a good benefit, but beware the misleading lingo.

Cons

Opendoor is really good at pumping themselves up and making you feel like you’re at the most special company on earth. It felt great at the time, but looking back it’s almost cult-like, and it’s clear that they do that in order to make employees feel intense loyalty despite the chaos. An overused quote we heard a lot was “no one is doing what we’re doing.” It’s easy to get sucked in, but make no mistake, Opendoor will take advantage of it and feels no loyalty towards its employees. There’s been lots of turnover and angst over the past 6 months, and for good reason. There are many managers who have no business being managers. Condescending, self-important, micromanaging, and are of very little help to their teams. Managers who will watch their teams drown rather than jump in and help, while criticizing every little thing. Not all managers are that way, but unfortunately it’s luck of the draw. Perks have been disappearing left and right, bringing the once bright and shiny culture down with them. Upper management doesn’t give a single care about everyday employees. They’ve adopted a “customer first” model, which sounds great in theory but ultimately means employees suffer for it. I’ve since moved to a “people first”, culture-forward company, and there’s a biiiig difference. There’s little-to-no growth opportunity. I was there for over 18 months and watched the opportunities shrink rather than grow, especially in the Dallas office. There was a lot of talk about growth plans, but nothing was ever actually done. Managers aren’t focused on your growth, only on metrics. If you think you’re going to move up, think again.

Opendoor2019-12-31
  9. "Great Place, Kind People, On trend Market"

Current Employee - Renovation Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Opendoor full-time

Pros

Opendoor is providing a new way to work real- estate and is giving the power to the consumer. The people are very friendly, and will do what ever they can to make sure you perform at your best by taking time out of their day to help you. The company is fully aware of its shortcomings and will flex itself to find a smoother more efficient way. So change is a common occurrence. The Phoenix office has tons of snacks, great food vendors everyday, supportive staff, comfortable work spaces, and great people.

Cons

If you don't like change be prepared to be a little uncomfortable.

Opendoor2019-12-15

Opendoor Response

January 23, 2020People Team

Thank you for the feedback! We can all agree that change is a constant for all of us at Opendoor. We appreciate you sharing your experience working at Opendoor so far.

10. "Opendoor"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Opendoor full-time

Pros

Great interview experience, thoughtful team and the company culture seems very inclusive.

Cons

I have not been here long enough to find any cons.

Opendoor2019-12-14

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 209 reviews