Opera Mediaworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Will Kassoy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Product Manager in Mobile Advertising"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Opera Mediaworks (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. New, innovative challenges in the advertising industry.

Cons

Many acquisitions, failed deals, and restructuring led to lack of direction by upper management. Teams that get acquired seem to take over as older acquisitions leave after vesting.

Advice to Management

Excite the employees more.

2. "Sales Coordinator"

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manager supportive and transparent. Kept busy, but still keep a balance of work and life.

Cons

Perks going away...For example, catered lunches down to once a week.

"An under the radar company with stability & growth potential"

Current Employee - Director/Vice President Level in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director/Vice President Level in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Innovation - Constantly leading innovation for video ad technology
    - Creative - The creative team is making some of the best, most interactive mobile ad campaigns for brands in the space
    - Focus on people - The leadership team is strong

Cons

- One of the biggest mobile ad players you've never heard of! There are some brand awareness problems (probably due to being an amalgamation of many acquired companies), but it's definitely getting better.
    - There were some pain points in 2015 with staff, but between the veterans who are leaders here and the fresh new hires, I truly believe the right people are now here.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Self Motivations as Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great team culture, outstanding cohesive company considering it's effectively the conglomeration of multiple acquisitions by Opera. Flexible work schedules, but with defined goals and stretch objectives. Will is maybe the best CEO I've ever worked with. A great brand to be associated with and a growing industry.

Cons

Still some teething about the acquired brands. Some individuals seem to coast by by doing just enough, or talking around things, especially in soft-goal departments, but that's normal at every company. Haven't been here long enough to know if they get "found out" or not.

Advice to Management

Ditch the other brands or embrace them. Can get confusing explaining the relationships to customers.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time

Pros

(Been here for 1 year)
    - Upper management cleaned house. Making a lot of great new hires from large and innovative companies. It's breathing new life into the company and revenue is higher than it ever has been.
    - New products that are being developed will be game changers.
    - Management is focused, which makes it easier for employees to self manage.
    - Upper Management spends a lot of time on internal communication.
    - Investing in branding and messaging which the company has never had before.

Cons

- A lot of change since Will K. became CEO. It has left some people bitter but that is unavoidable with that kind of change.
    - A ton of work to be done. Opera Mediaworks never really had proper HR, processes, documentation or a clear understanding of their customer. Over the past 6 months that has changed a lot.
    - Big difference between the way of thinking between older Opera Employees and AdColony sometimes causes frustrations.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people, culture and new products.

"Future is promising"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at OMW has been really great. I've been here for 3.5 years so far and every year I've gotten an opportunity to learn and grow tremendously. Most importantly I have been recognized, acknowledged, and compensated for my accomplishments.

Work/life balance is tremendous. I get to WFH if I need to and my managers have always been of the mind "as long as the work gets done, I don't care how you do it". Very motivating and appreciated.

The work is very interesting and colleagues are awesome. Sure, there are bad eggs here and there, but overall, they are great.

As a company, it's gone through a few changes. I understand that not being on the chopping block gives me a different perspective, but I get it. New management took over and left a lot of people unhappy. The period of uncertainty is not great, but I'm not holding it against the company. It's a business first and foremost and nothing is personal.

I think change is a great thing .The new CEO and management are making things happen and I like working for a company who has a clear vision and acts upon it. Old management was stale... the change had to happen.

Cons

Bonuses are lower moving forward.
    Salary increases are lower as well (percentage is not as high), although still above average.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider the bonus structure and stop being so stingy with changing job titles.

7. "Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people are great to work with
    - Monthly company outings
    - Flexible work/life balance
    - Opportunities to learn a wide range of topics

Cons

- Disconnect between sales and other teams
    - Not enough communication with executive decisions to rest of company

Advice to Management

Please take into account the rest of the people lower on the employment tree when making decisions

"One of the shadiest companies in the industry"

Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

Pros

Big brand, progressive, smart engineers

Cons

Management has no direction, constant layoffs, low morale, no transparency and a horrible work life balance. They have no appreciation for their employees.

More than 60% of the people have left the company since Ad Colony's hostile take over

"Good Balance bad direction"

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Management is easy going so long as work gets done.
    Catered lunches on Wednesdays.
    Good people to work with.

Cons

There is a lot of disconnect between the entities that make up OMW.
    Management seems to always be in a tussle against one another.
    The sole focus is $$ and little or nothing is done to better work culture.
    Have 2 floors in the building and both are pretty cramped with people.

Advice to Management

The sum is only as good as its parts and if all the entities continue to function as themselves then things won't trend in the correct direction. People still identify themselves as employees of Admarvel, Mobile Theory, Adcolony etc. when in reality it should just be OMW..

"Working here has reintroduced me to my personal life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance! This is probably the biggest plus. I go home when my work is done. This is usually at 5:00 PM.

Additionally, there is great opportunity to innovate. As the company consists of many recently acquired entities, it is easy to carve ones own path. There is not a lot of structure with respect to process and existing infrastructure. This makes it easy to get things done without having to wade through red tape.

The company recently launched a learning and development portal called Opera Campus that offers free, professional development courses and webinars to employees. Additionally there are a lot of brilliant people who are open to providing guidance and mentorship.

Then there is the standard perk list: competitive compensation package with bonus incentives, opportunity to make immediate and meaningful contributions from day one, medical, dental, and vision benefits as well as a 401k with company matching, fully-stocked kitchen with snacks and drink, gym/commute/cell phone reimbursement etc.

Cons

There is a lot of integrating to do as with all companies who use M&A as a strategy for growth.