Opera Software Reviews in Oslo, Norway | Glassdoor

Opera Software Oslo Reviews

Oslo, Norway Area (Norway)

3.9
Opera Software CEO Lars Boilesen
Lars Boilesen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees have good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Only the best are hired so you get to work with extremely smart people on products with the highest standards when it comes to quality and usability (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I have also heard that it has all changed after Opera acquisition by the Chinese consortium this year (in 3 reviews)

• People are cut, contracts broken or given severance packages every week at the HQ in Oslo since the Nov 2016 Chinese acquisition (in 3 reviews)

1. "One of the best companies i have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Oslo (Norway)
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Oslo (Norway)

I worked at Opera Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work. Fed their employees well, took good care of them with health insurance, enough leave, remote working & traveling to markets was highly encouraged. Smart management who understood early on that investing in a diversity & culture is important for business & employee health.

Cons

Not a lot of women in leadership. Would have liked to see more women in senior positions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with product, employees and technology.

Mar 16, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for your spending some time to write this review of Opera. We are very happy to hear that Opera is one of the best companies you have worked for. Best of luck to you with your... More

"Treat people like tools after Chinese aquisition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oslo (Norway)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oslo (Norway)

I worked at Opera Software full-time

Pros

Friendly co workers, global brand, some good managers. Used to be great before the acquisition process started in 2016.

Cons

People are cut, contracts broken or given severance packages every week at the HQ in Oslo since the Nov 2016 Chinese acquisition. People left at Opera are used as tools by the new leadership. Do not recommend if you want a safe job in a friendly environment.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like tools, we are human beings!

Apr 11, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are sad to hear that this is how you feel, but will try our best to take your feedback into consideration. Best of luck to you.

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Oslo (Norway)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oslo (Norway)

I worked at Opera Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you a lot of autonomy. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

No clear promotion/growth path. They hire incompetent people from the outside instead of promoting people who are competent from the inside. They pay below market.

Mar 26, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated the autonomy and friendly co-workers. We also want to thank you for inputs on improvement for Opera... More

4. "Great people. But not so motivating enviroment"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Oslo (Norway)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Oslo (Norway)

I worked at Opera Software (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with
    Free lunches, diverse and delicious
    Many activities

Cons

Hierarchy
    Slow process
    Slow to adapt to changes in the industry

Nov 10, 2016

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your internship at Opera, and thank you for your feedback for improvements.

"It used to be an excellent place. It used to be really awesome."

Current Employee - Core Developer in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Core Developer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Opera Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, very international, still lots of good people around.
    It looks like things are improving.
    The company makes more money than ever.

Cons

After ditching Presto, the company morale dropped, and many good people left. I consider working on Chromium a negative experience for me. Nowadays, many things are done in Poland.

Advice to Management

Morale is improving, so that's good. But hte company is losing technical relevance and the progress are extremely slow.

6. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Oslo (Norway)

Pros

People is awesome, work-life balance, the work environment, flexibility in time and managing your own responsibilities, empowerment, our amazing canteen, Friday beers!

Cons

Can not think of anything right know, I'm quite happy with everything.

"Things are changing for the better"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Opera Software as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Oslo office is at a nice location with very good lunch (a choice of warm meals like bbq or salmon + salad + sandwiches) for free. They have one of the best coffee machines I have seen (if you like cappuccino). Your colleagues are in general very smart and there is an amazing friday beers culture.

Cons

Opera is still in a transition phase. I think at the end of this transition Opera will be a great company again and you can feel the spirit everywhere. Still, a lot of former employees do not approve with this and you can also see that some engineers are depressed.

The "services" seem overworked and confused to me. Accounting, HR and reception are very friendly, but it takes ages to get something done. For most things there are processes defined, but it's hard to find these and on overall all the necessary processes (expense reimbursement, time documentation, ...) are far too complicated.

I found it a bit strange that some development is so globally spread. To me it makes more sense to develop certain things here, and other things there. Not have "mixed" teams all over the place. Kind of hard to work with two people you have never personally met. At opera this somehow works because engineers use IRC for communication all the time. You have to like that, at times it's strange to chat with an engineer sitting five meters away from you - but of course you can always just go there and talk.

I got a look at salaries and currently it is true what other reviewers say: Opera is not the best payer.

Advice to Management

In the past people used to work here for idealistic reasons, but the transition changed that and Opera should really start to pay more or loose current and future talent.
    And straighten internal processes employees have to go through.

"Project Lead with few year experience in various projects in the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Opera Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

challenging projects, great coworkers, people have impact on the project, good facilities: sports, company breakfast

Cons

so called scandinavian consensus, no clear decission making, decreased importance on usability in projects

"Always something interesting happening"

Current Employee - Developer in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Developer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Opera Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers. Lots of really smart and interesting people. Particularly in Oslo there's a very international mix of people in the office.

Many offices around the world, and an opportunity to work in different locations. English is the official work language in all locations.

Cons

Lots of incomplete projects - things get started and then the company direction changes so they don't always make it all the way to awesome.

10. "Strong ship, talented crew, not a clear direction"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Opera Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

International and many talented people. Great lunch!

Cons

Bad communication and lack of good leadership with a solid and inspiring vision

Advice to Management

Employees do not get motivated by a company that just makes great numbers