Opera Solutions Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Good Working Environment, Work-Life Balance (in 18 reviews)

• Flexi timings and work from home are some of the great policies (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Smart, competent people (recruit from best schools/programs in country)
    -Growing company (business opps and tech expanding rapidly)
    -Flat structure, easy to move up
    -Management gives consistent performance feedback
    -Consistently improving management (great mentorship opportunities)
    -Collegiate, social environment
    -Advancement opportunities
    -Office location (less than 20 min from most places in Manhattan)
    -Amazing work/life balance compared to competitors (hours of software company but work of a consulting firm)
    -Free Friday lunch and stocked kitchen
    -Happy hours most Fridays, social events throughout year

Cons

-Steep learning curve (responsibilities can grow quickly)
    -Little room to slack off due to small size
    -If you're looking for consistent business travel like other consultancies, there are only a few projects that require travel

Advice to Management

-Keep investing in new talent
    -Make sure to prioritize star assets
    -Expand training in Signal Hub for professional services side of business

"Company has no values"

Former Employee - Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Flexible work timings
    Good office location

Cons

This is a good example of how a team and company can get ruined with no values or integrity. Values is just a webpage on the website with absolutely no meaning. Worked for 5 years and never had a meaningful review. Politics is very very high even for such a small company. You don't need merit or credentials to be successful just be friends/part of the Boss's club. Since the Boss also got his position doing the same.

Advice to Management

Analyze why the company is still a startup for the past 10 years! with exponentially decreasing revenues. I think the company needs the product signalhub more than its client's now.

3. "When the worst of big meets the best of small"

Former Freelancer - Head of Sales - Capital Markets in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Freelancer - Head of Sales - Capital Markets in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

entrepreneurial, smart, motivated, nice people

Cons

too many controls, too much strategy and not enough execution

Advice to Management

agile all the way down to the line.
    listen to employees not just the yes men.

5. "Great Team .. Sound focus"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I saw the change of the company in last 5 years, it has been truly phenomenal. I had been to multiple Opera offices, made lot of friends. I was pulled by top 3 software firms, which was an irresistible offer. But here are few thoughts if you intend to join this company:
    - Great peers. If I have to choose one thing to talk about - it will be people. Opera has amazing breed of Go-getters. It is fantastic place to pick up new skills
    - Lot of opportunities - there are numerous things happening around, be it Opera Open (I don't any other company which runs a B-Plan competition), TACOs (Analytics paper competition) or be it moving from Services to Analytics.... Don't know if lot of firms will allow that.
    - Single minded focus - with maturity of Signal Hub platform, there is lot of focus. Every deal is on Signal hub only - which helps cut down any noise.

Cons

- Bonus - if I have to mark one thing, it is going to be compensation and bonus. It's been inconsistent.
    - Sales need lot of investment. Current sales team is too stretched to provide support on account expansion deals.

Advice to Management

Tag star performers and retain them.

"As bad as it gets!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people - few and far between.
    When free friday lunch is the best thing about a company the writing is on the wall.

Cons

The most political organization - and it doesn't even have 500 people! Everything is driven by whether or not you are in the good books of some select leaders. Unfortunately getting in their good books is dependent least on merit and most on how you politically handle yourself. Leadership decisions and opinions often made on hearsay not facts. Rampant favoritism. Senior US leadership is extremely untrustworthy and incompetent. Also they are really struggling with their business model and product, have seen no traction in more than a year - zero new projects. Company can wrap up or be sold anytime. Oh and did I say - they pay significantly under market compensation.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

"More Managers than workers"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Friday Lunches
    Great office Location ( New jersey Office)
    Happy Hours

Cons

There are more managers than people who actually do the work (coding and analysis).
                 At a single time , 2-3 managers will give you ideas to implement and everyone expects the results. If you complain, they will ask you to manage time properly.

Signal Hub is Very bad. They sell this product to many clients ( who buy it because its cheaper in market) but there are issues every day.

Work - Life balance is the worst.

They do not have enough money to give Bonus to everyone.

Do not get stuck in this company for more than a year or else you will be stuck for ever.

Advice to Management

E3 , F3 does not change the working conditions. Let your employees have some life as well.

"A company that doesn't know it's head from its..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Good food and booze.

Cons

Not sure of how to manage/promote itself- confusion is obvious throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Less talk - more action

"Amazing Managers and Mentors - Great Place"

Former Employee - Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gotten a chance to work on some of the amazing projects in Airlines and Telecom Sector...
    - Was encouraged by one of the my business leader (my mentor) to work across verticals - in only two years, I got to work across two business verticals - something you rarely get a chance in any of the other firms...
    - It was really nice to speak and work directly with Client teams Opera is really cool with that actually ... [BTW, I have worked with one of the leading consulting firm in the past in New York/ Pune - there was a complete hierarchy that only Client Partners or Relationship Managers could speak to the client]
    - I have seen a huge transition in last 2 years within Opera - WITH company being completely non-transparent TO company being completely transparent now... I see emails from the CEO every Friday talking about in-depth machinery - I feel like the Management has become much more approachable in last one year...

Cons

- Mentor program could be made much more powerful.. Opera feels like a complete start-up with lot of changing things - and it is important that every employee is personally overseen and mentored by a senior team member. I think it is not difficult for every Director (AND ABOVE) to personally take care of 10 juniors...
    - HR could be made much more approachable to the ground teams

Advice to Management

Focus on People Issues

"Seems like the transformation that management keeps talking about is finally hapenning"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

- Management has become very transparent and trying to engage employees. Also increase in social budgets and new laptops is welcome
    - Interesting work - sometimes very hectic though but you get reasonable flexibility as long as you do your job
    - Exposure to clients early on is good and apparently my client is expanding the contract so probably client like us too - which is good

Cons

- Sometimes work gets hectic even with flexible hours.
    - Would like to work on other interesting projects I keep hearing about from other emplotyees but it has been difficult to roll off from my current project

Advice to Management

Keep up with what you are doing and rotate staff more often

"Meritous employees but management is poor"

Former Employee - Research & Data Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Research & Data Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friday Lunches, good payment, regular outings and office/team events, monthly birthday celebrations, good learning curve, friendly employees. Many types of reimbursements available.

Cons

Their proprietary Signal Hub which has no future and it's experience doesn't count for other industries. Too many portals inside. Unhygienic office environment on Friday. Most of the employees are into vices (drinking, smoking, drugs), stressful job.

Advice to Management

Employees latest performance must be kept in mind over the overall track of performance. Try to retain your existing employees better, as you can't always rely on freshers for all projects in the future.