Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Good Working Environment, Work-Life Balance (in 19 reviews)

• Flexi timings and work from home are some of the great policies (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance could be better (in 11 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Great Opportunities, Flat Structure, Great People"

Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for new hires given the relatively small size of the firm.
    The structure is fairly flat, so there is immediate exposure to senior leadership
    Incredibly talented people, from a variety of backgrounds with a good blend of Consulting and Data Science expertise

Cons

Sometimes lacks structure that a lot of people look for - Opera has a start up feel to it, which may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for a traditional consulting environment ( like Deloitte, McK)

"Doing what it takes to succeed"

Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons

1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Management

So many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

"Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it takes."

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart and talented people with constant flow of ideas. Company was started with passion and willingness to take risks. Combined leadership will provide significant strength.

Cons

There will always be cons even with the most successful companies, the most successful failed before succeeding. Some of the people have a sense of entitlement due to their unrealistic expectations that causes a negative working environment. They are quick to point fingers when times are tough, but would never be able to start a business of their own.

Advice to Management

Continue to move forward.

"NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Just like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

Cons

This transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication alive....

"Turning the Corner with Momentum Building"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Advice to Management

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

"Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Advice to Management

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

"You get out what you put in"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Advice to Management

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.

8. "Despite the long hours and big work load, the company treats you very well."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule
    4 weeks vacation
    Lunch provided on Friday
    Opportunity to learn new skills
    Friendly staff

Cons

It feels like the company has lost its direction and is losing a lot of employees. We just got a lot of money from investors but it seems to be going quick on helping us find our way again.

Advice to Management

Communicate with each other so we can all head in the same direction. Let the employees know what's going on within the company. Find out why we are losing so many employees lately. It's bad for morale.

9. "Loads of potential and talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is positioned on the leading edge of a booming industry, no doubt about it. We are constantly asked to solve incredibly complex questions for some of the best known companies in the world. The work is challenging and changes frequently, like at any successful start-up.

Cons

We need to accelerate the transition from a consulting model to being a repeatable solution company. This is critical to growth and scale. Many of us know this is the correct path, but some people are confused or hesitant about how the changes will affect them. There's a ton of great technology and science being developed, can make prioritization tough at times for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Speed up the transition process. Communicate clearly and frequently. Put some opportunities on the back burner and execute on a few truly great ideas.

10. "An Opportunity To Work With “A” Quality People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If there was one element about Opera Solutions that places it head and shoulders above the other "Big Data"/service players in the market, it’s the quality of the people I work with. Through all levels of the org, the company consists of a collegial atmosphere with some of the brightest minds I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

The company's CEO, Arnab, is a visionary in this space and has been the driving force behind the company's shift from its consulting roots to a software company. He has high standards for himself and the people around him. Those who aren't willing to give their all — to work harder and think more deeply — may have a problem with this. Personally, I like it.

Though a lot of reviews suggest the c-suite is disconnected from the trenches, I beg to differ as the hierarchy is relatively flat and management is helping drive initiatives daily.

Salaries remain competitive and if you do contribute top-notch work, you will be rewarded sooner rather than later. As one poster said “you get what you put in,” which means if you roll up your sleeves, prepare to work hard, and produce, your efforts will be recognized by senior leadership.

If you’re hungry there’s plenty of room to grow, by climbing “the ladder” and also by gaining experience at one of the top companies in the “Big Data” space.

Cons

Communication throughout the organization needs attention as “town hall” style Q&A meetings are rarely held and transparency is lacking.