Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2017

Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is good and a good environment to work in (in 20 reviews)

• Great work hour, work from home option (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good but not very organized"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Opera Solutions as an intern

Pros

You get to learn a lot like any other internship. You make great friends. They have good recreational activities. You go out with your team almost every month. Everyone was super helpful. It was like we were all a family.

Cons

They do not have a good internship program. Good as in it is not well organized. I was the only intern during my period. (i did my internship in the indian branch) maybe they do not take very many interns. There is not much scope of learning for the long run as I saw with my team mates. It is good for initial start of the career.

Advice to Management

Please make a better internship program?

2. "When the worst of big meets the best of small"

Former Freelancer - Head of Sales - Capital Markets in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Freelancer - Head of Sales - Capital Markets in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

entrepreneurial, smart, motivated, nice people

Cons

too many controls, too much strategy and not enough execution

Advice to Management

agile all the way down to the line.
    listen to employees not just the yes men.

3. "Boston based software development"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Newton, MA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advanced algorithms, large platform experience, flixible hours, small office

Cons

Previous development practices with focus on delivery rather than quality resulted in a code base, which has a incredible number of bugs. Most of the effort goes towards bug fixing, rather than new development. This may change depending on when you join the company or not apply to you depending on your particular role.

"So so"

Pros

Free lunch Fridays. Exposure to different problems

Cons

See other reviews. lots of Politics.

Advice to Management

read other reviews

"BIg Data Consulting"

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Interesting problems for demanding customers, particularly in finance. Opportunity to work with neat tools (Hadoop, etc.) on large problem sets. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Bread and butter is in less attractive domains, such as purchasing optimization. Also,this is a consulting not a product company, so be prepared to move to where the billing happens. As an engineer, prepare to be flexible and work on a variety of different projects.

Advice to Management

Offer a better technical track for engineers. Too often working Opera can feel like being a billable resource at a staffing company rather than part of a team.

"Rise & Fall of Opera : 2010 2-2015 started small with great momentum flourished in 2013 . Then everything is down fall."

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Flexibility is the only thing.

Cons

Management is the screw up.
     Owner was less informed about reality.

Advice to Management

Don't fire good CEO's who had brought some lift to souls after so many years . Favourism is something that can lead to bad things as history indicates

"Not as good as management reviews would indicate, but also not as bad as fleeing employee reviews would indicate either"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I should caveat this review by saying that I was a US based resource and experiences can be very different in other offices. Also, there is a ton of variance between good projects and bad projects so two individuals in the same office with the same title can have a very different experience.

I was fortunate to land some good projects with some strong teams. I received great exposure to predictive analytics / machine learning and consulting while at Opera. I worked on some very challenging and interesting projects. Predictive analytics / machine learning / Big Data is a very hot space right now so experience in these areas allows for a lot of flexibility.

I also met some great people (also see cons). Work-life balance was very reasonable for me.

The worst is probably behind the company as the company hit a bottom 6 months to a year back and Opera seems to be building some positive momentum. We'll see if that lasts.

Cons

A few years back this company was attracting top talent both across the globe. That's not the case anymore, though some talented folks still remain. It was painful to see the difference between 2 years back and now since there were so many highly talented, awesome people to be around. There are much fewer that remain.

Bonuses inconsistent / nonexistent, though perhaps that is a thing of the past. Promotions not really merit based and generally inconsistent.

Senior management has generally been pretty terrible in the past.

Advice to Management

Replacing your lost US talent with resources from India and China is not a good long term solution. You must start hiring more US resources.

"Lack of management guidance, limited investment into the company, minimal infrastructure"

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people below the management layer

Cons

Management head completely in the sand, no understanding of the 'Big Data' marketplace or client opportunities

Advice to Management

Improve business development organization, hire better delivery resources, focus on marketplace to guide product development

9. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Personal Growth and huge learning

Cons

Need some training session for employees

"Amazing people, chaotic direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Opera is very flexible. They have big dreams and investors with deep pockets. It has the feel of a start up but slightly more stability. They pay very competitively and the people I've worked with have been fantastic.

Cons

Management is shifting, as of May 2014, they have a new CEO. He seems very capable and will hopefully turn around the chaos. Before the company seemed content to half-commit to too many different directions. Marching orders often changed and there was virtually no accountability. They're working really hard to clean this up now, and the future does have tons of potential

Advice to Management

There seems to be a greater need to accountability and a more formal channel for people to talk about their supervisors if they see mismanagement and waste.