Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Good Working Environment, Work-Life Balance (in 16 reviews)

• Flexi timings and work from home are some of the great policies (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Administration"

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, great staff, free snacks, in house gym and showers, and free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

Too many changes in management with little to no communication.

Advice to Management

Enhance communication.

"Great Opportunities, Flat Structure, Great People"

Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for new hires given the relatively small size of the firm.
    The structure is fairly flat, so there is immediate exposure to senior leadership
    Incredibly talented people, from a variety of backgrounds with a good blend of Consulting and Data Science expertise

Cons

Sometimes lacks structure that a lot of people look for - Opera has a start up feel to it, which may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for a traditional consulting environment ( like Deloitte, McK)

"Good company to work with"

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to apply data science to real life problems across different industries. I am also glad to have chances to learn the design of the whole end to end analytics solution. It is an exciting to work with a lot of talent people. Excellent place for career development.

Cons

Middle level management is weak. Some projects are poorly managed. The work life balance is not good if you work on those projects.

Advice to Management

Hiring good people to enhance the middle level management.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Good salary and perks. Best of talented colleagues. Lots of opportunity to learn. Excellent step in my career that provides me with a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Expect a lot of travel.

Advice to Management

Make the review process simple. Continue to focus on professional development opportunities for employees. Keep focused on financial growth, kudos to management for letting go of CEO who was not bringing in any revenue or clients.

"I like this company right now."

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

"Improved focus on what matters"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

"Good place to start analytics career"

Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of career growth opportunities. Colleagues are smart and fun. Exposure to number of of top financial service companies

Cons

No work life balance, lots of travelling. Have to do conference calls in the night with colleagues from China or India. Struggling with transition from providing consulting service to selling products

"Doing what it takes to succeed"

Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons

1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Management

So many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

"Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it takes."

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart and talented people with constant flow of ideas. Company was started with passion and willingness to take risks. Combined leadership will provide significant strength.

Cons

There will always be cons even with the most successful companies, the most successful failed before succeeding. Some of the people have a sense of entitlement due to their unrealistic expectations that causes a negative working environment. They are quick to point fingers when times are tough, but would never be able to start a business of their own.

Advice to Management

Continue to move forward.

"NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Just like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

Cons

This transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication alive....