Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is good and a good environment to work in (in 20 reviews)

• Great work hour, work from home option (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Analyst"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Great culture, very diverse.

Cons

Not a deal breaker at all but would be nice if company bonuses were consistent.

2. "good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Analytical Lead
    Current Employee - Analytical Lead

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have flexible working hours, so you can manage your time well accordingly. The people here are all talented, and graduated from top universities, you can learn a lot from them.

Cons

project is long, skill set learnt here might not be applicable to other industry and company

3. "Analyst"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Opera Solutions as an intern

Pros

Pretty relaxed environment. Nice people and fun events.

Cons

Too little time to tell

Advice to Management

None

"Administration"

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, great staff, free snacks, in house gym and showers, and free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

Too many changes in management with little to no communication.

Advice to Management

Enhance communication.

"Great Opportunities, Flat Structure, Great People"

Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for new hires given the relatively small size of the firm.
    The structure is fairly flat, so there is immediate exposure to senior leadership
    Incredibly talented people, from a variety of backgrounds with a good blend of Consulting and Data Science expertise

Cons

Sometimes lacks structure that a lot of people look for - Opera has a start up feel to it, which may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for a traditional consulting environment ( like Deloitte, McK)

"Good company to work with"

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to apply data science to real life problems across different industries. I am also glad to have chances to learn the design of the whole end to end analytics solution. It is an exciting to work with a lot of talent people. Excellent place for career development.

Cons

Middle level management is weak. Some projects are poorly managed. The work life balance is not good if you work on those projects.

Advice to Management

Hiring good people to enhance the middle level management.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Good salary and perks. Best of talented colleagues. Lots of opportunity to learn. Excellent step in my career that provides me with a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Expect a lot of travel.

Advice to Management

Make the review process simple. Continue to focus on professional development opportunities for employees. Keep focused on financial growth, kudos to management for letting go of CEO who was not bringing in any revenue or clients.

"I like this company right now."

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

"Improved focus on what matters"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

"Good place to start analytics career"

Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of career growth opportunities. Colleagues are smart and fun. Exposure to number of of top financial service companies

Cons

No work life balance, lots of travelling. Have to do conference calls in the night with colleagues from China or India. Struggling with transition from providing consulting service to selling products