Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Working Environment, Work-Life Balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great work hour, work from home option (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, amazing colleagues and company culture, interesting work, various opportunities to work on different projects, convenient office location, free Friday lunch, tons of different office events to keep employees engaged

Cons

Work gets so busy sometimes that my team had to work through weekends/holidays, could use more middle managers to pick up the extra workload

Advice to Management

Managing client's expectations in order to regulate work hours

"Growth Opportunities are Great"

Current Employee - Director in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Flat Structure - leadership is extremely approachable. I am constantly speaking with CXOs on and off project. Very inspiring...
    2. Work directly with Client - exposure is beyond words. I have worked in ZS before - and this is markedly different here
    3. Really great team/ mentors
    4. Constant focus on learning and growth.. Happy with E3 activities that have come up...

Cons

1. No support on sales side - constantly dragged into sales support

Advice to Management

Continue to add great talent, good clients and keep up with the current momentum.

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Smart, competent people (recruit from best schools/programs in country)
    -Growing company (business opps and tech expanding rapidly)
    -Flat structure, easy to move up
    -Management gives consistent performance feedback
    -Consistently improving management (great mentorship opportunities)
    -Collegiate, social environment
    -Advancement opportunities
    -Office location (less than 20 min from most places in Manhattan)
    -Amazing work/life balance compared to competitors (hours of software company but work of a consulting firm)
    -Free Friday lunch and stocked kitchen
    -Happy hours most Fridays, social events throughout year

Cons

-Steep learning curve (responsibilities can grow quickly)
    -Little room to slack off due to small size
    -If you're looking for consistent business travel like other consultancies, there are only a few projects that require travel

Advice to Management

-Keep investing in new talent
    -Make sure to prioritize star assets
    -Expand training in Signal Hub for professional services side of business

4. "Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment is good, and boss is very nice. Work at here is flexible. Most importantly, they focus on the data science which attracts me a lot.

Cons

The location of the company is not very good, far from downtown, which means that I have to drive nearly 30 minutes to find a market. Also it is far away from my home.

Advice to Management

Everything is well done in this company so mostly there is not much to be improved. Hope you do better !

"Amazing Managers and Mentors - Great Place"

Former Employee - Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gotten a chance to work on some of the amazing projects in Airlines and Telecom Sector...
    - Was encouraged by one of the my business leader (my mentor) to work across verticals - in only two years, I got to work across two business verticals - something you rarely get a chance in any of the other firms...
    - It was really nice to speak and work directly with Client teams Opera is really cool with that actually ... [BTW, I have worked with one of the leading consulting firm in the past in New York/ Pune - there was a complete hierarchy that only Client Partners or Relationship Managers could speak to the client]
    - I have seen a huge transition in last 2 years within Opera - WITH company being completely non-transparent TO company being completely transparent now... I see emails from the CEO every Friday talking about in-depth machinery - I feel like the Management has become much more approachable in last one year...

Cons

- Mentor program could be made much more powerful.. Opera feels like a complete start-up with lot of changing things - and it is important that every employee is personally overseen and mentored by a senior team member. I think it is not difficult for every Director (AND ABOVE) to personally take care of 10 juniors...
    - HR could be made much more approachable to the ground teams

Advice to Management

Focus on People Issues

"Seems like the transformation that management keeps talking about is finally hapenning"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

- Management has become very transparent and trying to engage employees. Also increase in social budgets and new laptops is welcome
    - Interesting work - sometimes very hectic though but you get reasonable flexibility as long as you do your job
    - Exposure to clients early on is good and apparently my client is expanding the contract so probably client like us too - which is good

Cons

- Sometimes work gets hectic even with flexible hours.
    - Would like to work on other interesting projects I keep hearing about from other emplotyees but it has been difficult to roll off from my current project

Advice to Management

Keep up with what you are doing and rotate staff more often

"Fast Learning Curve, Exposure to work on Big Data - Cool Company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High Paying Job in comparison to other firms in Advanced Analytics / Big Data Space

- Flexible Work Hours - as expected when I joined Opera, I noticed that extreme care is taken to deliver exemplary work but what surprised me is that Managers here are highly flexible and sensitive to your personal time / work hours. Managers you work with are just like you - smart, Knowledgeable, witty and extremely helpful

- Focus on attracting and nurturing right talent - as a school champion, I have seen the rigor which goes into candidate interviews, and attracting right talent / mindset - an important reason which I think will keep this company ahead of market for years to come. Another interesting aspect I noticed is that mentors here keep an eye on your goals (it comes without saying that you are responsible for your on Growth, but if you have questions about what to pick, which areas to explore, there will be senior managers to guide you).

- Exposure to advanced data analytics solutions - the Big Data Platform - Signal Hub - is very powerful and unique. Also, it forms the core of company investment and rightly so, as more this platform matures, better it is for the industry and delivery teams.

- As a Company DNA, Opera only attracts smart and bright candidates, so high-quality deliverable is never an issue.

- Exposure to work with Market Leaders across Industries - the accounts are pretty big and are market leaders. It feels comforting when you notice that you are the science behind lot of campaigns ongoing in the market - it is like "INTEL INSIDE" :)

Cons

- As widely discussed, this company has made a transition from Consulting to Big Data firm, and it has both pros and cons - pros being that there is emphasis on Problem Solving, Discussions and Ideas. The Con is that sometimes it does not feel right to invest time in problem solving every minor detail. It is too much of intellectual concentration - which sometimes seem to be distracted by focus on over-solving EVERY problem.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on sales and expand work with other large companies (I am sure this might be already being done, but thought I should outline).
    2) Start Certification Programs with External Vendors - SAS, R etc.

"Detailed Notes on my experiences with Opera"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail:

1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool.

2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource.

3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers.

4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream.

5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder.

6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome.

7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better.

I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....

Cons

No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are:

1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you.

2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used.

3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave.
    2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons)

Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.

9. "Best-positioned company in Big Data analytics space"

Current Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to be part of the most advanced company in the exploding Big Data arena
    Great people - accomplished, intelligent, fun
    Chance to be part of fluid, entrepreneurial culture, bring great products to new markets, and get in on ground floor of the Big Data economy

Cons

Definite growing pains - particularly in shedding the old consulting values and approaches
    Some grumpy and cynical old-style consultants who create a lot of noise and won't get on the new bandwagon
    Company has grown so fast that its processes and infrastructure have not kept up - it's harder to get things done than it should be

Advice to Management

What the company represents in the market, and the traction it's gaining, is real. But management needs to do a better job of communicating it all internally, especially to the few folks who just don't "get it" and are creating a lot of needless angst.

10. "A fun place to work with a lot of smart peers and solid management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

All the people I work with are extremely bright and I can learn a lot from them. Also, there are no egos. We're all trying to accomplish the same thing and more focused on the pioneering and outcome rather than individual praise. If you work hard, you get noticed because there is a high degree of visibility. Also there are good perks like friday lunches, happy hours, access to the MSG box, etc.

Cons

Their benefits package is not the best. Also, there is sometimes chaos working in a start-up type environment. Typical growing pains.