Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good Working Environment, Work-Life Balance (in 17 reviews)

• Flexi timings and work from home are some of the great policies (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Finally, something may change!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO, good news, even if he is bad, can't be worse than the previous one!
    The last one was a complete waste of time and money.
    It may be too late for us, but we can try to the end.

Cons

All the good people gone, some of the bad people are still around.

Advice to Management

Clean up some of the bad management that is still with us. They "talk good" but can't deliver.
    Go back to our roots: Consulting.

"A OK company but not good."

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many smart people in the company. Projects are diverse, and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Poor management. Policies keeps changing, e.g., the bonus. I have never received bonus in 2 years. Many times the promises are simply promises (and never come true). Bad benefit.

"It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises."

Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

Cons

Company description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Advice to Management

Resign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

"Bad management is killing the company"

Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

Cons

Bad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Advice to Management

Treat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

"Turning the Corner with Momentum Building"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Advice to Management

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

"Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Advice to Management

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

"You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Advice to Management

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.

"We just hit an iceberg - quick, let's rearrange the deck chairs!"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright and diligent Business Analysts, Data Science pros, and interesting client projects to service. Very effective marketing team.

Cons

- Senior management infighting
    - Lurching from funding round to funding round in choppy waters makes the oarsmen seasick

Advice to Management

Senior management infighting over limited resources leads to failure. Would suggest that investors clean house, but since most of the best talent has already left the company, likely too little too late.

10. "Top Management needs major changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning environment and to get your feet wet so you can prepare yourself to jump ship for better opportunity.

Cons

Too much internal rift between the departments is pulling the company apart. Considering its still a small to medium sized company which is still trying to get out of the start-up mode it should set it priorities straight. Instead of concentrating on what’s good for the company and being responsible/reasonable, top management is fighting internal/personal battles. Some top managers also have pompous attitude, but in fact they don’t have the knowledge or the experience. Also I know my department head would lie to me from time to time. The top leadership of the company wastes money like drunken alcoholics, and then when the funds are running low, they start lay off employees.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the party spend the $$ and then file for bankruptcy. Unless all management changes, who want the company to survive.

"Interesting, enlightening, exciting, somewhat unfulfilling, wonderful people to work with"

Current Employee - Management in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Management in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big data space is very hot!!!, good product brand, emerging analytics products

Cons

Weak Sr. Management Team, poor financial management, continual changes in direction, limited staff development

Advice to Management

More focus on developing, retaining, and rewarding good staff!!!