Opera Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated December 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is good and a good environment to work in (in 20 reviews)

• Great work hour, work from home option (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can vary from being awesome to being awful (in 10 reviews)

• IT/Technology - Being a big data company, there is no understanding or expertise in hadoop/computer architecture (in 12 reviews)

"Poor work environment"

Pros

Blue Chip Clients base. Reasonably good science base.

Cons

Lack of transparency from management.

"A day late, $114M short..."

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Bright folks before layoffs and mass exodus
    Friday lunch / office snacks

Cons

Bleak outlook for most verticals
    No visibility into reviews, promotions, or bonus structure
    Claims to be a products company when there is very little sw development expertise
    Every year becomes the "worst year" for the firm
    Change of direction every quarter is not yielding required results

Advice to Management

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's not a products company
    Former CEO involvement may hinder progress

3. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Personal Growth and huge learning

Cons

Need some training session for employees

"Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it takes."

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart and talented people with constant flow of ideas. Company was started with passion and willingness to take risks. Combined leadership will provide significant strength.

Cons

There will always be cons even with the most successful companies, the most successful failed before succeeding. Some of the people have a sense of entitlement due to their unrealistic expectations that causes a negative working environment. They are quick to point fingers when times are tough, but would never be able to start a business of their own.

Advice to Management

Continue to move forward.

"A Grand Wasted Opportunity"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was given the opportunity to work with some of the smartest, creative, and talented colleagues ever. Opera's diverse set of clients allows analysts and scientists to hone many skills. The previous out-of-control CEO was finally replaced by someone who seems very competent and understands how to think strategically. Opera's pay is above average, but you'll work for it.

Cons

There are so many: the perpetually late (and highly opaque) review cycles whose results are often released when the next cycle is supposed to begin; the lack of strategic development of products that led to massive waste in capital and human potential; promised incentives that were never delivered; a sales staff that doesn't understand what is being promised or delivered; a 24/7 expected work environment that burns out employees; most of the best people have already left the company.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises to clients or employees that cannot be kept. Need more transparency in performance review and incentive pay.

"Chaotic, political and lack of integrity in the sales process"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Intelligent workforce, competitive compensation, significant buzz in indistry

Cons

political and toxic work environment, poor man management, lack of integrity in the sales process

Advice to Management

The high turnover and past shortcomings with major clients demonstrates that management needs to be more realistic and less desparate when selling new accounts and more importantly treat middle-management and other staff with more professionalism.

"NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Just like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

Cons

This transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication alive....

"Amazing people, chaotic direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Opera is very flexible. They have big dreams and investors with deep pockets. It has the feel of a start up but slightly more stability. They pay very competitively and the people I've worked with have been fantastic.

Cons

Management is shifting, as of May 2014, they have a new CEO. He seems very capable and will hopefully turn around the chaos. Before the company seemed content to half-commit to too many different directions. Marching orders often changed and there was virtually no accountability. They're working really hard to clean this up now, and the future does have tons of potential

Advice to Management

There seems to be a greater need to accountability and a more formal channel for people to talk about their supervisors if they see mismanagement and waste.

"Getting better!"

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New upper management. Seems like they’re starting to listen to their staff and making real changes, starting at the top. New CEO seems to be focused on communication and transparency with weekly emails, which is greatly needed. I’m encouraged by his approach to take stock of the company and fill us in on his findings as he goes. I have high hopes for him and believe he’ll be able to effect real change.

Cons

Many processes are still too slow. Middle and upper management needs to provide more timely feedback and communication for staff.

Advice to Management

Try to remember your people are your greatest asset. “Thank you” and honest communication about next steps regarding promotions, projects, and reassignments go a long way. Even if you don’t have the answers we want, letting us know where you are in the process is a step in the right direction.

Advice to fellow employees: This company hires a lot of people fresh out of school, which means they’re young millennials with high (unrealistic) expectations and little perspective. While things at Opera have not been perfect, they could be so much worse. We’ve gone through a huge transition — or three — but I’ll take that over a “this is the way it’s always been done” mentality any day.

"Great People. Terrible Company & Management."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you will work with (especially at Manager and below levels) are wonderful, creative & very smart.
    You can (on occasion) get exposed to interesting problems at blue-chip clients and because there's very little organization there's an opportunity to step up
    New CEO (Bernhard Namm) is an excellent human being. Honest, smart, clear in his ideas and very cognizant of the multitude of problems the company has. I wish him the best but worry that he has inherited a poisoned chalice

Cons

In one word: Arnab Gupta (owner and previous CEO)
    By most accounts he's interested in 'big ideas' and his own bottom line but does not have the temperament or will to build a real organization that supports its employees and focuses only on those problems for which we are best suited
    Management has been a mess, part of it is that they are way out of their depth and that their positions have been earned through loyalty rather than merit

Advice to Management

Empower Bernhard, he's the right leader with the right ideas. Become very focused in what we do and pay a lot more attention to internal talent management before everybody in the US office leaves.

Opera Solutions Response

Apr 28, 2014 – Manager

Thank you for your review. We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on Bernhard and are excited about the new clarity he is bringing and will continue to bring to the organization. But your... More