Opower Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

5.0
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Worked with some amazingly smart people who truly believed in company mission (in 21 reviews)

• excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse (in 14 reviews)

• Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match (in 14 reviews)

"Good"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA

Pros

Very good and flexible working environment

Cons

I am not sure about cons

Advice to Management

NA

"Great Growth Potential - Super Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I LOVE it here! Ever since coming to Opower I've been mentored by my team and am constantly being challenged. They are open to new ideas and new ways of looking at things, and never settle for the "way it's always been done". I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here.

It also doesn't hurt that they have some really great perks; dogs in the office, massages, free lunches on Friday, and so many other seemingly small things but things that add up and make it an environment you want to be in. It's not the free lunch that makes me stay here, it's the job and the mission. Couple that with great people and puppies... enough said.

Cons

We work some long hours at times and that can sometimes just be the job. But it's it's not all the time and it's pretty predictable which makes it manageable.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest with your employees and tell us what's going on. Otherwise there are just rumors and hearsay.

"Awesome work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great salary, unlimited PTO (as of 2016), a lot of awesome, relaxed people, but there's still the constant drive and motivation to perform and contribute to your fullest.

Cons

Still a young company - there's been a lot of employee turnover in the last 6 months but they've hired really strong new talent. There's also a good number of veterans still here. So maybe that's actually a pro.

"Opower"

Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opower was a great place to work. The company was a fast moving, meritocracy, where smart people did good work. I enjoyed my coworkers and the challenges of the day.

Cons

The company was a little political. Decisions were centralized and required you knowing and having a connection to the right person.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You've been leading the company in the right strategic direction and are doing a good job of attracting high quality workers.

Feb 29, 2016 – People Team Representative

Thank you for your time at Opower and for sharing your feedback!

"Great workplace with super smart people and fun perks!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Opower in 2015 and have had a really great experience. I love my team and really respect and appreciate all of my colleagues. It sounds silly but everyone is very professional, doesn't gossip, and actually makes an effort to engage not just at work but on personal stuff when appropriate. I like that everyone works very hard, but is not afraid to laugh and have some fun while getting the job done. It's a tight ship with high standards, ambitious goals and deadlines, but if you're smart, driven and dedicated, you will be successful and inspired by the results and the opportunity to do really great work with great people.
    Best Perks: Dog friendly, unlimited paid time off, on-site massage!!! Lounges, lunch rooms, a library, subsidized parking, gym subsidy, healthy snacks, good coffee, bubbly water, ripe avocados and fruit for the snagging (gnom, gnom, gnom), stand up desks, and lots of creative swag!

Cons

I'm really happy to be working here. For a young and growing company, Opower shows all the signs of being on an exciting and positive path forward. The building in SF just repealed their dog friendliness so that's a bummer, but that is outside of the company's control. I also wish there were more conference space as it's sometimes hard to find a room for meetings as most everything is open space.

Jan 27, 2016 – People Team Representative

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We’re happy to hear that you’re thriving at Opower. We work hard at providing a positive and inspiring environment for all O’s across the globe... More

6. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Intern - Summer Ossociate in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Summer Ossociate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

* Friendly, engaged, sharp people * Collaborative workplace culture * People really do live the values * Good compensation * Entrepreneurial atmosphere * Excellent social environment and office perks * High expectations, but surprisingly good work-life balance!

Cons

* Definitely a startup feel, so business processes are not as stable as what you would find at more mature companies FWIW * Some uncertainty around figuring out how to expand/redefine the value offering beyond the original products

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! IMHO you've done a great job of building a workplace where people really believe in the Opower mission, and this will make all the difference in dealing with the short-term challenges.

Jan 5, 2016 – People Team Representative

Thank you for the feedback and for choosing us for your internship. We're happy that you enjoyed your experience.

"Wonderful Place To Work; Hard to Get In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of the caveat "for the DC area" when descrbing Opower, and that feels fair. Salary ranges seem competitive for DC while benefits and other perks are outstanding. People bring their pets to the office which makes every day fun, and the snacks are varied, delicios, and the right blend of healthy and terrible for you. Teams are allowed to budget for off-site excursions that range from outdoor ropes courses to nice dinners, and most departments exercise some fomr of inter-departmental comradery.

Cons

With a huge office in SF it's impossible not to compare our salaries and benfits against theirs regionally, and DC-side that's where some of the competive edge is lost. A lot of talent moves out to SF for this reason, leaving a bit of a drain on some aspects of the DC office. And since our benefits aren't always as great as in SF, there has been some loss of talent. Also, the interview process could use some work. By many accounts it's grueling, and while it's important to get the best possible feel for a candidate's talents and skills, there is so much on-the-job learning that maybe some of it can be left for later.

Advice to Management

Talent retention is a priority. Some improved benefits across the board would be nice, though it is not particularly dire. Let's not rely so much on our fun atmosphere, strong culture, and wacky events to drive interest in potential employees; instead, let's lead the pack in salaries, parental leave, 401k matching, etc.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

- meaningful and high-impact mission
    - great well-lit office with open floor plan
    - excellent benefits & vacation
    - lots of free food & fun activities
    - coworkers are smart and friendly
    - nice equipment for engineers (top of the line MBP with 3 monitors, standing desk, ergo KB/mouse)
    - excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to)

Cons

- software is a bit hacky and not truly SaaS
    - lot of office politics and too many meetings about meetings
    - overly focused on process improvement
    - too much reorganization
    - typical growing pains of startup

Advice to Management

Talk less and do more.

"Great Place to Work - People, Mission, Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and encouraging work environment with a great team of people. Very smart and passionate employees who care about each other and the companies success. Its a fun place to work, and offers a ton of opportunity to learn and develop in areas of your interests. Has a sense of team effort to continuing to grow the company and generate results.

Cons

No 401k match
    Salary could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"Opower is great for interns!"

Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, smart people everywhere, cute puppies, free food, lots of activities and a lot of room to grow. You can learn a lot from people who are always willing to be helpful and collaborative. My team is amazing and I really enjoy helping others through my work here. Even as an intern, I have just as much responsibility on my shoulders as the rest of my team and serve a very important role. I also like that my work is appreciated and that I am pushed to bring ideas and help make this place better even though I'm "just an intern". Thanks for providing a great hands on internship!

Cons

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about Opower.

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging and great role models for interns.

Mar 24, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to Opower and the Ossociates program! Thanks for such a great review.