Opower Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

3.7
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Worked with some amazingly smart people who truly believed in company mission (in 21 reviews)

• excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse (in 14 reviews)

• Now has been acquired by Oracle (in 5 reviews)

"OPOWER -- hyper-growth cash flow positive startup having a hugely positive impact on the environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

OPOWER has a terrific culture, a great mission, and is a fun place to work. We're growing like crazy, and we're doing so by having a strong positive impact on emissions. As we grow past one hundred employees tens of millions in revenue, we're providing the same emissions reduction as 1/3 of the entire US solar industry.

Cons

It's a startup, so you have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and solve problems from the ground up. Very little is spoon fed here -- you have to own your work and take responsibility for the good and the bad.

Advice to Management

I'm a member of the management, so I don't think I should be giving myself advice on a public website. :-)

"The people are nice."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The best reason to work at OPOWER are the startup culture, the nice managers, and the friendliness of the employees.

Cons

The downside of working at OPOWER is that it is growing so fast that there are some real culture and process issues from the difference generations of employees.

Advice to Management

I would tell them to try to better structure departments and define roles. It can be hard to keep employees if they end up doing work different from what they were hired to do or are put so far out of their comfort zone, they are destined to fail.

"Passionate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The people are all A-list and care about at least one of the two aspects of the dual bottom-line mission: profit and energy use reduction. The CEO & President genuinely care about everyone in the company. The stocked breakroom, group lunches, various clubs, and happy hours are a plus.

Cons

Over the past two years, the coupany has tripled in number of employees. Perhaps because of this, politics between parts of the company has ranged from confusing to nasty in the past few months. Some middle-managers are more focused about their rank and position when they should be supporting people on their team or focusing on bottom-line results. The result is an environment is one where lower-level employees tend to get things done despite their respective bosses as well as a bit of fear.

Advice to Management

Dan and Alex should take a hard look and their second-level direct reports and ask not only if they have the technical skills but the people skills for a growing company.

4. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

amazing people, some of the smartest I've ever encountered professionally

Cons

lots of new faces and it became tough to keep track of everyone. good problem to have though.

5. "Fun, exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, competent, and fun. The work is interesting, and I feel good about the results - I'm helping people learn more about their energy use and empowering people to save money and save the environment.

Cons

Depending on your position, you might work long hours.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture like a tech start-up. Work-life balance is good and some of the smartest people you will meet. Fun work for a great cause.

Cons

Low pay compared to competitors.

7. "Oh, power to be your best."

Current Contractor - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opower recruits from the A-list of talent.

Cons

This team executes swiftly, bring your running shoes.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best.

8. "Opower is a whole company full of the smartest people you will ever know."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

culture is fun and exciting, its a company that is very clearly about so much more than making a profit, it has a mission you can actually get behind. best group of people to work with.

Cons

there is so much work to be done that its hard to know when to stop some days...

Advice to Management

try to keep the level of open communication as much of a reality as we continue to grow as you have for the last five years

9. "Opower is Owesome!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome & unique culture, wicked smart, collaborative & passionate employees, great perks/pay/benefits, transparent & approachable senior leaders

Cons

Hyper growth means increased volume. You must work hard to work at Opower

Advice to Management

Continue to consider every employee's perspective, regardless of tenure, level, etc & always communicate down.

"Once a great place to work"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

You can feel good that the work you do helps people save energy, and through that, helps protect the natural environment.

Cons

A lot of mediocre managers, no real career path/growth/opportunities, no real HR department, no 401(k) match, unimpressive salaries and stock options, very little diversity, headquarters is in suburban Virginia.

Advice to Management

Hire more grown-ups who know how to inspire, motivate, and manage staff. Be less passive-aggressive when working assumptions are challenged. Add women/people of color/gays to your all-male management team.