Opower Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • The company was a fast moving, meritocracy, where smart people did good work (in 21 reviews)

• excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse (in 14 reviews)

• Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match (in 14 reviews)

1. "Accoutnant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great experiences and I learned a lot. Great environment where they always have free food avilable and many events

Cons

Ability for growth is somewhat limited. Salary is not competitive and work from home should be more of an option

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great environment where they always have free food available and many events. Find a way to make the salary more competitive for employees

"Skip it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people smart and nice
    - Flexible work environment (easy to work from home)
    - Compensation starts out pretty good (but don't look for it to go anywhere)

Cons

- Apathy is fairly widespread
    - Promotions and raises are a joke, based mostly on popularity, the popularity of your manager, or the dedication of your manager to do right by you. This cycle, leadership decided on promotions without even holding a review cycle - and this was after crazy attrition and people feeling like management is checked out. The opportunity to recover loyalty even a little bit was totally missed.

Advice to Management

- Focus on employee engagement. Post acquisition, management has been even more hands off, which is exactly the wrong direction. Unless they just don't care, which could easily be the case.

"A great company that is slowly changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart, passionate, (somewhat) diverse people
    - Solid work-life balance
    - Mostly good managers, not too difficult to switch teams if projects get boring

Cons

- The best people have left or are planning on leaving
    - Passion is slowly but surely being replaced by complacency and apathy
    - Leadership paralyzed by bureaucracy, unable to set a concrete vision that people feel passionately about
    - Don't expect great raises

"RUN ... don't walk ... AWAY from Opower / Oracle!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower (More than a year)

Pros

BEFORE ACQUISITION (January 2016):
    Opower was thriving (or so we were led to believe). We had great products in place, new ideas on the horizon, and talented, motivated, and passionate individuals who truly believed in the environmental and social mission of Opower. My colleagues and peers were some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. And you felt like you were working towards something - saving energy, changing human behavior, etc. The culture and environment created by the Oployees was contagious and it was a happy place to be.

And of course the perks (NOT to be confused with culture): dogs in the office, free snacks, catered Friday lunches, massages, unlimited PTO, commuter + gym benefits.

Cons

I can sum it up shortly with a quote from one of my favorite movies, Mean Girls, when Regina George tells Gretchen Weiners: "Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen."
    Dan, Oracle is never going to "happen" for the talented, dedicated, and passionate team your people built.

JANUARY - MARCH 2016
    Our stock price takes a nose dive, the earnings call is horrendous. And things start to change. Maybe in hindsight I should've seen the sale coming, but the passion and enthusiasm from the CEO never waned and so like cattle, we got in line and believed the BS coming out of his mouth.

APRIL 2016
    Layoffs happen at the beginning of April. We dump over $1million in salaries/benefits/etc. Still, we are told not to panic. It needed to happen. Delivery teams were overstaffed, engineering projects had come to close and it was time to deliver. Everything was still supposedly great. Our CEO even actively went out of his way to assure certain teams there jobs were safe. The heart, soul, and culture of the company were hanging on by a thread.

MAY 2016 - AUGUST 2016
    Oracle buys Opower. Everything Opower stands for is crushed by a behemoth of a company that has no plans to continue our environmental mission. Google Oracle. See how many multi-million and billion dollar lawsuits they are a part of. CEO STILL convinced things will operate as usual, despite a complete change in culture, benefits, structure (550 employees to 130,000). Heart, soul, culture = destroyed. Morale is worse than in the toilet. There is none. People either come into work late and leave early, don't come in at all, or spend their days looking for new jobs and interviewing. People aren't even secretive about their desire to leave the company.

Individuals on the G&A team are told they won't have jobs. But, over and over again, like a broken record, by both the CEO and CFO tell us our short term contracts will a) match our current salaries and b) have lucrative retention bonuses to "make it worth our while to stay." It's promised to some. Both of these things ended up being a complete and utter lie. And so now most of the G&A staff is stuck in non-incentivized contracts at a longer term than originally guaranteed.

PRESENT:
    If you join "Opower" aka Oracle these are things you will NOT get: clarity. A+ level colleagues (think B-). Top of the line / current technology and systems (goodbye fast and nimble systems we would constantly invest in, hello systems from 2000). Bureaucracy. Oh my Bureaucracy.

People are leaving in droves - all the smart, talented, passionate people I previously described are gone or on their way out. If you are smart, passionate, and looking for a fun, mission-oriented company, this is no longer the place for you.

Advice to Management

Please don't pretend like you can relate to your badly burned, scorned, disenchanted employees whose faces you lied to on a weekly basis for 4 full months. Don't pretend like you understand and can relate to the impact changes in benefits and lack of PROMISED incentivized short-term contracts have on your people (looking at you, CEO, and CFO). You're sitting on millions (CEO: $85 million from sale) while we're sitting on poor short term contracts with poor severance.

"Good"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA

Pros

Very good and flexible working environment

Cons

I am not sure about cons

Advice to Management

NA

"Great Growth Potential - Super Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I LOVE it here! Ever since coming to Opower I've been mentored by my team and am constantly being challenged. They are open to new ideas and new ways of looking at things, and never settle for the "way it's always been done". I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here.

It also doesn't hurt that they have some really great perks; dogs in the office, massages, free lunches on Friday, and so many other seemingly small things but things that add up and make it an environment you want to be in. It's not the free lunch that makes me stay here, it's the job and the mission. Couple that with great people and puppies... enough said.

Cons

We work some long hours at times and that can sometimes just be the job. But it's it's not all the time and it's pretty predictable which makes it manageable.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest with your employees and tell us what's going on. Otherwise there are just rumors and hearsay.

"Out of Control"

Former Employee - Accountant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

I learned a lot while I was there and always felt comfortable to be myself.

Cons

Initial starting salaries are usually good, but raises are consistently well-below market value. The accounting department is expected to devote their lives to the company, working nights and weekends regularly. But none of this is taken into account when it comes to compensation or promotions. If you do decide to work here as an accountant, expect to be over-worked and under-paid. A few of the mid-level managers are great, but powerless to do anything to help as they are also being taken advantage of by the upper-level management.

The company has major issues on a broader level as well. There is absolutely no transparency from upper management. Diversity here is a joke. Members of the executive board regularly make inappropriate comments to female employees. They try to cover up all of these issues with champagne celebrations and extravagant happy hours, but when the stock price has plummeted and they are still not profitable, it feels inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Resign and let real executives who actually know how to run a company step in.

Apr 19, 2016 – Director, Talent Acquisition

We’re glad to hear you had a good learning experience during your tenure, and want to offer some comments with regards to compensation. Opower’s HR team rigorously benchmarks compensation each year ... More

"Awesome work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great salary, unlimited PTO (as of 2016), a lot of awesome, relaxed people, but there's still the constant drive and motivation to perform and contribute to your fullest.

Cons

Still a young company - there's been a lot of employee turnover in the last 6 months but they've hired really strong new talent. There's also a good number of veterans still here. So maybe that's actually a pro.

"Opower"

Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opower was a great place to work. The company was a fast moving, meritocracy, where smart people did good work. I enjoyed my coworkers and the challenges of the day.

Cons

The company was a little political. Decisions were centralized and required you knowing and having a connection to the right person.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You've been leading the company in the right strategic direction and are doing a good job of attracting high quality workers.

Feb 29, 2016 – People Team Representative

Thank you for your time at Opower and for sharing your feedback!

"Great workplace with super smart people and fun perks!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Opower in 2015 and have had a really great experience. I love my team and really respect and appreciate all of my colleagues. It sounds silly but everyone is very professional, doesn't gossip, and actually makes an effort to engage not just at work but on personal stuff when appropriate. I like that everyone works very hard, but is not afraid to laugh and have some fun while getting the job done. It's a tight ship with high standards, ambitious goals and deadlines, but if you're smart, driven and dedicated, you will be successful and inspired by the results and the opportunity to do really great work with great people.
    Best Perks: Dog friendly, unlimited paid time off, on-site massage!!! Lounges, lunch rooms, a library, subsidized parking, gym subsidy, healthy snacks, good coffee, bubbly water, ripe avocados and fruit for the snagging (gnom, gnom, gnom), stand up desks, and lots of creative swag!

Cons

I'm really happy to be working here. For a young and growing company, Opower shows all the signs of being on an exciting and positive path forward. The building in SF just repealed their dog friendliness so that's a bummer, but that is outside of the company's control. I also wish there were more conference space as it's sometimes hard to find a room for meetings as most everything is open space.

Jan 27, 2016 – People Team Representative

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We’re happy to hear that you’re thriving at Opower. We work hard at providing a positive and inspiring environment for all O’s across the globe ... More