Opower Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • The company was a fast moving, meritocracy, where smart people did good work (in 21 reviews)

• excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse (in 14 reviews)

• Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match (in 14 reviews)

1. "Director, Product Management"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing team, product / company truly changing the world.

Cons

Growing pains of fast-growing company.
    Now has been acquired by Oracle

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of Opower intact post-acquisition

2. "Accoutnant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great experiences and I learned a lot. Great environment where they always have free food avilable and many events

Cons

Ability for growth is somewhat limited. Salary is not competitive and work from home should be more of an option

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great environment where they always have free food available and many events. Find a way to make the salary more competitive for employees

"Skip it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people smart and nice
    - Flexible work environment (easy to work from home)
    - Compensation starts out pretty good (but don't look for it to go anywhere)

Cons

- Apathy is fairly widespread
    - Promotions and raises are a joke, based mostly on popularity, the popularity of your manager, or the dedication of your manager to do right by you. This cycle, leadership decided on promotions without even holding a review cycle - and this was after crazy attrition and people feeling like management is checked out. The opportunity to recover loyalty even a little bit was totally missed.

Advice to Management

- Focus on employee engagement. Post acquisition, management has been even more hands off, which is exactly the wrong direction. Unless they just don't care, which could easily be the case.

"Software Engineer in Test"

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still have snacks and a few smart people.

Cons

Recently acquired by Oracle. This place used to be great with lots of talent and hardworking people who loved our mission. In an effort to save the company in tanking market and dropping stock prices, the CEO made the decision to sell the company to Oracle. This went against everything Opower's mission was about and thus caused an attrition rate like Oracle has never seen before. The people lost trust in the company, the mission, and its leaders and continue to leave faster than Oracle can rehire. There is still work to be done, but just not enough people to do it. There are a few people left trying their best to keep morale up, but it is too little, too late.

"A great company that is slowly changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart, passionate, (somewhat) diverse people
    - Solid work-life balance
    - Mostly good managers, not too difficult to switch teams if projects get boring

Cons

- The best people have left or are planning on leaving
    - Passion is slowly but surely being replaced by complacency and apathy
    - Leadership paralyzed by bureaucracy, unable to set a concrete vision that people feel passionately about
    - Don't expect great raises

7. "Best Tech Company in DC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A little slice of SF in the nation's capital. Competitive salaries, with many of the west coast perks you see in the HBO show, Silicon Valley (free massages, Friday lunch, etc). More importantly, you get to grapple with real challenges and design solutions few others have thought about.

Cons

Millennial workforce, which means that everybody else think they can do your job, and better. Hard to compete for resources in SF, but in DC it was the best game in town. Currently part of Oracle, and it remains to be seen if they will harness and nurture all the cool stuff we had.

Advice to Management

Accept your position of authority and tell entitled employees to grow up.

"The big bleed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Not a whole lot anymore. The company sold out and all of the talent is leaving. The existing employees at Oracle seem displaced while the OPower team bleeds out into nothing. Only people remaining are there because of golden handcuffs, not because they want to be.

Cons

Read all of the other reviews. Anything I say is only redundant.

Advice to Management

Not much to say. You sold out and made money while we are being herded around like cattle. Stop pretending that you care about our purpose that attracted us this long.

"Good"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Arlington, VA

Pros

Very good and flexible working environment

Cons

I am not sure about cons

Advice to Management

NA

"RUN ... don't walk ... AWAY from Opower / Oracle!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower (More than a year)

Pros

BEFORE ACQUISITION (January 2016):
    Opower was thriving (or so we were led to believe). We had great products in place, new ideas on the horizon, and talented, motivated, and passionate individuals who truly believed in the environmental and social mission of Opower. My colleagues and peers were some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. And you felt like you were working towards something - saving energy, changing human behavior, etc. The culture and environment created by the Oployees was contagious and it was a happy place to be.

And of course the perks (NOT to be confused with culture): dogs in the office, free snacks, catered Friday lunches, massages, unlimited PTO, commuter + gym benefits.

Cons

I can sum it up shortly with a quote from one of my favorite movies, Mean Girls, when Regina George tells Gretchen Weiners: "Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen."
    Dan, Oracle is never going to "happen" for the talented, dedicated, and passionate team your people built.

JANUARY - MARCH 2016
    Our stock price takes a nose dive, the earnings call is horrendous. And things start to change. Maybe in hindsight I should've seen the sale coming, but the passion and enthusiasm from the CEO never waned and so like cattle, we got in line and believed the BS coming out of his mouth.

APRIL 2016
    Layoffs happen at the beginning of April. We dump over $1million in salaries/benefits/etc. Still, we are told not to panic. It needed to happen. Delivery teams were overstaffed, engineering projects had come to close and it was time to deliver. Everything was still supposedly great. Our CEO even actively went out of his way to assure certain teams there jobs were safe. The heart, soul, and culture of the company were hanging on by a thread.

MAY 2016 - AUGUST 2016
    Oracle buys Opower. Everything Opower stands for is crushed by a behemoth of a company that has no plans to continue our environmental mission. Google Oracle. See how many multi-million and billion dollar lawsuits they are a part of. CEO STILL convinced things will operate as usual, despite a complete change in culture, benefits, structure (550 employees to 130,000). Heart, soul, culture = destroyed. Morale is worse than in the toilet. There is none. People either come into work late and leave early, don't come in at all, or spend their days looking for new jobs and interviewing. People aren't even secretive about their desire to leave the company.

Individuals on the G&A team are told they won't have jobs. But, over and over again, like a broken record, by both the CEO and CFO tell us our short term contracts will a) match our current salaries and b) have lucrative retention bonuses to "make it worth our while to stay." It's promised to some. Both of these things ended up being a complete and utter lie. And so now most of the G&A staff is stuck in non-incentivized contracts at a longer term than originally guaranteed.

PRESENT:
    If you join "Opower" aka Oracle these are things you will NOT get: clarity. A+ level colleagues (think B-). Top of the line / current technology and systems (goodbye fast and nimble systems we would constantly invest in, hello systems from 2000). Bureaucracy. Oh my Bureaucracy.

People are leaving in droves - all the smart, talented, passionate people I previously described are gone or on their way out. If you are smart, passionate, and looking for a fun, mission-oriented company, this is no longer the place for you.

Advice to Management

Please don't pretend like you can relate to your badly burned, scorned, disenchanted employees whose faces you lied to on a weekly basis for 4 full months. Don't pretend like you understand and can relate to the impact changes in benefits and lack of PROMISED incentivized short-term contracts have on your people (looking at you, CEO, and CFO). You're sitting on millions (CEO: $85 million from sale) while we're sitting on poor short term contracts with poor severance.

"Great Growth Potential - Super Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I LOVE it here! Ever since coming to Opower I've been mentored by my team and am constantly being challenged. They are open to new ideas and new ways of looking at things, and never settle for the "way it's always been done". I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here.

It also doesn't hurt that they have some really great perks; dogs in the office, massages, free lunches on Friday, and so many other seemingly small things but things that add up and make it an environment you want to be in. It's not the free lunch that makes me stay here, it's the job and the mission. Couple that with great people and puppies... enough said.

Cons

We work some long hours at times and that can sometimes just be the job. But it's it's not all the time and it's pretty predictable which makes it manageable.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest with your employees and tell us what's going on. Otherwise there are just rumors and hearsay.