Opower Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2020

3.7
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here(in 21 reviews)

• "Competitive salaries, with many of the west coast perks you see in the HBO show, Silicon Valley (free massages, Friday lunch, etc)(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just(in 15 reviews)

• "Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great company with a great mission

Aug 30, 2018 - Implementation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone was friendly to work with. Surprisingly well run as a company.

Cons

Not sure how their culture has changed after being acquired by Oracle. Betting it was for the worse.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic: If you don't like it they will happily find someone to replace you!

Apr 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Please read my thoughts below

Cons

Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life. Much like a toxic relationship, it was so surreal that it took distance to recognize how manipulative and evil it was. This is no longer a startup that cares about the environment or your career development. Product teams called "tribes" as in tribal warfare, were organized to fight against each other for resources or to get initiatives on the sacred roadmap. It was impossible to get anything built because the engineering teams were incorrectly staffed. The development department is a poster child for "full stack dilettante" any specialization was circa 1990. User testing, research, and data science are nonexistent, they fired that entire department before the acquisition, all that's left is a shell of its former self. The design and engineering teams, operate like a molasses waterfall. Management will lie to you about promotions here and there, oh next year we'll have the budget. They'll also interview prospective hires, tell them the job has closed, then weeks later tell them it's open again. The only way to become promoted is by sheer chance or by counter offering. Expect to be stuck on the one project forever. Want to take initiative and lead another project? They'll hire someone else to do that and keep you in your silo. On the plus side: the nice thing about the level of effort expected is you did not need to show up for work. So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just… work from home… Think you can use google drive, or dropbox, or anything modern? Think again! Oracle's tyrannical stronghold on being a monolith extends into its totalitarian culture: home brewed horrifying mail client from 1990 check, oradocs (aka bad google drive which misplaces documents) check, impossible to use expense reporting tool check.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be a good place to work

Mar 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent starting pay. Experience working on interesting projects. Mostly smart and fun people to work with. Good benefits (flex time, work from home, unlimited PTO for managers).

Cons

Tons of people still leaving and morale is low. Oracle is slow to replace or not replacing all the people who left so every one is overworked. Very slow and inefficient processes. Managers are clueless about what's happening in the trenches. Lack of consistent performance reviews and feedback. No raises or incentives. No growth for more experienced people. Oracle killed the Opower culture and now it's like working in 90s corporate America. Too many meetings and power points filled with buzzwords. Products and internal tools are buggy and lack continued innovation. Politics and favoritism at higher levels and lack of diversity in senior management.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good people, good mission

Sep 3, 2019 - Client Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great people who care passionately about energy efficiency. -Good medical benefits and leave policy once you hit manager or above

Cons

-your happiness will depend heavily on which team you get staffed on. There are some highly under-resourced teams that result in frustration and burn-out among employees.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Smart People, Interesting Work

Mar 19, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I worked at Opower I felt like I was surrounded by smart people. Most engineers were very competent and very engaged in their jobs.

Cons

The pace of change at Opower was glacial. It took a long time to release new products, and the company was large enough (even before being acquired by Oracle) that I didn't feel empowered to change the organization. I was frustrated by the review and promotion process. My boss agreed that I met all the documented points to be promoted to the next level of engineer, but I had to wait a further two more review rounds to receive the promotion. This was my reason for leaving.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best place I've ever worked

Feb 3, 2016 - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every day at Opower was inspiring - the people are smart, new ideas are always being brought to the table, and everyone is motivated to do their best work because the company is doing good things for the world. People take each other seriously at work but also have so much in common that you end up with many friends outside of the office, and those relationships range across all levels - I count my old manager as one of my closest friends and will always turn to some of the company's senior leadership for life and career advice.

Cons

Though things settled down a bit post-IPO, I'd still say work/life balance is tough at Opower. People work hard because they love what they do, but they're still working really, really hard. Also, the transition from one primary product line to multiple product lines has been rocky, particularly as oil prices have been tanking and screwing with the entire industry. As the energy world settles out so too will Opower, as long as they solidify their newer products.

21 people found this review helpful

Opower Response

People Team Representative

Thanks for your review and for being part of the Opower family for over 3 years!

7. 5.0

Wonderful Place To Work; Hard to Get In

Sep 24, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot of the caveat "for the DC area" when descrbing Opower, and that feels fair. Salary ranges seem competitive for DC while benefits and other perks are outstanding. People bring their pets to the office which makes every day fun, and the snacks are varied, delicios, and the right blend of healthy and terrible for you. Teams are allowed to budget for off-site excursions that range from outdoor ropes courses to nice dinners, and most departments exercise some fomr of inter-departmental comradery.

Cons

With a huge office in SF it's impossible not to compare our salaries and benfits against theirs regionally, and DC-side that's where some of the competive edge is lost. A lot of talent moves out to SF for this reason, leaving a bit of a drain on some aspects of the DC office. And since our benefits aren't always as great as in SF, there has been some loss of talent. Also, the interview process could use some work. By many accounts it's grueling, and while it's important to get the best possible feel for a candidate's talents and skills, there is so much on-the-job learning that maybe some of it can be left for later.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

For those of you who care about the future of energy...

Jan 31, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

...Opower is one of the few companies that's on the forefront of ushering utilities into the 21st century. How many other cleantech companies have you seen undergo a successful IPO and continue along a positive growth trajectory? <crickets chirping> Opower put behavioral energy efficiency on the map and will do the same for a whole array of new AMI-enabled products and services. Your energy provider should effectively communicate with you about how and when you use energy so you can make informed decisions to reduce your use and save money. Opower is making this happen. I'm happy to be a part of this. For full review of perks, see other reviews (they are good though). Finally, you'll notice a lot of negative reviews as of late. They all boil down to the fact that company life is changing as Opower has moved from fledgling start-up to enterprise software company. I welcome this feedback and sympathize with some of it but still doesn't reflect how I feel about Opower overall as a company. The fact that we're openly having this debate about what the company is and should be is a sign of positive company culture.

Cons

Working environment is very fluid. For those of us who like long-term clarity and certainty in day-to-day tasks, Opower-life will come as a shock. To a certain extent, this is a good thing as it prevents the job from becoming stale - and some folks do really thrive in this environment - but it can be overwhelming. Be ready for this, decide if this is something you want.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Dec 19, 2013 - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par. * Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO. * Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc. * Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons

* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering. * The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring. * If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great workplace with super smart people and fun perks!

Jan 6, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Opower in 2015 and have had a really great experience. I love my team and really respect and appreciate all of my colleagues. It sounds silly but everyone is very professional, doesn't gossip, and actually makes an effort to engage not just at work but on personal stuff when appropriate. I like that everyone works very hard, but is not afraid to laugh and have some fun while getting the job done. It's a tight ship with high standards, ambitious goals and deadlines, but if you're smart, driven and dedicated, you will be successful and inspired by the results and the opportunity to do really great work with great people. Best Perks: Dog friendly, unlimited paid time off, on-site massage!!! Lounges, lunch rooms, a library, subsidized parking, gym subsidy, healthy snacks, good coffee, bubbly water, ripe avocados and fruit for the snagging (gnom, gnom, gnom), stand up desks, and lots of creative swag!

Cons

I'm really happy to be working here. For a young and growing company, Opower shows all the signs of being on an exciting and positive path forward. The building in SF just repealed their dog friendliness so that's a bummer, but that is outside of the company's control. I also wish there were more conference space as it's sometimes hard to find a room for meetings as most everything is open space.

8 people found this review helpful

Opower Response

People Team Representative

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate it. We’re happy to hear that you’re thriving at Opower. We work hard at providing a positive and inspiring environment for all O’s across the globe and appreciate your contribution to the company mission.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 179 Reviews