Opower Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2020

3.7
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here(in 21 reviews)

• "Competitive salaries, with many of the west coast perks you see in the HBO show, Silicon Valley (free massages, Friday lunch, etc)(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just(in 15 reviews)

• "Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match(in 14 reviews)

1. "A great company with a great mission"

5.0
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone was friendly to work with. Surprisingly well run as a company.

Cons

Not sure how their culture has changed after being acquired by Oracle. Betting it was for the worse.

"Toxic: If you don't like it they will happily find someone to replace you!"

1.0

I worked at Opower

Pros

Please read my thoughts below

Cons

Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life. Much like a toxic relationship, it was so surreal that it took distance to recognize how manipulative and evil it was. This is no longer a startup that cares about the environment or your career development. Product teams called "tribes" as in tribal warfare, were organized to fight against each other for resources or to get initiatives on the sacred roadmap. It was impossible to get anything built because the engineering teams were incorrectly staffed. The development department is a poster child for "full stack dilettante" any specialization was circa 1990. User testing, research, and data science are nonexistent, they fired that entire department before the acquisition, all that's left is a shell of its former self. The design and engineering teams, operate like a molasses waterfall. Management will lie to you about promotions here and there, oh next year we'll have the budget. They'll also interview prospective hires, tell them the job has closed, then weeks later tell them it's open again. The only way to become promoted is by sheer chance or by counter offering. Expect to be stuck on the one project forever. Want to take initiative and lead another project? They'll hire someone else to do that and keep you in your silo. On the plus side: the nice thing about the level of effort expected is you did not need to show up for work. So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just… work from home… Think you can use google drive, or dropbox, or anything modern? Think again! Oracle's tyrannical stronghold on being a monolith extends into its totalitarian culture: home brewed horrifying mail client from 1990 check, oradocs (aka bad google drive which misplaces documents) check, impossible to use expense reporting tool check.

Continue reading
  3. "Good people, good mission"

Former Employee - Client Success

I worked at Opower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great people who care passionately about energy efficiency. -Good medical benefits and leave policy once you hit manager or above

Cons

-your happiness will depend heavily on which team you get staffed on. There are some highly under-resourced teams that result in frustration and burn-out among employees.

"Used to be a good place to work"

2.0

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent starting pay. Experience working on interesting projects. Mostly smart and fun people to work with. Good benefits (flex time, work from home, unlimited PTO for managers).

Cons

Tons of people still leaving and morale is low. Oracle is slow to replace or not replacing all the people who left so every one is overworked. Very slow and inefficient processes. Managers are clueless about what's happening in the trenches. Lack of consistent performance reviews and feedback. No raises or incentives. No growth for more experienced people. Oracle killed the Opower culture and now it's like working in 90s corporate America. Too many meetings and power points filled with buzzwords. Products and internal tools are buggy and lack continued innovation. Politics and favoritism at higher levels and lack of diversity in senior management.

Continue reading
  5. "Smart People, Interesting Work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I worked at Opower I felt like I was surrounded by smart people. Most engineers were very competent and very engaged in their jobs.

Cons

The pace of change at Opower was glacial. It took a long time to release new products, and the company was large enough (even before being acquired by Oracle) that I didn't feel empowered to change the organization. I was frustrated by the review and promotion process. My boss agreed that I met all the documented points to be promoted to the next level of engineer, but I had to wait a further two more review rounds to receive the promotion. This was my reason for leaving.

6. "Human Resources"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

Wonderful, wonderful mission! Young staff. Lots of energy.

Cons

Because of the youth, there is a lack of seasoned veterans with real business acumen.

7. "Used to be great until Oracle"

2.0

I worked at Opower

Pros

Environment-focused. Intelligent & hard-working co-workers.

Cons

Opower's mission was lost the moment the acquisition was announced. People left in droves as the company they knew changed before their eyes. In the beginning, upper management assured employees things would not change outside of the company name and a few leaders, but entire workflows changed, orgs disbanded, and benefits slashed.

"A great place to work"

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology. In a verrrryyyyy slow moving vertical (the utility industry), Opower is one of the most nimble companies working at scale.

Cons

The utility industry has built (or has had built for it) incredibly robust, but customized, on premise applications to run their operations, and moving those applications into the cloud in the form of configurable SaaS applications is a long and painful process.

Continue reading

"Overall a great experience so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Opower's mission is to truly make great customer experiences for them to become more energy efficient. This is a serious goal and an exciting one to be working towards and still very much apparent post acquisition. Leadership has been quite reasonable and is willing to implement ideas and changes that employees want. This is also seen in product direction. If you see an opportunity, you can definitely make your voice heard and affect R&D investments. Career growth is great and most managers are willing to help you move roles if you choose to do so. VA office has a great culture with fairly often potlucks, wellness events and a whole lot of birthday cake

Cons

post-acquisition, there have been more bureaucratic hurdles that need to be passed to get everything we need. Oracle internet is at times annoying to deal with the vision at times seems stretched on many fronts and there isnt a coherent focus on where the company is headed

10. "Best Experience of My Career (until Oracle)"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best, brightest coworkers I've ever worked with. An incredibly positive work environment. Great managers.

Cons

It no longer exists as it was acquired by Oracle.

Found 179 reviews