OppLoans Reviews | Glassdoor

OppLoans Reviews

Updated March 18, 2019

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The schedules are also very flexible which creates the perfect work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Fun work environment with great people" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have no cons about this company" (in 5 reviews)

• "No longer offering to work from home" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opploans is probably the best career move I’ve ever made."

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I knew opploans was different on my first day, when someone started clapping and before I knew it, the whole office was clapping. We asked the trainer what was going on, to what she responded “I don’t know what this one is for, but just clap when the time comes”.
    The technology is solid, and the leadership team has been able to create a great experience for both the customers and employees. Everyone has a place here and there’s always time for everything; whether you enjoy working around a lot of people getting stuff done while people are laughing and clapping and giving food away to the first one that responds on slack, or working later hours and weekends taking advantage of the ability to make additional income.
    Our Leadership team understands the value of having a positive culture and it trickles all the way down to our Floor Supervisors. Every one of them is unique in their own way, but at the core they are all willing to help make our days easier and our customers satisfied, which is what really matters.
    The company operates with high levels of integrity, from being 100% transparent with our customers through the application process, to focusing on diversity and promoting from within.
    Compensation package is pretty awesome, with things like having our lunches subsidized and delivered by Fooda, gym and bike parking with tools and an air pump or the random happy hour with our fridges stocked with beer and snacks.
    I also love bagel Saturdays. Pizza Sundays who? Pffft

Cons

Honestly, nothing really negative. The company is young, so scaling up is what would seem to be an opportunity, but I feel we’ve got a good handle on it.

Advice to Management

We are adding another floor, so keeping everyone engaged in more creative ways will be key to maintaining our awesome culture. We can never have enough swag. Monthly LA top performer bonus/gift?
    Keep doing what you are doing because our customers love us, we are growing really fast and we all love working here.

Sep 7, 2018 – PeopleOps

So glad you are so happy with your choice to join OppLoans! We appreciate your detailed feedback and thank you for your hard work each day! And really... can you ever have too much swag?!

2. "A Company full of opputunity, diversity, and unending potential for it's employee's"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had no experience doing my current position before this job, my direct boss, Bob O'Connell thought I'd be a good fit and gave me a job because he believed I had the right qualities. Fast forward 6 months I am now a leading producer for the entire firm, several of my suggestions since I've started have now been adopted company wide just to name a few.

A few pluses about my position-
    * Schedule flexibility, my supervisor and Bob are extremely accommodating for any personal situations or preferred working hours to say the least
    *The office environment is very relaxed and a very casual dress code
    *C-Suite Management is very accessible
    *Great Office Perks
    *Company Outings

Cons

No company growing as fast as OppLoans is will be without bumps in the road along the way, we are adding people by the dozen's and an entire new floor to our office, but when an issue does arise, management WILL reach out and find out everyone's concerns, and ultimately make the situation right in the end. They are very proactive and have a genuine concern for EVERYONE

Advice to Management

None

Mar 18, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Shout out to Bob for seeing your potential! Thanks for the great feedback. It’s wonderful to know that you truly experience the Leadership Team’s open door policy and desire to make thing better for... More

3. "Great People, Great Company"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Down-to-earth, accessible leaders who genuinely care
    - Excellent perks & benefits
    - Great office with prime location
    - Culture that's ambitious and energetic but never cutthroat
    - Amazing people in general - the sort of coworkers you enjoy spending time with
    - Mission-driven and committed to transparency

Cons

- With such fast growth, you often find yourself being reactive instead of proactive

Advice to Management

- Promote professional development + ongoing training for employees
    - Strive to keep family atmosphere in the midst of rapid growth
    - Prioritize diversity and inclusion across the entire company

Mar 18, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your very thoughtful feedback. You really know us! We're definitely working on many opportunities for training and development along with awesome new initiatives on the inclusion and... More

4. "Shifting"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the Pros working here is that Opploans offers Flexible hours. Not only are the hours Flexible but it’s one of the few jobs that allows you to get things done in your day to day life that are important. I love that the dress code is very casual. The hourly pay is Meh 😒 but the bonuses make up for it, and it’s very diverse here.

Cons

Although OppLoans has Flexible hours, ok pay, and don’t really micro manage, the company is beginning to change. Change is expected as a company begins to grow in size. One of the things that is beginning to change is the bonus structure. OppLoans is one of the few Loan companies that gives you your bonuses every pay period! Which is great, rewarding us with extra money will make anyone happy to do their job. However, they have now implemented new goals that you have to reach in order for you to get your extra bonus that use to come from Loans approved on the same day. A few months back you guys began a program where we can track our progress in various areas. However, that was just a test in a thought out new bonus structure that they spring on us during the already slow season. Bringing on this new “bonus structure “ which originally was told to help encourage us to push for more during the slow season will soon became a necessity that WILL gradually get worse. Soon, what I feel will happen is that once you do begin to reach your goals to get your bonus that are “uncapped” they will keep increasing your metrics like other Loan companies; further pushing the finish line further and further away. They didn’t even explain it to the Loan Advocates, leaving many of us upset and confused. We have these Culture discussions about nonsensicals in person all day. However, an in depth conversation about the new bonus structure and how it could “benefit us” would have been more important to have the discussions in person. Another problem that I notice at OppLoans is diversity. OppLoans is very diverse on the Loan Advocate side however; if you step a few feet over to the corporate side you will see that there is hardly ANY representation. Many of our customers are minorities, yet many of the people in marketing are white male. At OppLoans it seems that in order for anyone to go over to corporate, you must be in the majority group. It creates a very obvious difference between the two sides. To me, that creates an uncomfortable image and lets me know that I would be less likely to get a position over on that side.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management, please stop pressuring us to nominate you for the best place to work, only to bring more people over to the corporate side; while seemingly not seeing the worth in the Loan Advocates that HELP make the company money. Please do not change the culture so much that it becomes a place where we can not come to you and speak our concerns. Do not become like other failed Loan Companies and start implementing horrid bonus structures; or new rules that lowers the moral of everyone on the floor. The way that things were with the professional yet free and open culture is unlike any other job I have had. I would recommend that you do not lose that the more corporate we become. Please do not let people from upper management from failed Loan Companies like Avant or Enova make OppLoans become another place where people that are not in corporate dread to work. To conclude my long rant, I will say please remember that diversity and inclusivity are two totally different things. I will also add that so far OppLoans is still a great place to work. I write this anonymously of course, in hopes that someone in upper management understands that many Loan Advocates have these same concerns.

Mar 14, 2019 – CEO

We try to get everything right as we scale the business rapidly; however, there are many things we can do better as we grow. It all starts with communication, and it sounds like we failed here. We... More

"Feedback is taken seriously! Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great colleagues, management listens to their employees, and fooda credit! :)

Cons

At the moment working conditions are not ideal. Its pretty loud where I sit and IT as a whole is spread out.

However, in a couple of months Opploans is a going to have available to them another floor. After the move occurs the overall layout of the company will change drastically. I anticipate that this con will not be valid in a couple of months. If you accept a job at Opploans now then by the time you start you'll either experience what I'm experiencing for a short amount of time or you won't even know what I'm talking about. :)

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Management is accessible and takes feedback seriously. I can't tell you how many companies I've worked for where management couldn't care less what the people under them think and Opploans is NOT that kind of a place. I will say that if you do go to management with an issue give them the benefit of the doubt and work with them!

Feb 23, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. Yes, we are all so excited to expand to a new floor for a great reason - amazing growth! So nice to know that you believe your perspective is heard by... More

"THEE BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for 3.5 months now - I am having the time of my life! I have never been so happy in a work environment it’s truly unbelievable. The articles you read about how much our CEO pours into his employees- BELIEVE them! They are real and true, I live this everyday! I can’t see myself ever working anywhere else, the culture is truly the heart of the company in addition to making great money! Thank you Opploans for being everything I’ve read about before coming on board!

Cons

No cons whatsoever for Opploans! Only better from here!

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing a great place to work for your employees!

Feb 17, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Wow! Love that you feel all this right from the start. Thank you for the great feedback. We’re so happy that you are part of the OppLoans team! #OppHome

Karishma Patel Buford, Chief People Officer

"Problems here aren't changing"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time

Pros

they shove you with food and drink.. a lot of adult bevs. open office. good coworkers

Cons

the issues they have aren't changing. occasionally someone in leadership says "yeah this is a problem" but they don't do anything about it. as the company grew they focus more on the $$$ not the "open door policy" or the company culture. or making sure things are fair across the board. they aren't!!!!

Advice to Management

stop pretending to care. stop ignoring the things that are broken... about the company and the way you REALLY treat people.

Mar 1, 2019 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate your very honest review and sorry to learn in this way about your frustrating experience. Creating a fair, respectful, and inclusive culture is important to us, and we are committed to... More

"Great team to be a part of"

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very motivated to help our customers and give them the best experience possible. The team is very smart and everyone enjoys what they do.

Cons

Haven't seen any yet, only been here for a few months. Leadership is very transparent about how they want to improve the company and improve on weaknesses.

Feb 11, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Awesome that you have been able to see so quickly our laser focus on the customer experience! There's always opportunity to improve and we welcome your ideas and feedback... More

"Collaborative and Exciting"

Current Employee - Director of Compliance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Compliance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great to work with and are very collaborative. It is fasted paced, fun and very creative. Everyone wants to do the right thing for the customer and the company. The team really embodies the motto "See something, say something".

Cons

It's a growing company and with an open environment it can get a little nosy.

Feb 14, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback! Love that you agree everyone wants to do the right thing for the customer given we were built on this premise. And absolutely- though the open environment brings good... More

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OppLoans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are countless pros to working at Opploans: Co-workers are great; management team is supportive and transparent; entrepreneurial culture - no micro-managing - you dictate your path; opportunity to work on awesome projects. Culturally, OppLoans is equally as impressive - subsidized lunches, free gym, multiple fully-stocked kitchens, Crepe/Taco/Bagel/etc Day, great benefits. The list doesn't stop.

Cons

I think with any company that experiences the massive growth OppLoans has in the last three years there will growing pains. Cross-departmental communication could be improved; however, management has addressed the issue and is continually working to improve.

Advice to Management

Thank you! I love coming to work.

Feb 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. So glad to know that you value our awesome perks and feel supported by management. You're right - we recognize the opportunity to continue improving cross-department... More