OppenheimerFunds Reviews | Glassdoor

OppenheimerFunds Chairman, CEO and President Arthur P. Steinmetz
Arthur P. Steinmetz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The business is cutting costs and trying to stay relevant and competitive at the sake of employees work/life balance or even worse, their jobs (in 10 reviews)

• Too many layers of middle management went unchecked by senior management (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Advisor Consultant Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Advisor Consultant Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at OppenheimerFunds (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, benefits, and reputation. Also, the ability to discuss ideas openly and honestly. I had 6 promotions in a 14 year career at OppenheimerFunds.

Cons

Constantly changing environment due to CEO turnover. In the 14 years there, there were 5 different CEO's. While change can be good, this amount of turnover confused employees and our direction at time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job on benefits and open discussion. This is key to longevity and commitment to the organization.

2. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in New York, NY

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing atmosphere loved it working there

Cons

Can't think of any very professional

Advice to Management

Good job

3. "Senior Processing Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people work with, are some of the best I have know. Dedicated to doing their job right the first time, every time.

Cons

Management who does not know how to do you job but feels it is their right to tell you that you are doing it wrong. Being told that I lack good communication skills when management plays games behind each others backs an presents an atmosphere of miss trust

4. "AVP"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was promoted to another department after 2 years. Enjoyed working with the people there.

Cons

Salary. After my last review I asked for raise that would have keep me there. They weren't able to match it and I left for another opportunity. According to Glassdoor, an AVP is averaging way over what I asked for.

Advice to Management

Be sure to value the employees you want to stay and will rely on for the future. They will stay if treated right.

"Great place to work. Generous benefits and telecommute options"

Current Employee - Customer Svc Representative in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Svc Representative in Centennial, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great options for higher learning. Flexible work life balance, schedules, and work from home options. Employee centric to take charge of your own career growth.

Cons

Internal advancement does not have raises at first if you are under the same umbrella. There is a lack of internal promotions. Don't come here. Waste of time for future stability and growth.

Advice to Management

Outsourcing will definitely hurt the brand.

6. "review"

Pros

great work environment to start off

Cons

Not many cons at all

7. "AVP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People and there was a lot of growth that is slowing

Cons

Limited growth opportunities an downsizing

Advice to Management

See above

8. "The web development department is a revolving door of cheap outsourced labor"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good pay
    Cool people below management

Cons

Leadership on the tech team is completely incompetent
    Deadlines are set and you must make them at all costs. This company is WATERFALL, definitely not Agile, so you have no real say in exactly how much time it would actually take to complete the work.
    Every year or two they chop the good developers and bring in a cheap consultancy from India to make a complete mess of things before deciding that they should go back to using competent full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time

Pros

Great culture, supportive management, good diversity and solid learning opportunities.

Cons

Lack of a wide assortment of opportunities,

Advice to Management

More transparency, less hierarchy.

"Check Office Location on Other Reviews"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Superficially, the New York office is nice. There is a "pantry" (which is actually a pretty big lunch area) that is usually half-stocked with a small variety of okay snacks.

New York is a nice place to work, and there are nice places to walk just steps from the office... if you can find time to do so.

People who work out of the Colorado office seem to have a generally positive experience, especially tech employees, who frequently work from home AND/OR a Galvanize co-working space. Beware though... New Yorkers get nothing of the sort. (More on that below!)

Cons

*Working from Home* - If you are researching OppenheimerFunds as a prospective employer, and are encouraged by the number of reviews that mention "work from home", PLEASE do a little more digging and check the locations of the reviewers who mention that alleged perk. You'll find that most are Colorado-based. In contrast, working from home when based in the New York office seems tolerated at best. Make no mistake - the New York office absolutely has a "be seen" vibe where you'll technically be allowed by your manager to work from home on occasion but you will always have to watch your back. There is no formal policy on working from home, and in New York, one gets the feeling that doing it more than say... three times in a month... will put you in hot water, or at least snide remark purgatory.

*Compensation* - If your initial offer is not good, walk away, because you won't make up for it in raises here. Oppenheimer prides itself on (read: HR actively brags about) usually hitting its bonus targets, and it's true. If they say you are eligible for a bonus up to a specific percentage, you may actually get close to that. HOWEVER, their raises don't even cover the yearly benefit plan cost hike. Expect decent bonuses, but "why bother?"-calibre raises. At Oppenheimer, five years from now, your salary will be maybe ten percent higher than it is now, if you're lucky.

*Culture* - Culture-wise, this is the worst company for which I've worked in my 10+ year career. Again though, people in the Colorado office seem to have FAR more positive experiences. Even their dress code is WAY more relaxed...

...but in New York... oh New York... You'll experience all the uptight pressure of New York finance / asset management without the competitive salary to make up for it.
    - Big Brother is ALWAYS watching you in the New York office. (I am talking PERVASIVE surveillance here.
    - If you work in technology, good luck getting any software/tools; you won't even have working wifi in many of the conference rooms.
    - They preach diversity, acceptance and inclusion, but look past the rainbow cookies and really examine the people you see and let me know how much diversity you can spot. Ask your female coworkers what their experience has been. Distribution (sales) in particular resembles a frat house on formal night, and technology is a den of nasty geeks who will get stabby and never admit fault.
    - Others here have mentioned layoffs in tech. Yup. As of mid-2017, there were two rounds thus far, and I don't think we're done yet.
    - The CTO is the least personable C-level executive I have ever encountered, followed closely by the CEO. Neither has the social graces one would expect with such lofty titles.

Advice to Management

Bring some of that Colorado positive vibe to New York and be SINCERE when you do it.

I'm already looking for a new job, so please make it fast.