Opportunities for Positive Growth Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Gail Kahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good entry-level position"

I have been working at Opportunities for Positive Growth full-time

Pros

Good community culture, great supervisors

Cons

Not very many chances for promotions

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time at OPG! We agree, community involvement is very important to us. We are always working to expand our growth opportunities for employees that raise the... More

2. "Take care of people with intellectual disabilities and teach them life skills."

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Opportunities for Positive Growth part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feeling rewarded by working with people you care for and want to improve life skills. The clients are very open and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Half of my employees were on drugs/ taking pills (which is beyond inappropriate). I've heard some bragging about vaping marijuana in the bathrooms of our clients own homes. The management does not properly make sure that clients are truly in their best care.

Advice to Management

Better screen and supervise your employees so your clients and employees are better cared for.

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are disheartened by your feelings concerning your time at OPG. We pride ourselves on having a Whistleblower Policy in place to ensure situations listed above are handled immediately and... More

3. "Most rewarding job I've ever had"

I have been working at Opportunities for Positive Growth (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee-owner relationship as it is an employee owned company. Flexible hours and a great chance for employees to connect with their clients.

Cons

Chaotic environment at times, never know what you're going to get. Also the fun part of the job.

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are excited to hear this is a rewarding career for you! OPG prides itself on being person-centered and adheres to the needs of the individuals we support, which is the most rewarding part of our... More

4. "DSP"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

An Opportunity to Make a Difference. An Opportunity to help someone else be successful while becoming successful yourself. I have worked here for many years and have moved up in the company from an entry level position because I love what I do and have compassion for the people I work with. Flexible Hours, Competitive Pay, a growing company, ESOP, Benefits, and Recognition. Opportunities for education and advancement.

Cons

Whenever you work with people, there will be challenges. It is customer service and sometimes the customers (parents) are unhappy with your service or management because you are caring for their most precious resource.
    This business is Medicaid funded which means there is a cap on how much employees can earn and there is, necessarily, a lot of management to deal with the bureaucracies that medicaid requires.

5. "Good job for college students"

Pros

Provide great clients that appreciate your help.

Cons

Many employees feel that we are under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Management staff is great and very involved!

"Headache"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional

I have been working at Opportunities for Positive Growth part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the families are flexible with hours.

Cons

Management is disorganized and communicates poorly with staff members, clients and their families. Every family I have worked with has been dissatisfied with coordination of care and communication from management. This is awkward. The company has extremely high staff turnover and this creates chaos for the consumers and their families. In addition, training is non-existent. Only one day of training was available to me. Very little support from management. Management and administration are far removed from the everyday issues that direct support staff encounter. The training is more like motivational speaking- not constructive or effective. Employees do not have a voice.

Advice to Management

Work as a cohesive team. Listen to employee concerns and make employee satisfaction a priority. Happy employees make for dedicated workers and higher retention. Higher retention and dedicated employees makes for quality services = SATISFIED CUSTOMERS.

7. "Direct Care"

Pros

The customers and their families are amazing

Cons

Having to use your own car (keeping log of mileage and submit for reimbursement- which only covers gas and not wear and tear to your vehicle)

Low pay that is disbursed twice monthly and mileage reimbursement on a monthly check

Management is not skilled in human resources

It's a high turnover job because of the position but the company seems to expect you to stay forever

Advice to Management

Keep staff morale up and invest in someone trained in HR

"Direct Support Professional"

Current Employee - DSP in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - DSP in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

community setting, ability to work independently

Cons

little training, lack of support and direction from management

Advice to Management

incorporate evidence-based practices, more accountability

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - DSP in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - DSP in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Opportunities for Positive Growth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job as a DSP! This company truly cares about the wellbeing of the clients as well as the employees.

Cons

There is very little room for career advancement among dsps, no paid time off

"Employee at Opportunities for Positive Growth"

Pros

The best part of working here is having the opportunity to spend time with the clients who are receiving services through OPG. Helping to guide them through independent living and community integration is very rewarding. OPG also reimburses $0.24 per mile while on shift.

Cons

Communication with lower management is the worst- They tell you to do something and then get mad that you did you did it, they don't accept responsibility for their wrong doing but instead punish their support staff for what happens, staff can email and communicate EVERYTHING that needs to be communicated but the lower management won't respond back for weeks and then get mad because they weren't informed of what was going on. The lower management has been known to be controlling, demanding, hostile, and threatening towards support staff for miscommunications. Upper management does nothing about this.
    There are no raises, no vacation days, no sick days (you're expected to work regardless of how sick you are), no respect for professional boundaries on the lower managements part, and little training. What little training that is received is disputed between upper and lower management.

Advice to Management

Provide raises, vacation days, and sick days. Unpaid sick and vacation days would even be fine but the support staff needs to be rewarded for continuously carrying out the vision for OPG. PLEASE, get a handle on your Quality Enhancement Specialist's.