Opportunity International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vicki B Escarra

1. "administation"

Former Employee - Administration in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Administration in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Opportunity International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team spirit, banking with a focus on the poorer members of the community, Christian ethos, good mix of international and national staff.

Cons

Not much chance of advancement, declining revenues, leadership changes

Advice to Management

Listen more to staff for improvements to business plan, embrace new technology, and empower staff to build professional abilities and capacity.

2. "Marketing & PR Intern"

Pros

I interned with Opportunity International as an undergrad. I was given the freedom to work in the areas I was interested in. I received assistance while writing blog posts and was given feedback on how to improve. Overall a great organization.

Cons

It was only a summer-long internship so I did not have much opportunity to get deeply involved with the organization.

Advice to Management

Since the internship was unpaid, the jobs that needed completed were not always clarified. Maybe consider formally writing out expected goals? On the positive side, it encouraged self-sufficiency.

3. "Intern"

Pros

Truly amazing community, and people are committed to their work!

Cons

It's a smaller company that I think needs some work still with figuring out how to succeed in the market.

5. "Toxic work culture"

I have been working at Opportunity International full-time

Pros

The organization has a strong mission and purpose to end global poverty by providing a hand up instead of a hand out.

Cons

Things operate in a constant fire or crisis mode, without much investment or care for employee moral. Employees are often put behind the board, donors and fundraisers.

Advice to Management

An engaged and motivated team will perform better.

6. "Top-Heavy Organization"

I worked at Opportunity International full-time

Pros

Great colleagues on a peer level) and a mission that is easy to get behind. If you want to learn how to thrive in the chaos of a non-profit, this is a great proving ground.

Cons

Leadership is out-of-touch. Salaries vary wildly, and unless you come in as a VP, don't expect to make bank. Promotion is unlikely, however, more responsibility will be added informally to your position without any sort of significant compensation. Poor recent fundraising has resulted in MASSIVE layoffs and attrition.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk about transparency, enact it. Consider implementing career tracks to promote employee loyalty.

7. "Human Resources Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Nairobi (Kenya)

I worked at Opportunity International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the family culture at Opportunity Kenya, that was my biggest motivation to report to work

Cons

There was a lot of room to improve on lateral communication

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum and I wish you the very best in the current transition of the merger and acquisition.

8. "Administration Coordinator"

Current Employee - Administration in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Current Employee - Administration in Nairobi (Kenya)

I have been working at Opportunity International full-time

Pros

Good team work, worthwhile cause empowering poor to have access to capital, focus on helping women, group team work encouraged

Cons

Many changes in structure, selling off different banks to different organizations, great disparity between top staff salaries and mid level staff salaries

Advice to Management

capacity building training, promotion from within organization, equalizing salary levels, more opportunities for advancement, better pay structure, better communication

9. "Intern"

Pros

Great experience in copywriting/ producing meaningful marketing communications

Cons

internships are unpaid, but OI is understanding of this and flexible with hours

10. "It was a good run"

I worked at Opportunity International full-time

Pros

Mission was a perfect for for me and many colleagues were solid as they come. Donors and volunteers were the perfect combination of entrepreneurs and stewards of the resources entrusted to them. Opportunity's supporters were the heartbeat of the organization. I was honored to know many of them.

Cons

Leadership transitions over the past 5 years have taken their toll. Opportunity had been an organization without a compass or plan for how to take it to the next level. Not sure if the current LT is equipped to change the status quo.

Advice to Management

Leadership is an interesting thing. In an organization like Opportunity, who leads? Is it the Board of Directors, the CEO or maybe leadership is a mix of things? The organization needs to finds its leaders and allow them to steer the ship to calmer waters.

"Terrible Company- Lack of Direction and no growth"

Pros

The Mission is pretty powerful. They have the potential of helping individuals worldwide.

Cons

Managemeant lacks direction. Employees are not appreciated. Those that work less make more. The decisions OI has taken in the last year have not been good.