Optaros Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Optaros President Clifford Lopez
Clifford Lopez

Pros
  • Cool place to work with great people (in 8 reviews)

• Great culture: employees are intelligent but also enjoy after work drinks/social events (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales team wasn't very good at closing projects, specifically interesting projects (in 2 reviews)

• culture used to be good but disorganised mgmt is eroding what is left of culture & values (in 2 reviews)

1. "Not stressful, Learn a lot."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time

Pros

Great people.
    Flexible for the most part in terms of where you work (from home or in the office). As long as you get your work done, no one seems to mind.

Cons

With that said.... theres little to no culture. Currently going through an acquisition. It used to have a great work culture. I hope that changes soon, the Boston teams been cut well more then half in size.

Advice to Management

Try to be more connected with the Boston Office. Hires would be great too, I miss getting excited to come into the office.

2. "Solid company, lot of great people to learn from"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of great people here, very talented and it's a good place to build out a network.

Cons

Sales team wasn't very good at closing projects, specifically interesting projects. We'd bid on interesting stuff, and miss, and end up doing some dog of a project for 2/3rds what we should have charged... pipeline never felt full... always felt like we were going hand to mouth.

Advice to Management

You've changed up the management team since I was there, and that's a good thing. You had some people that just weren't inspiring at all to work under... were borderline toxic to work for in fact. I'd suggest you get a more consistent process for... everything. Every project you reinvent big chunks of the wheel and there's no reason for it.

3. "Optaros"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company, Romanian entity seems to be doing well

Cons

Management isn't present. No clear business direction

5. "Company in a Good Market"

Former Employee - Vice President, Senior Client Partner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Senior Client Partner in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros (More than 8 years)

Pros

Real market opportunity with solid backing from a new parent company

Cons

Lots of change - could lead to good things - but difficult for organization.

"Ok company with no vision"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Takes care of the employee in terms of compensation or benefits. Open and transparent work culture.

Cons

No vision. It's good be on bench than working for a client. Learn to be a jerk to interact with few colleagues.

Advice to Management

A vision is important for an organization.

"Nurture your connections"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to meet some smart people and make long lasting professional connections. Lots of people from the early company days moved on to start their own companies, so that speaks volumes about the caliber of people that join the company.

Cons

Can be staffed on projects you don't like for long periods of time. Company has changed directions and focus several times.

Advice to Management

Pick a vision and go after it.

"Optaros is a great company which really cares about its employees and does (mostly) pretty interesting work."

Current Employee - Technical Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office culture is amazing; everyone is extremely laid-back, interesting, and fun. Everyone is passionate about and highly engaged by the work that they are doing, and they collaborate constantly. The company is generous with salaries, time off, and other compensation. Plus, the company is very concerned about the happiness and careers of its employees, and continuously revises its career paths, policies, and processes to make role progression simple and effective.

Cons

Optaros is a consulting company so the work is not for everyone. Most of the projects focus on eCommerce, and the consequence is that the work can become repetitive. The future/vision of the company is somewhat ill-defined. It seems like the leadership has trouble finding itself.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for individuals to do the work they need to do to get role progressions. If someone needs more client work, let them work with clients!

9. "Innovative work environment"

I have been working at Optaros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, inspiring, innovative place to work

Cons

Sometimes requires wearing many hats

"It's 2014 Who are we now?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Location
    - Technology that is used for clients
    - Focus on commerce is smart

Cons

- Executive management is weak
    - Needs to attend to customer satisfaction

Advice to Management

- Continue to hire subject matter experts to provide credibility to your brand

11. "First job out of college and I absolutely love the amount of exposure and of projects from day one!"

Current Employee - User Experience Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here at Optaros is really what keeps me around. Love the people and it really feels like you belong here. The amount of different types of work I've been doing since joining Optaros made me really feel like a contributing member of the team right out of college. They have challenged me to stretch myself beyond my current role since day one and have always kept an open ear to listen to me about what I want out of my career and how I would like to grow in the future. It really doesn't feel like I'm going to work every morning I wake up for work, which is something I would hope every company strives for.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges I feel happens here (in the Boston office at least) is the lack of mentorship on the technical side. There are plenty of opportunities to be client facing and work on your consulting skills, but as a developer it's hard to hone those technical skills at the same time without the proper mentorship.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to invest more time and energy in training for your developers internally in order to grow your team within just as much as you hire from outside to help fill those gaps in knowledge.