Optimizely Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Optimizely CEO Jay Larson
Jay Larson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is encouraged" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great culture and the people here are kind and passionate about their work" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Usual growing pains of a mid size startup" (in 18 reviews)

• "Professional/Career growth non-existent" (in 7 reviews)

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time

Pros

Amazing people. Everyone is really passionate about what we're doing and have a lot of ownership over their work. It's really energizing to work somewhere where we're all pulling in the same direction...which is to make our customers wildly successful so Optimizely can be successful.

Along with the people, the culture is great. I really enjoy the transparency and trust that we have.

Cons

Our space is challenging but that's what keeps it interesting.

Sometimes we put in place process that is unnecessary for a company of our size.

Advice to Management

Continue holding ourselves to a high standard and keep our customers first.

"Great product, great people, great culture"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for a little over a year and a half now and while I'm typically skeptical of reviews from current employees, I wanted to share my review simply because I don't think the current 3.5 stars rating is presentative of my opinion of the workplace.

I joined Optimizely in early 2017 when I had the opportunity because of 3 main reasons -
    1) industry-leading product
    2) successful, smart, humble people for me to learn from
    3) a very open, inclusive, supportive culture.

While there were a couple obstacles the company underwent when we pivoted the business to be more enterprise focused, the 3 foundational reasons for why I joined hold true to today.

The leadership team is not only incredibly successful in their own merit, they also care deeply about every employee. Time and again, I've seen every exec take the time to get to know everyone in the company, beyond just their names and faces.

Additionally, the company also truly believes in transparency and ownership. After every board meeting, we go through the board slides as a company, and also get a walkthrough of the company's financials down to the details. I've seen many companies talk the talk about transparency, but I've never seen one walk the walk to this extent.

In a similar way, the leadership team has a weekly Q&A session where questions can be asked live or anonymously, so that no one feels pressured to reveal their identity when asking the question if they'd rather not share.

Cons

While there are challenges that have come up from time to time, they are always a temporary inconvenience as leadership team, HR, IT, and workplace operations all evaluate themselves on customer satisfaction (in this case the employee satisfaction).

I can't think of a problem that we currently face that is debilitating the company or its culture.

Advice to Management

Please continue putting an emphasis on employees first as you have. Don't let our company's success tempt greed or a shift in culture that draws us away from being able to truly enjoy our time in the office and in the company.

"Optimizely is an Amazing Place to Work"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optimizely is an amazing company and place to work. They are so transparent about everything going on, and the leadership team never beats around the bush with questions asked. In between a bi-weekly diversity meeting, weekly all-hands meetings where execs answer ALL questions, and the opportunity for endless volunteering and giving back to the company, it really is an incredible place to work.

At Optimizely you have the opportunity to pick your own career path, and with regular meetings on goals and feedback, upper management really does seem to care about the success of the individuals and of the team.

Cons

Start-up growing pains, CRM needs some work

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and open, continue to listen to your employees. More all office bonding time across teams would be fun as well.

4. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong benefits and perks
    - Exciting customer base and foothold in the enterprise
    - Good collaboration between go-to-market teams
    - Known in the a/b testing space
    - Executive team is accessible and highly involved

Cons

- Company direction is constantly changing
    - Reorgs and leaders getting pushed out of the company
    - Tough competition in the market between seasoned players and new entrants
    - Sales org is seriously struggling to recruit and retain talent, in a state of flux
    - Lack of transparency or goal-setting around career development and promotion path

5. "Great place to develop your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- My management chain truly cares about my career growth and trajectory. I have regular conversations with them about where I want to take my career and they provide me the learning opportunities to do so
    - Strong sense of camaraderie and collaboration among the teams
    - Good benefits
    - Hard work is recognized and rewarded

Cons

- As with many small(er) companies, Optimizely constantly pivots in direction
    - Constant re-orgs and alignment shifts
    - Worklife balance could be better. There's an unspoken pressure for you to get things done outside of work hours

6. "Great product, great co workers"

I worked at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You'll get to work with some of the best customers in the world
    -Extremely talented and motivated co-workers

Cons

-Expensive culture passes costs on to customers
    -Push to enterprise did not go smoothly

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans, not robots.

"Great people and challenging work"

Current Employee - Frontend Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Frontend Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing benefits and perks including fully covered healthcare and 17 weeks parental leave
    - Great smart, diverse, thoughtful, high-empathy collaborative engineering team
    - The internal diversity and inclusion group has been doing some great work in encouraging inclusion, increasing cultural/lifestyle awareness, and increasing engineering diversity including hack reactor scholarships and Optimizely internships for engineers from under-represented groups.
    - Well-defined career path (google structure) for IC engineers that don't want to be people managers
    - In my experience, engineering promotions are made based on merit, not on politics or even years of experience.
    - Open engineering culture where everyone is encouraged to provide input to UI and technical designs.
    - I'll note that the work culture requires a lot of self-motivation and self-direction. In order to be successful at Optimizely you'll need to proactively take ownership of projects outside of your main assigned work.

Cons

- The transparent and collaborative culture comes at a price of many meetings (most optional) and it can be sometimes daunting to balance getting work done along with choosing which meetings to be involved in.
    - In engineering, lack of attention to multiple serious technical debt issues for years has resulted in a ton of work to dig out from under this debt. These issues are now being worked on, but not with enough engineers. The product is being held back from having wonderful UX and performance by these issues.
    - Lack of dedication to engineering rigor on some teams has left many critical features without adequate test coverage. This does not blend well with a culture where engineers are responsible for QAing their own features. It is far too easy to cause a production error with your new feature, and you are burdened with lots of documentation work and follow-up meetings if you do. Meanwhile, there are typically no consequences for the engineer that didn't write sufficient tests for their code.

Advice to Management

- Balance the engineering team with more experienced engineers to ensure less tech debt is accrued going forward.
    - Set up a no meetings day in engineering to better encourage focused work.
    - if an engineering incident is caused by lack of test coverage, require the engineer responsible for the poor test coverage handle all of the incident review follow-up work. This will better incentivize thorough test coverage.
    - Put more engineers on the technical debt work and get it done so that the entire team can be freed from these heavy shackles preventing innovation and progress.
    - Get rid of the free dinner program as it encourages poor work-life balance IMO.

"The company has changed"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time

Pros

We have an excellent product, and position and potential in the market. There are some really fantastic, brilliant people who are a joy to work with across each department.

Cons

There has been a drastic difference in culture since the new CEO has come on board. There is a lot of pressure coming from the top down. Cross-team collaboration has suffered a great deal under this new leadership. The fantastic, brilliant people are become more few and farther between. Departments and leaders are singularly focused on individual KPIs, regardless of the impact it has on others, or morale.

Advice to Management

The CEO is micromanaging parts of the business and often causing more problems than solving them. His constant praising and shaming of people publicly is ruining the collaborative, one-team culture that motivated everyone.

"If you have multiple offers... choose the other company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Optimizely (More than a year)

Pros

Standard benefits and compensation is comparable to other companies.

Cons

Not a great environment for women or minorities.

"Lost its charm"

I worked at Optimizely full-time

Pros

It was awesome when I started in 2015 - I met some of my best friends there and really felt energized by the work.

Cons

The push to go enterprise was sloppy and a lot of morale was lost along the way. Now I don't even think I know anyone left there due to so much turnover.