Optimizely Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Optimizely CEO Jay Larson
Jay Larson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is encouraged" (in 13 reviews)

• "Great culture and the people here are kind and passionate about their work" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains similar to most startups this size" (in 19 reviews)

• "Professional/Career growth non-existent" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Wow found my new home! Love love love love it here"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible leadership
    New category with huge demand and green field opportunities
    61% of the AE making their number
    Adding new sales enablement teams
    Product is able to show a hard ROI
    Big wins in the enterprise
    Place to make a measurable impact every day
    And pre IPO!!

Cons

Growing pains as any company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

"Great Company - Strong Leadership Team - Colleagues feel like Family!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never felt more proud to work at a company. The leadership team is amazing - inspirational, hard-working, and caring. The people are some of the best I have worked with in my career - intelligent and fun. Overall, I am proud to say I am an Optinaut!

Cons

It is go-time at the company. However, I find that a challenge, rather than a con. Nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Fantastic company and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible product
    Collaborative environment
    Fantastic culture
    Great perks
    Flexibility
    Good work-life balance

I've only been in my role for a few months now, but have been extremely pleased with the direction of the company as well as my peers. Everyone is very smart, collaborative and hard-working. The company is pre-IPO, and we continue to hire smart and successful people who will help take us to the next level.

Cons

Things are constantly changing, but that's to be expected in a startup culture.

"A still good company despite obvious flaws"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When we choose to work for a software company we want to work for a best in breed software company. No one comes to work in this industry to work for the second or best company; I've done that and it's soul crushing. By this measure, Optimizely is a fantastic place to work. We attract top talent and have built a product that, while not perfect, is the best product on the market. I am proud of contributing to that.

The culture is also young and exciting, while not as overly toxic as other software companies. Optimizely has made a great deal of effort to improve diversity and inclusion and there is a true focus on hiring and fostering talent among underrepresented groups (albeit this is more grassroots than top down).

Lastly, the people are fantastic. The rank and file employees at Optimizely are sharp and care about their work. It's easy to make friends here and in the 3 years that I've worked here and can say, without hesitation, that I've never had better coworkers.

Cons

Salary and career growth. Plain and simple. There is little to no transparency around promotions and growth at Optimizely and even though HR makes overtures around transparency and growth, the opposite is true. I've argued in the past for promotions and raises and have had to fight uphill battles against HR. To be fair, it's HR's job to push back on employee requests, however given what other companies in this space pay for people in my position I refuse to say that Optimizely's pay is overly competitive. In addition a lot of resentment has developed over the seemingly arbitrary way in which promotions and raises are handed out. Employees at similar levels are not always paid the same and this sows distrust amongst coworkers.

I also believe that the culture has suffered in the past year. Despite a much needed leadership change, we've become less focused on the product and more focused on sales. I don't find rousing sales speeches to be particularly interesting and I do miss Dan (old CEO's) energy at weekly all hands meetings. I'd like to see the company become more product focused in the future.

Lastly, the bro-iness is something that's present yet obviously not unique to Optimizely. I would like to go a week without hearing a sports or war analogy in sales or all-hands presentations and I would absolutely prefer more diversity in our sales and larger go-to-market org.

Advice to Management

Remember that you're not the only game in town and that you need to be fair and transparent with how you compensate employees for their work. Our core values have fallen by the wayside and we need to take a good look at ourselves as a company and remember that we can be both customer and employee-focused at the same time.

5. "Director"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, company has a lot of potential

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time

Pros

Amazing people. Everyone is really passionate about what we're doing and have a lot of ownership over their work. It's really energizing to work somewhere where we're all pulling in the same direction...which is to make our customers wildly successful so Optimizely can be successful.

Along with the people, the culture is great. I really enjoy the transparency and trust that we have.

Cons

Our space is challenging but that's what keeps it interesting.

Sometimes we put in place process that is unnecessary for a company of our size.

Advice to Management

Continue holding ourselves to a high standard and keep our customers first.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong benefits and perks
    - Exciting customer base and foothold in the enterprise
    - Good collaboration between go-to-market teams
    - Known in the a/b testing space
    - Executive team is accessible and highly involved

Cons

- Company direction is constantly changing
    - Reorgs and leaders getting pushed out of the company
    - Tough competition in the market between seasoned players and new entrants
    - Sales org is seriously struggling to recruit and retain talent, in a state of flux
    - Lack of transparency or goal-setting around career development and promotion path

"Great product, great people, great culture"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for a little over a year and a half now and while I'm typically skeptical of reviews from current employees, I wanted to share my review simply because I don't think the current 3.5 stars rating is presentative of my opinion of the workplace.

I joined Optimizely in early 2017 when I had the opportunity because of 3 main reasons -
    1) industry-leading product
    2) successful, smart, humble people for me to learn from
    3) a very open, inclusive, supportive culture.

While there were a couple obstacles the company underwent when we pivoted the business to be more enterprise focused, the 3 foundational reasons for why I joined hold true to today.

The leadership team is not only incredibly successful in their own merit, they also care deeply about every employee. Time and again, I've seen every exec take the time to get to know everyone in the company, beyond just their names and faces.

Additionally, the company also truly believes in transparency and ownership. After every board meeting, we go through the board slides as a company, and also get a walkthrough of the company's financials down to the details. I've seen many companies talk the talk about transparency, but I've never seen one walk the walk to this extent.

In a similar way, the leadership team has a weekly Q&A session where questions can be asked live or anonymously, so that no one feels pressured to reveal their identity when asking the question if they'd rather not share.

Cons

While there are challenges that have come up from time to time, they are always a temporary inconvenience as leadership team, HR, IT, and workplace operations all evaluate themselves on customer satisfaction (in this case the employee satisfaction).

I can't think of a problem that we currently face that is debilitating the company or its culture.

Advice to Management

Please continue putting an emphasis on employees first as you have. Don't let our company's success tempt greed or a shift in culture that draws us away from being able to truly enjoy our time in the office and in the company.

"Optimizely is an Amazing Place to Work"

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optimizely is an amazing company and place to work. They are so transparent about everything going on, and the leadership team never beats around the bush with questions asked. In between a bi-weekly diversity meeting, weekly all-hands meetings where execs answer ALL questions, and the opportunity for endless volunteering and giving back to the company, it really is an incredible place to work.

At Optimizely you have the opportunity to pick your own career path, and with regular meetings on goals and feedback, upper management really does seem to care about the success of the individuals and of the team.

Cons

Start-up growing pains, CRM needs some work

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and open, continue to listen to your employees. More all office bonding time across teams would be fun as well.

10. "Great place to develop your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- My management chain truly cares about my career growth and trajectory. I have regular conversations with them about where I want to take my career and they provide me the learning opportunities to do so
    - Strong sense of camaraderie and collaboration among the teams
    - Good benefits
    - Hard work is recognized and rewarded

Cons

- As with many small(er) companies, Optimizely constantly pivots in direction
    - Constant re-orgs and alignment shifts
    - Worklife balance could be better. There's an unspoken pressure for you to get things done outside of work hours