Optivest Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Van Mourick

"Communication"

Former Employee - Site Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Optivest Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule; ability to trade shifts as necessary.

Cons

Communication from corporate is limited to demands, not information or dialogue. Managers and associates are kept in the dark about decisions that directly impact and affect their lives. Requests for resources are often ignored without any explanation.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with a modicum of respect; you trust them to generate revenue-trust them with better information.

2. "Review"

Former Employee - Site Manager in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Nashua, NH

Pros

Location of Job sites are local

Cons

Horrible place to work, managers say one thing when the hire and then they change their mind with no notice

Advice to Management

Get a Clue -

"Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Converse, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Converse, TX

I worked at Optivest Properties (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for this company 25 days short of 2 years, and for the most part I loved my job. I was not micro-managed, and my customers were awesome! I was able to balance my days spending time in the office, as well as spending time working outside on the property.

Cons

There was almost no contact between upper management and individual locations. The only goals that were set were financial, for the store, with no growth potential for the employee. I was told on numerous occasions that there were new positions that were going to open up in our area that would have offered potential growth for me, but the positions never opened up, and instead I was used by my area manager to do their job.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth, and set clear, individual goals for them. Have more one on one time with each employee.

"Tough company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Optivest Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The sites are usually well kept.

Cons

I agree with the other poster saying that they hire mostly incompetent managers. The hiring system is a joke, with too many chiefs not enough Indians, everyone telling you different things..
    Pay is low for the industry, no real incentives and micro managing property owners don't really let us run the property, but mainly act as puppets to do the day to day cleaning and maintenance.

Advice to Management

Hire some professional HR people, that actually know what they are doing and we might get quality people and not have so much attrition in our ranks. We have lost so many great people because of all the incompetency........

"NO LEADERSHIP!"

Former Employee - Storage Consultant in Banning, CA
    Former Employee - Storage Consultant in Banning, CA

I worked at Optivest Properties (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits - this deserved 1 Star

Cons

I could go on about what I experienced and how I was treated unfairly but I'm not going to. All I can say is their are many employees that were treated as badly as I was. The job market is bad and I took this position until I could get another one. But as a warning to any of you interested in working for Optivest please let me say this. There is no leadership. You are the number they gave you to clock in and out and that is all, you are not valued by any means. There is no open door policy and if they tell you that they are lying. There is not room for growth and if they tell you there is they are lying.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Tyrants in upper management and hire people who have true leadership skills.

"Storage Consultant"

Current Employee - Storage Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Storage Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Optivest Properties (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were great for family and balance.

Cons

The pay was minimal but that wasn't the problem. It was close to impossible to move up in the company. I asked for more responsibility but always got shun out.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the people who are willing to learn and grow with the company.

"Horrible Corporate Office"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

I worked for the company 6 years. They do provide managers with a free apartment and utilities, but you better hope nothing breaks or needs repairs because you will have to literally wait years for anything to be fixed. Corporate does not take care of its managers. Yes, in addition to a crappy hourly salary, they will give you bonuses-but on their terms which can change midstream. Even the plan itself is subject to change yearly. One yr. it's based on revenue, another time it's based on budget. And don't allow too many move outs or Corp. will jump down your throat. The people running the Corp. office are numb sculls who don't have a clue about managing a local storage facility. They don't realize that the business can sometimes be seasonal. But once you are in THEIR apartment and under THEIR "rule", you are subject to them. They have you captured and can turn on you in a moment's notice. These people are vindictive bullies who you better not cross. Even if you bonus and have the best numbers, they will let you go if they don't like you.

Cons

Already shared a few. Just way too many. Be careful for these people will suck you in with their smiles and "friendly" ways only to turn on you later. Have a plan ready in case they give you 6 days to vacate the apartment or cut off your health insurance.

Advice to Management

Grow up! Your local managers are the best thing you have going for this company, but you will never realize that because of the greed that has sucked you in! Get outside of your world and learn the real business.

"A good company but needs to hire better (and smarter) facility managers."

Former Employee - Consultant in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Optivest Properties part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optivest is a good company to work for. I liked that they were VERY flexible with my school schedule. The pay is decent (as an entry-level worker) and anyone can execute the facility procedures. You just need to be trained. Give yourself a week working there and you'll master the procedures. However, learning the computer software will take longer. Working for the facilities that Optivest operates was super easy. Your responsibilities pretty much stay the same everyday. Optivest operates numerous facilities and I really liked the corporate management but I can't say the same for the managers they hire for the facilities they work with.

Cons

I worked at more than one facility and the facility managers I worked for usually had mediocre to below-average leadership abilities. Out of all the facilities I worked for, there was only one who demonstrated good leadership. But other than that one manager, all of them were uneducated, had no leadership traits, indecisive, (mostly) lazy, had no vision, made many mistakes, unable to handle difficult customers and computer illiterate. In essence, they really shouldn't have been managers but I'm aware why they get hired - because educated and successful-prone employees wouldn't work as a facility manager. So Optivest has to settle for mediocre candidates. Don't get me wrong though, because of their nature it made working there SUPER easy and stress-free. So that was a big plus. If you're one who doesn't care about that stuff (which is completely fine) then you would LOVE working there. Despite having mediocre managers I still recommend to work for them so as long as it's entry-level.

Advice to Management

Hire better-quality facility managers. I'm not entirely sure what the interview process is like but it definitely wasn't a good system in my opinion.

Optivest Properties Response

Nov 7, 2014 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate it!

10. "Best work experience I have ever had!"

I have been working at Optivest Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff/ co-workers, positive work atmosphere, tons of opportunities to grow and learn, management takes the time to help and stay well connected with employees.

Cons

No 401 K matching and a crumby dental plan.

11. "growth potential, rewarded for working hard"

I have been working at Optivest Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company values, opportunities to grow within the company, attainable goals, new training programs, they work to see what motivates you, your opinion matters.

Cons

if you aren't motivated, then you won't last here. storage itself is kind of boring and non- glamorous.

Advice to Management

consider offering 401k matching in the future

Optivest Properties Response