Optomi Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2019

4.3
Michael Winwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "As a recent hire for a contractor position, I have to say that this is a great company to work for/through" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great company culture, vision, and leadership" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Top IT staffing firm to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Optomi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I knew this company was a standout when I began interviewing with them. Everyone I was introduced to was genuine and truly cared about the company. They are doubling in size internally and creating offices in new markets each year. This company has the potential and resources to be leaders in the market.

Cons

The interview process was quite extensive, but it's truly because they really value who they bring in and want to make sure they are a culture fit.

"This is a tough industry but it's worth it"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Optomi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was reading some of the more negative reviews on here and it really inspired me to make my own posting because I've really had a positive experience here:
    - I was very passive when Optomi approached me but when I learned more about their approach to working with both clients and candidates/consultants in the industry, it became very clear that they're doing things better
    - I love our Consultant Care approach and the opportunities to be involved in the communities AND give back! My last organization dragged their feet to get involved in community outreach efforts and it really stood out to me that Optomi is dedicated to this mission to help deprived children in our local communities
    - I really feel that in comparison to other organizations doing what we do, Optomi has given me every opportunity to succeed and even surpass my own personal goals due to our high quality over quantity/work smart approach
    - It is refreshing to work with a team of COMPETENT and experienced recruiters rather than college graduates with zero industry experience; I'm sure our candidates and consultants also appreciate the quality work our Tech recruiters do
    - I love my leadership as they're literally always encouraging me and I truly feel supported by them; sometimes its tough love but that's how I become motivated and it works for me
    - Our Referral Program is AWESOME; I'm so grateful that leadership listens when we bring individuals from our network to work for this company because it's been such a positive impact on our office and overall culture, and the referral $$$ doesn't hurt either
    - More flexible hours has been such a breath of fresh air for me; If you're an early riser you can come in earlier and get out sooner & more work from home opportunities when "life happens"

Cons

This is a really challenging industry to work in; You MUST be prepared to work hard, continue to learn something new every day, STAY HUMBLE, and understand that there will be a lot of things that happen that are out of your control.

I think our training program is continuing to improve as it was definitely a rocky start, and I think that if you don't have prior industry experience that it can be a little harder to get up to speed on all of our processes. Stick with it though because the rewards are worth it!

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Tech Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tech Recruiter in Denver, CO

I worked at Optomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing it is a joke. If you are a college grad and want to be a recruiter do not work here.

Cons

Everything. You are lied to during the interview process. The only that is correct is that you get an Apple computer, which no one cares about. They target recent college grads because they are clueless and have no idea how the world works with jobs. Get ready to make no money. The training is a joke as well. Also if you are lucky enough to land a sales job good for you. Most recruiters make no money in the company and they hire you below market price.

Advice to Management

Get out of recruiting. Great you made money 20 years ago, the world of recruiting has changed. Also stop hiring college grads who are clueless, invest in your people and treat them like humans. Also, revamp the Denver office especially the sales team. The reason why people leave that office is because of that. Jobs are not real and they are not held accountable at all. It is a joke. Especially one salesperson in that office. You will not listen and you will not grow in this market.

4. "Very engaging environment"

I have been working at Optomi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are fantastic. In this company, the atmosphere definitely kindles professional friendships and a comfortable place for questions and immediate help. You will always have your colleagues checking up on you to see if everything is going well. Everyone who is currently here wants to be here and it really shows a thriving office environment. There seems to be a great room for growth.

Cons

Medical premiums are somewhat more expensive than average.

"Top-Tier Culture and Endless Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Optomi full-time

Pros

After being with the company for three years, it continues to be evident how much opportunity Optomi has to offer. Not only does Optomi have a top-tier culture, but with the fast pace of market growth leads to rising growth for not only top compensation, but also management roles if that is in your career objectives. Leadership from the Managing Director all the way to the CEO always have had an open-door policy always has your back, and always willing to take time out of their busy day to sit down and hear you out. Beyond that, a yearly trip to a tropical island doesn't hurt either!

Cons

While agency lift isn't for everyone and can require countless hours on the front end to build a top-tier pipeline of candidates, you are given every tool you need to be successful here at Optomi.

Advice to Management

Keep doing you and always doing "The Right Thing."

"Recruiter"

I have been working at Optomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at this company are what make it great. You also will have the opportunity to make solid money, and the autonomy to run your own "book of business"... as long as you are delivering! You will not be micromanaged at Optomi.

Cons

Any role where you are dealing with people is going to be stressful. Optomi does a great job though where I do not feel micromanaged and they give recruiters the time to find the right candidates! We are focused on quality, not quantity!

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on quality. Quality people and delivering the best IT talent out there so we can continue growing at this pace!

"Great firm to work with"

Former Employee - Linux Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Optomi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Optomi has great consultant care, they reach out on a regular basis to ensure that everything was going well at the client site. They company is small enough to make you not feel like just a number, but big enough to provide good pay and support.

Cons

Working as a contract employee at a client site is not the best.

Advice to Management

Ensure that they know what is happening at a client site before recruiting consultants

"Technical Recruiter"

I have been working at Optomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optomi is growing exponentially right now, so it is an exciting time to be a part of the organization.
    If you are one of the favorites, a lot is handed to you.
    If you're able to stick it out and work 75+ hours per week, you can make decent money.
    Coworkers are great!

Cons

You are always disappointing "mom" and "dad" even if you have been pretty successful. The metrics are strange and they change them on you ALL the time.
    Poor leadership from the ground up-scare tactics are used to "motivate" employees instead of actual support.
    I've never felt more terrified to ask for time off.
    When you do get to take time off, you are expected to be on call and working the entire time. There is no time to just relax.
    Nepotism.

Advice to Management

Try to celebrate the wins more, especially in some of the newer, struggling markets. Positive reinforcement goes a long way. Making your employees feel guilty for every single thing that goes wrong leads to a difficult work environment.

Optomi Response

Nov 20, 2018 – VP of Talent

As you noted, Optomi is growing exponentially well right now. Our growth is in large part credited to our employees being some of the best in our industry. They continually over-achieve on the high... More

"Always something to smile about"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Optomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is warm, encouraging and honest. Co-workers are great - like family. It's easy to "sell" all that this company has to offer. There's so much good that we are doing. And we're GOOD at it.

Cons

Difficult to find candidates for open positions, but that's the world we live in. Too much demand for the small supply of developers and other technologists. But we do a great job with networking and consultant care to keep in the loop with the good candidates.

Advice to Management

Work with us to figure out how to get more business. Getting meetings is the hardest part and we could use guidance on that from our executive chief experts.

"Optomi changed my life!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Optomi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I heard about Optomi from one of my childhood friends who works for Optomi!
    Last year, I took a leap of faith and moved for an opportunity that, little did I know, would change my life! I moved to Georgia to start a new career in a brand new industry with Optomi!

My stellar experience started from the very first conversation with the Internal Corporate Recruiter. She was very helpful to give me an insight into all the roles and opportunities available. We walked through my options and I felt as she was a career coach guiding me to the role that best fit my skillsets and matched my goals for my next step!

When I came in for my onsite interview with the Optomi team I had the opportunity to meet with multiple people in different roles to get an insight on what to expect, as well as conversed with Optomi Leadership which included the CSO and EVP. During these conversations, I realized Optomi is so much more than an IT Staffing Firm. Optomi is a company that wants to give back in everything that we do by giving back to our local communities each time a consultant is placed with one of our clients and quarterly give back days! Optomi also plays a huge part in being a career coach for everyone that we interact with and we are helping our consultants find their purpose, not just a job!

I started on the sales side as a Client Account Manager and switched to a Technical Recruiter role. In my first year, I hit my year goals and made it to our Platinum Club trip located in the Dominican Republic! But my favorite part about hitting my goals is that I was able to contribute even more in our giving back efforts as well!! With each placement, Optomi gives right back into our communities by providing food to food insecure children for a weekend worth of meals. I also have loved volunteering with multiple organizations that impact our local communities in all markets!

Another one of my favorite things about Optomi is that they are truly focused on having a great culture as we continue to grow. GROWTH is very predominate right now across all of our nine markets and with growth, there is continuously more opportunity! If you are looking for a company that will push you to become better, if you are self-motivated, and if you are determined to be successful by paving an innovative career path, then Optomi is for you! The recruiting industry can be tough but Optomi has the right training, supportive employees, and leadership to steer you in the right direction!

Almost two years down and I am looking forward to seeing where the next two will take me! Cheers!

Cons

In ways this is a con and others not but you will have to work more some weeks to get the results you want!