Opus Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Opus Bank Reviews

Updated Aug 13, 2019

Found 107 reviews

2.5
Opus Bank CEO Paul Taylor (no image)
Paul Taylor

"This could be a great place. Sr Relationship Banker"

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros are pay, hours, and our clients. I do like my work and many in the company.

Cons

There is skelton staff (so little we don't get breaks), poor training, poor treatment by some staff. My direct boss is highly and easily stressed, doesn't seem experienced or trained, said we are not allowed two 10 minute breaks, belittles me, expects me to read her mind, gets angry instead of communicates, will stop speaking to me, and I feel I have no where to turn. Everyone walks on eggshells wanting to stay off... the radar. Upper management doesn't seem concerned with employees well-being, or if they are mid management doesn't care. High expectations with low support. Sales model is lacking. Cold calling is ineffective and disliked by the public.

Advice to Management

Please care about employees and the kind of support and leadership you set for them. Be a place employees can turn. You have some great ones here, and they need you.

Opus Bank2018-03-28

"This place is not for the weak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity! The harder you work, the more you can succeed. This place offers great pay and they aren’t afraid to take care of the ones they want to keep. You are surrounded by smart, hardworking people (for the most part). Some people aren’t wired to work hard and those are the ones I see complaining about this place. The place runs lean, so you will have to adapt and figure out how to do a lot without guidance.... If that doesn’t work for you, don’t work at this bank.

Cons

Work/life balance is sometimes non -existent. Benefits could be better. 401k match is a joke.

Opus Bank2018-01-17

"Poor Retail Senior Management"

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are several amazing talented individuals with brilliant minds and capabilities that have been a pleasure to work with. Their experience and drive to research is admirable.

Cons

Senior management lacks leadership skills therefore fails to develop employees. Career advancement should be based on skill and commitment as opposed to friendships and likability. Retail Banking leaders consistently cover up poor practices and fail to disclose details with internal partners. Accountability tactics are non existent or unethically executed.

Advice to Management

Embrace talent instead of being threatened by it. Senior management should step down so actual leader can create a healthy work environment as opposed to a hostile one.

Opus Bank2018-01-04
  4. "Relationship Banking Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President Relationship Banking Manager

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Hours and flexibility and salary

Cons

High Sales Goals and changing of goals monthly

Advice to Management

None

Opus Bank2017-11-17
  5. "MD"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

Great young people that work very hard

Cons

The CEO has no IB experience and it shows. Its not about your face time its about closing business.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees don't yell. Ask questions and be open to alternative ways of business.

Opus Bank2017-10-20
  6. "Corporate Position"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

The management's leadership skills are lacking.

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead over dictate.

Opus Bank2017-10-04
  7. "Good place"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

Chill for a bank, being located west coast

Cons

None to say - enjoyed experience

Opus Bank2017-09-30
  8. "Checking out reviews for Opus"

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

Great place to work - always an opportunity for personal development

Cons

No cons at this time, am happy with all aspects of the company

Opus Bank2017-07-06

"VP, Relationship Banking Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President, Relationship Banking Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company does pay well.

Cons

I have been in the banking industry for 15 years and have had a very successful career. I moved to Opus, thinking that it would be a great career opportunity for me, but sadly, what I found was the opposite. I still work for the company and have been relatively successful, but the way Opus operates, one wonders how they are not drowning in lawsuits and penalties. There are many individuals, from senior management... to bankers that have the title but are not qualified to be in that position. And I say this not from bitterness, but facts. Upper management does not know where to take the company. They implement initiatives and pull them shortly after. They implement half baked ideas and strategies which blow up in their face (i.e. branches are assigned a certain industry and the employees have to represent themselves as subject matter experts (without any sort of training) within that industry. Once the employees face prospects they soon realize that they sound like bumbling idiots, which does not produce that ‘expert’ image which in turn looks very badly on the opus brand. Employees are just worker bees (expected to make 100 cold calls a day) that can be replaced at any time. For 2017, senior management set production and incentive goals for the year and in the MIDDLE of quarter 2 decided to change it all up, giving branches 6 weeks to raise deposits, etc and driving the stress level up through the roof. Any teller, a month into a banking job, knows the importance of operations within the banking industry, but that knowledge seemed to be non-existent for Opus within the first 5.5 years of its life. The operational integrity of the institution is a joke. There is absolutely no training for employees, but when mistakes are made due to lack of knowledge and training, everyone receives scorning emails which threaten their jobs if mistakes are made again. And sadly many individuals, who did not fall into the ‘favorite bucket’ fell victim to this process. The products and the services Opus offers to its clients are far below the industry standards. Employees fight to earn client relationships, to soon realize that we are harming them/handcuffing them by converting them over to Opus. The unwritten rule for Opus is, we want your deposits, we don’t really have many products to ease you life, we do not want you to withdraw your funds, but want you to bring more and more deposits to Opus Bank. Opus Bank can be a great institution, but this will only happen when executive management either changes or takes a hard long look at what makes a great company.

Advice to Management

To have a successful company, you must care about your employees and want their success. You must train them and think about their well being. You should look at institutions that have 92%, 88%, etc, CEO rating and learn from what they do. 41% CEO rating should be unacceptable.

Opus Bank2017-06-21

"VP, Banking Center Manager"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-paced work environment, plenty of room for advancement (if you earn it), excellent pay and bonus structure, very competent and hands-on management team. Expectations are clearly laid out and plenty of coaching/training is available if you take the initiative. Nothing here is handed to you, you need to speak up and ask if you run into obstacles.

Cons

Not necessarily cons, just a very different approach to retail banking. This company is not for everyone. If you appreciate hard work, good pay, balanced home/work life, and an ever-changing environment then this is the place for you. If you prefer a more traditional "order taker" approach to retail banking then you wont be a good fit.

Advice to Management

None. This company is managed the way the board and Sr. management sees fit. Excellent opportunity but again not for everyone.

Opus Bank2017-06-13