Opus Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Taylor

"Banking Center Manager"

Banking Center Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a place where if you work hard, embrace the culture and get over your own concept of what traditional banking should be you will love it. The people that do not like working here are those that refuse to adapt or accept that the banking industry is changing. Pay is excellent and promotional opportunities present often for those who earn them! Traditional tellers should stay away. If you can't or don't want... to sell please go to a 'competitor'. We have all worked too hard to bring people on who cannot or will not work to embrace the culture. Work and be rewarded. I've been promoted twice. The head of retail called me on a Sunday to thank me for my contribution and award me a sizable raise. The retail bank is evolving into something great. It's just not what you're used to.

Cons

The computer system isn't great. We need better training. Communication could improve. Everyone needs to understand why we do what we do.

Advice to Management

Focus on those that get it. Forget those that do not. This is a great company for the right people. Get more people on board that are on the boat. Get the ones who are not off.

Opus Bank2016-09-17

"Always scared running here and volitile mgmt. on all levels."

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

There's nothing I can say here except that they pay well. But pay isn't stopping me from keeping my eyes open for something more stable as soon as it opens up. I have a mortgage and family to think about plus and a kid about to go to college. And I always fear I'm on the chopping block.

Cons

Their business lending programs are terrible and the teller line computers always go down and the account opening process takes over an hour for a basic account.....more if doesn't go down too and lose the hour of work you just did.... Lack of staffing. Unreasonable goals in relation to skinny staffing. We just can't get out and our business clients are busy and need us to come to them. Not come to us in the center... only because we do not have enough coverage.

Advice to Management

More honest communication. Always feels like so many secrets are brewing in HQ.

Opus Bank2016-10-04

"Teller"

I worked at Opus Bank

Pros

There really is not a good reason. You could they give with no ability or authority to do the job.

Cons

Overwork people-low staff model. Do not provide tools to do the job.

Opus Bank2016-10-06

"Opus"

Sharepoint Developer in Everett, WA

I worked at Opus Bank for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, great place to work

Cons

Really had no Cons as everyone was nice to work for and worked with you in emergency to give you time off

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Opus Bank2016-08-19

"Run very fast from this horrible place!"

Former Employee - CEP

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

There were none. I don't have any. I just have to reach the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Another reviewer said it best, RUN! As fast as you can away from this joke of a "bank". You will work for a bunch of egotistical, uneducated, disrespectful and heartless people. I'm mainly referring to Senior Management who berate, belittle and cheat the staff on a daily basis. While I was there, bonuses were cut THE DAY BEFORE payouts with a conference call giving us some lame excuse as to why we weren't getting... paid. This happened more than once. So much gossip with a 'high school clique' type of environment with management. If you're not on the A Team, watch out. The entire bank is run with the cheapest system they could find, with computers constantly crashing while the staff tries to explain to clients why they can't have a receipt. Online banking is an absolute joke too. Clients complain all the time, but we can't do anything. Back office is hidden like the secret service, and bite your head off if your ask for help. Policy and procedure changes HOURLY and you should refer to your emails for the most recent update. Controls are so lax I'm sure there's lawsuits waiting to happen, if they haven't already.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people badly. Just stop.

Opus Bank2016-09-14

"Wouldn't recommend"

CSM in Washington, DC

I worked at Opus Bank

Pros

Salary was competitive. I liked my coworker.

Cons

We had to skip lunches and breaks about 50% of the time because we were so understaffed. Only 2 to 3 people work in each branch which just doesn't work. This also creates security issues, risk for robbery is increased, among other risks. Notified that incentive plan had changed the day we were supposed to get paid. The CEO simply had a fit and said no one who didn't book a certain type of loan would get paid. New... hires are simply not told the truth about float staff and incentive. 401k matching is only 1%, which is way below the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Treat your people with honesty and integrity. Be transparent. Don't change the incentive plan midstream unless it benefits the employees! I've worked at other banks and been in this business a long time. Don't treat people so badly.

Opus Bank2016-09-15
  7. "Rockstar ride"

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

entrepenerial, fast moving, exciting an driven

Cons

fast moving, fast growing, test of endurance...

Opus Bank2016-07-21

"A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Vice President in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opus Bank has one of the most entrepreneurial mindsets of any company I've ever worked with. Everyone here has the opportunity to shine if they're willing to put in the effort and take it.

Cons

Opus has a very fast-paced environment, and a lot is expected of every team member. This is not the type of company where you can expect to come in and just punch a clock every day and get paid.

Advice to Management

Continue to build on the growth opportunities seized, but never forget to keep the hearts of every team member central to decisions. Solicit input and feedback from all areas of the organization to keep team members actively involved in processes.

Opus Bank2016-06-29

"Not anything but a bank"

in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank for more than 3 years

Pros

Windows. Chairs, desk. Computer, coffee

Cons

Not an investment bank , know the difference between interment banking and a bank

Advice to Management

Do the know the rules and regs of being an investment bank naughty naughty

Opus Bank2016-07-31

"Service Manager"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

Pay is ok and the staff is welcoming and hard worker. I worked near my home so that was convenient for me and the systems were better than I was used to. The offices weren't open on Saturdays.

Cons

The training was horrible NONE. The back office personnel were not helpful. Over worked no work life balance. All the clients were accustomed to the things they were doing before which made it difficult.

Advice to Management

Promote for results not for who you know or how well you know them. It doesn't give the existing employees a chance to move up.

Opus Bank2016-06-29