Opus Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2019

2.6
Opus Bank CEO Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor
  1. "Utilize your past banking or sales experience to strenghten a new and upcoming bank."

Former Employee - Senior Client Experience Professional in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The old fashioned way of banking at Opus is a breath of fresh air conpaired to other rigid retail banks. The pay tends to be higher, and comission sales are offered as well. Great people from many other financial institutions gather at Opus.

Cons

The customer is always right, even when they are wrong they are right. The computer system is archaic and tough to navagate, even for experienced bankers.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, you paid good money onboarding them just to let them go on the smallest issue.

Opus Bank2016-05-20

"Opus Bank Retail"

Banking Center Manager

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

The compensation and incentive structure is geared towards true revenue growth -- if you drive profitable relationships to the bank that create a steady revenue stream, you will be compensated... Well. Additionally, upper management within the Retail division has many years of hands on experience in the banking industry, and will truly help you grow and thrive in your career. If you excel in a fast passed,... entrepreneurial environment, and are looking for accelerated career advancement opportunities, then Opus Bank is absolutely the place to be.

Cons

On the flip side of the pros, if you do not create actual revenue for the bank, you will not be compensated. This bank is not like other institutions that pay you an incentive for opening a $25.00 checking account for a college student -- if there is no immediate revenue generated by your office, then you will not receive any compensation. Additional investments should be made to build out the technology... infrastructure of the internal systems.

Advice to Management

Build out products and services that cater towards specific niche industries in the market.

Opus Bank2016-05-19

"Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Client Experience Professional

I worked at Opus Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

My in branch coworkers were wonderful. We had fun and were a well producing experience center. The pay is competitive and travel compensation is very good if you have to travel to appointments, or to cover other centers. The work can be very fun if you are able to get out and meet business owners or attend events.

Cons

Hostile and demeaning emails from upper management (specifically our area manager) which, while easily ignored, create an overall feeling of disrespect. Unfortunately, HR is made up of an unwelcoming group who do not make it easy to communicate issues. There is also no way to anonymously tell HR that you are having a problem. The way that the bank is run feels as though you would likely be fired or labeled a... "whiner" if you did report anything. Employees are regularly fired without warning or corrective measures. After posting a similar review, I was fired for posting my review without being asked to take it down or given additional training regarding social media policies despite being a decently performing employee who brought in appointments, showed up early to do reports, and used my own time at events to connect with business owners. Turnover is extremely high, mostly due to rumors that the bank will be sold off, an egotistical CEO (so I have been told by people who have worked with him directly) and a feeling that branch employees are not valued or respected, as well as a lack of product knowledge that leaves people feeling little faith in the product that they are selling. Lunch breaks, or breaks of any kind, are extremely few and far between at Opus Bank. This is not a major issue if you keep busy by sending mailers or emails to prospects, but don't expect to leave the office during the day. Opus Bank is very good at keeping people in the dark, and after a large "restructuring" which is a corporate way of saying layoffs - many people were left with the feeling that they could be fired at any moment regardless of performance. The people who were laid off were given little compensation, and no warning so they were unable to prepare for how they would feed their families over the following months. The systems are incredibly bad and very slow which leads to embarrassingly long waits for clients and the lack of training also creates a very uncomfortable scenario where people are unable to immediately and accurately answer client questions. During my time I called into other branches in order to gain more information and found that all of them had the same issue and was out on long holds and/or transferred every time. No product or sales training is provided, and people are hired without knowing that they will become telemarketers.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training. When someone makes a mistake, provide extra training and keep them on board at a probation period to ensure that they understand their error, then decide whether to fire them or keep them on based on performance. Appreciate your employees. It isn't all about money and we don't mind working for it.

Opus Bank2016-05-18

"Sales, Growth, & Opportunity"

Manager

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

Opus is a fast moving growing company. This is not your 1970's bank with 20 tellers who spend their days smoking and talking about their grandchildren. Opus is a bank for growing businesses that want/need capital and advice to grow. Leadership is driven which sometimes leads unmotivated employees to complain about being expected to work. If you want to sit around and wait for business to come your way this is... not the place to work. The branches are expected to cold call businesses and set appointments for their managers. I see alot of people complain about "telemarketing" but how else do you get in front of a $10MM a year business other than calling for an appointment? I work hard and have been recognized and rewarded often. There are no "tellers" if you work in a branch you are a sales professional. The Incentive is really good when you achieve your goals. I have grown my business banking acumen more in the last year than the first 10 yrs working at larger national banks.

Cons

You have to be willing to pick up the phone and call businesses for appointments. There seems to be a constant flow of change. Some of my peers whine alot. There are alot of people complaining about having to do their job which is not difficult if you are willing to work hard.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with the Branch people. The CEO should have a conf call with everyone outlining his plans and perspective for the bank. Alot of people don't understand his vision or passion for the bank.

Opus Bank2016-05-16

"Good people leave fast"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High salary to bring you in. Matched 401k and decent health benefits. Meets the standard with most other banks.

Cons

Communication breaks down. CEO doesn't believe in retail division, training and developing staff, or investing in retail staff members. There is no culture except for a softball team that the CEO admits sucks. Most attention is paid to commercial bank and efficiency ratios. They want to look good on paper but don't care about the people. They admit their technology is clunky. Most people don't stay beyond 2-3 years.... People haven't received bonuses or raises in 3 years. CEO took away bonuses the day before they were supposed to be paid out. Most experienced people have already left.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people or get out of retail banking. If you want to just be a commercial bank, fine, but don't pretend there is a work culture beyond Irvine (HQ)

Opus Bank2016-05-15

"Good and Bad, I have been treated fine"

in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

If you perform you are well compensated, good people to work with. Sr Mgmt is laser focused on returns

Cons

You must hit your goal or you will be toast, The branches did not perform so staffs were cut. Operationally clumsy, the Bank is taking on risky loans, the CFO is weak

Opus Bank2016-05-13

"Manager"

Vice President Retail Banking Manager

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

Freedom to think for yourself, ability to grow based on performance, encouraged to be creative, direct line to upper management. Opus Bank is growing so there will be much more opportunities for advancement in the future. The back office departments which support the branch are responsive and you do not have to go through a script with someone on the phone to solve a problem with you. Very excited for the future... growth of this company and to be a part of it.l

Cons

Finding the right staff and retaining them has been a challenge. Very little name brand recognition.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward and grow your sales force. Keep creating and improving on our products and processes.

Opus Bank2016-05-11

"You will regret the experience and the time wasted"

I worked at Opus Bank

Pros

You're employed. That's the only pro I can come up with.

Cons

One of the worst places I have ever worked. Slow computers, managers that have no idea what they are doing, cheap with salaries, bonuses, promotions. You can never achieve a high rating on evaluations, no matter how hard you work. You're lied to consistently and never acknowledged for anything. Employees are referred to as team members, but that is a joke. If you try to offer a new approach or question practices... in place you are branded as uncooperative and not a team player. The office politics practiced at this place are some of worst I've ever seen. You better have good mental health care to work here, you'll need it. The turnover in employees is very high and moral is very low. Very little opportunity for career growth, depending on who are and what you do. The harder you work, the more they want until you can't take the abuse anymore.

Advice to Management

None, since you wouldn't listen to it anyway and wouldn't care.

Opus Bank2016-05-10

"Cheap, micromanaging, dictatorship that is not open to feedback."

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has strong growth potential

Cons

The strong growth mentioned above is because they are unbelievably cheap with spending, and it kills morale to an unbelievable level. They also don't allow for any innovation or critical thinking, but rather just tell you what to do.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, actually reward them and allow people to think on their own..it will help you grow the company much better in the long run.

Opus Bank2016-04-23

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow co-workers are very nice and the talented ones leave on a daily basis.

Cons

No integrity in Executive Leadership, they will lie to everyone, external and internal No growth within the organization

Advice to Management

Appreciate the most important asset of your company: its employees

Opus Bank2016-04-22