Opus Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Opus Bank CEO Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor

"Analyst"

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Superior growth opportunity and exposure to other groups in the firm.

Cons

I've seen other struggle without an exact personality match with the culture

Advice to Management

None

Opus Bank2016-04-22

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time

Pros

This is a fast paced environment with considerable opportunity for advancement. The leadership team is open to new ideas and better ways of doing business. I would highly recommend looking at Opus bank if you are in the market.

Cons

Opus is only in 4 states currently and I would like to see them grow to a lager footprint. I think the pay is competitive, but would like to see a more robust retirement plan.

Opus Bank2016-04-18

"YOU WILL REGRET IT......"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Opus Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros..there are no pros to working for this monstrosity of a financial institution. I worked here for over four years, was promoted more than once, a top performing employee - consistently hitting sales goals but it is NEVER enough for Opus. At the end of the day you stop trying and end up hating your job because it won't matter how good or bad you are - it all sucks. If you work in Retail you are nothing to them... because all they care about is protecting their executive team who is only there to berate the rest of us. Things got really bad when they brought on a guy who now heads up all of Retail Banking (hatchet man). He thought it was a great idea to take the bonus money that his bankers had already earned away from them (twice) and shortly after that we were laying off 10% of the work force and only have 2.5 FTE in each branch. A person in a remote location was sick (violently ill) and because there was only two people in that office they couldn't go home because there was nobody there to cover. What if that was a ruptured appendix or worse? Lawsuits waiting to happen but they don't care - it's a numbers game to them so they will make us all suffer in the off chance that someone may be in danger. Criminals.

Cons

So many I can't keep track. The CEO is a megalomaniac and complete narcissist. There is a conference call every Friday morning for department heads. It is referred to as his Friday morning BEAT DOWN. No joke and he does beat you down. The sad thing is that we all hear of the stories on the news and other shows about dirty bankers not being held accountable for their actions. This is another example of greedy,... selfish corporate bankers doing what they do best - not caring about their employees at all - only their profit margins, and how much work they can squeeze out of us before we collapse. I would love for any real journalist to have an actual crack at these guys. They really need to be taken down a notch. Let's put them in this situation for a period of time and see how they like not having the freedom to go to the bathroom when they want to because their aren't enough people in the bank. I heard an executive (who meant well) say on a conference call that while going to shop another bank she noticed that one banker was going out on a sales call (how did she know that?) and that left only one teller in the lobby. She asks that person how she could be there all alone. The teller told her that the camera counts as dual control. She made it sound as if we should all be so lucky that we weren't being left alone with cameras all day. I laughed. Out loud. So there you have it - work at Opus and your coworker will be the camera on the wall LOL!!

Advice to Management

If you are going to sell - sell. Do whatever you are gearing up to do and do it quickly because nobody wants you around. You are a terrible bank to work for or be a client of. You have Area Managers that don't know what they are doing, and are only trying to replicate the bad behavior that they see you executives doing. Stop. If you are not going to sell anytime soon. God help all of your employees. Really, I mean... that. How many people resigning does it take to show you that you're doing it wrong? Just the dollars that you are going to have to spend in training alone should help you understand the mistakes you're making.

Opus Bank2016-04-18

"Great Experience"

Credit Risk Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Opus Bank for more than a year

Pros

Organized Training Career Succession Knowledgable Managers

Cons

Pay could be higher for the area (Southern California)

Opus Bank2016-04-14

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, lots of room to grow and Opus promotes within. Definitely an entrepreneurial atmosphere and energetic environment. Loves hard workers and thinkers.

Cons

It's a young bank, so everyone is still trying to find the best way to do things. Systems can be finicky and this does cause extra work and can take up a lot of your time. At least they are always looking to improve the issues. Goals are high but attainable with hard work.

Advice to Management

Keep plugging away at making things more efficient and embrace all of the talent Opus employees have.

Opus Bank2016-04-08

"Retail Manager"

Vice President in La Habra Heights, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Opus Bank for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide service area. Good products.

Cons

Good old boys club. Name is too awkward.

Advice to Management

Diversify your teams.

Opus Bank2016-04-01
  7. "Opus Bank"

I worked at Opus Bank part-time

Pros

Pay was competitive. Job Growth is fair.

Cons

Not the best communication, still growing company. Need to be adaptable because there is a lot of change.

Opus Bank2016-03-23
  8. "Life at Opus"

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Opus Bank

Pros

They were highly competitive and let me grow more. I always felt like part of a team even though the base pay was low relative to my peers.

Cons

There was a low base pay and lots of rivalry to close a deal. Highly stressful environment and long hours.

Advice to Management

I recommend that management focuses more on its people as opposed to trying to reach quarterly sales metrics and goals. I would improve the health benefits packages.

Opus Bank2016-03-17

""New Bank, Experienced Bankers" is a joke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Opus Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are nice for the most part, company is stable

Cons

This bank is not for "new" bankers, as there is no training, and the one "trainer" that the bank does have is terrible! Even so, the systems suck, as the company bought a base-package and errors happen often because it's outdated and cheap. Company laid off 10%+ of office staff in January and now employees on the front line are at the bare minimum, which isn't too bad as most offices are extremely slow, but makes... scheduling days off difficult to plan. Raises and bonuses never happen, and if they do, the company cancels it at the last minute, citing some stupid excuse as to why it won't pay people for sales they made. I've never worked for a company that cares so little for its front line staff.

Advice to Management

Hire trainers that know what they are doing and build a more robust training curriculum, pay people what they are due and what they've earned, stop looking at the bottom dollar all the time so much that you forget to be a decent human being!!

Opus Bank2016-03-15

"Violating Workers Rights"

I have been working at Opus Bank

Pros

None and these are just additional four required words

Cons

Not enough staff, so workers often aren't given breaks. I've complained more than once. Whistleblower through the company does nothing.

Advice to Management

Don't fire 10% of the company without thinking. Don't expect workers to do more for the company when they are treated this way.

Opus Bank2016-03-09